+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread - Barnsley (FA Cup)

We need 36 points from 29 games not 19.

That second half performance must be equal to one of Nolan's shocking away defeats. But the chips and gravy were the best ive ever had at a football ground...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyisgod View Post
    We need 36 points from 29 games not 19.
    Yes I accept it was a typo, but my point remains we have 14 points from 17 games and at that rate it’s a shocking 0.82 points per game. If things stay like this it means we are on course to finish on 38 points at best. That is simply not good enough and unacceptable and could see us in serious danger of being relegated.

This is why we need to open our eyes that at this point in time and accept we are in trouble. Things need to improve on the pitch and quickly starting with Cheltenham at home next Saturday.

36 points from 29 games is 10 wins and 6 draws which is 1.24 points per game. That leaves us with a maximum of 13 more defeats which on paper sounds like it’s easy. But it’s not when we have lost 9 from 17.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I agree with your first point, which is why I would have gone for Paul Hurst a couple of years ago when he was at Grimsby.

Can't agree with your second point though. Winning a few games in non-league may suggest that there's a good manager there, but there's no way anyone knew that Cowley was destined for better things. Look at Gary Mills - he won plenty of games at Grantham, King's Lynn and Tamworth - was he destined to go on to bigger things? Lincoln took a punt, pure and simple. It turned out they were right, but it was a punt all the same.

Imagine the uproar if Notts had signed Cowley at the time!
    The season before Lincoln appointed Cowley, he'd taken Braintree Town (a part-time, tiny team) to the play-offs for promotion to the Football League. Mills had never managed above the Southern Premier division, two below that. There's no real comparison IMO.

I actually suggested Cowley as someone we should be going for at the time, when we appointed Sheridan.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    The season before Lincoln appointed Cowley, he'd taken Braintree Town (a part-time, tiny team) to the play-offs for promotion to the Football League. Mills had never managed above the Southern Premier division, two below that. There's no real comparison IMO.

I actually suggested Cowley as someone we should be going for at the time, when we appointed Sheridan.
    I remember you suggesting him, fair play to you for that.

His style of football is perfect for the lower divisions but do you think the football purists on here would've taken to him?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I remember you suggesting him, fair play to you for that.

His style of football is perfect for the lower divisions but do you think the football purists on here would've taken to him?
    I'm not sure. I think that there are a lot of reasons why managers are largely doomed to failure at Notts, in that we haven't had an obvious, coherent plan for quite a long time, and i've got no idea whether he would've been able to overcome that.

We were the closest we've been in a long time over the summer, and for whatever reason it fell apart and we chose not to build on a very solid platform but to rip everything up and start again. I suspect a combination of complacency from Nolan who thought just signing better players would naturally mean that we got better, and an owner who was too easily influenced on social media by a minority of fans who spent the entire season complaining about a 'style of football' that was actually leading us to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I'm not sure. I think that there are a lot of reasons why managers are largely doomed to failure at Notts, in that we haven't had an obvious, coherent plan for quite a long time, and i've got no idea whether he would've been able to overcome that.

We were the closest we've been in a long time over the summer, and for whatever reason it fell apart and we chose not to build on a very solid platform but to rip everything up and start again. I suspect a combination of complacency from Nolan who thought just signing better players would naturally mean that we got better, and an owner who was too easily influenced on social media by a minority of fans who spent the entire season complaining about a 'style of football' that was actually leading us to be successful.
    Pretty accurate assessment. There is a lot to be said for just employing a proven manager, giving him a decent budget and time.

I follow the Portsmouth forums (because I had a bet on them last year) and they wanted Kenny Jacket out last year, even though he almost got them to the playoffs with a load of kids. This year he kept the best of the young players, bought a couple of solid but unspectacular players from the division above, a successful punt on an unproven Irish player, and bingo they're winning the league.

Wycombe fans wanted Gareth Ainsworth out last season, said he was tactically useless. The chairman stood by him and with not a massive budget or any real stars he got them up at the second attempt.
    John Coleman took three seasons to get Accrington up, we would have hounded him out eigh**** months previous when they tailed off.
    I'm not happy with things, Oldham was dire but he didn't lose the game, has only made three signings, all out of contract players .
    If two managers can't get this lot beyond third bottom, it may be that this is as good as they are collectively.
    The one single consistency at the club the last few years has been too much player churn and too many managers.
    Unless we do sign a very good manager like Hurst, who was abysmal for Ipswich by the way, we'd be as well to just take the hysteria down a notch or two and allow Kewell to build on his three wins and four draws.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    That second half performance must be equal to one of Nolan's shocking away defeats. But the chips and gravy were the best ive ever had at a football ground...
    I've never understood why you'd mix gravy with chips, it sends them soggy and 'orrible.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Wycombe fans wanted Gareth Ainsworth out last season, said he was tactically useless. The chairman stood by him and with not a massive budget or any real stars he got them up at the second attempt.
    John Coleman took three seasons to get Accrington up, we would have hounded him out eigh**** months previous when they tailed off.
    I'm not happy with things, Oldham was dire but he didn't lose the game, has only made three signings, all out of contract players .
    If two managers can't get this lot beyond third bottom, it may be that this is as good as they are collectively.
    The one single consistency at the club the last few years has been too much player churn and too many managers.
    Unless we do sign a very good manager like Hurst, who was abysmal for Ipswich by the way, we'd be as well to just take the hysteria down a notch or two and allow Kewell to build on his three wins and four draws.
    I honestly believe that we as fans have become so used to the "Merry go round" that we are showing less & less patience & expecting almost immediate change if we hit a poor patch. There is & has always been an argument to sack any manager we have ever had & there will always be certain fans who dislike certain managers( I couldn't stand Ince) but even at the risk of relegation sooner or later we have got to give a manager our backing.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast