+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Post Today At Oakwell

He should ask not to be included in the squad , he's happy to get paid in England isn't he ? ( the enemy country ) , al leave it alone now , not worth mentioning anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    He should ask not to be included in the squad , he's happy to get paid in England isn't he ? ( the enemy country ) , al leave it alone now , not worth mentioning anymore.
    There you go , explanation in full as to why he doesn't wear the poppy on his shirt .

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...-a-poppy-Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Last post at cenotaph in Barnsley was Superb today , Biggest crowd of people I've ever seen there, for Rememberance day , god bless them , all the young Scouts, Cubs, etc a big credit , all looked proud , marching alongside our Service Personnel , emotional day , leaving it there .mixed emotions xx
    Very proud of my ****age daughter Roma who wore her poppy at work all weekend, her manager commented on it and decided to close the store for the two minutes silence,
    Her great grandads all survived WW2 but were killed by working in the pits.

Respect to all you have served and serve today.

Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post
    Very proud of my ****age daughter Roma who wore her poppy at work all weekend, her manager commented on it and decided to close the store for the two minutes silence,
    Her great grandads all survived WW2 but were killed by working in the pits.

Respect to all you have served and serve today.
    That's fair enough and I respect your view .

However I'm not buying all of this CURRENT armed forces celebrity status .

The emergency services in this country also put their lives on the line every single day they clock on , there are also equally dangerous jobs in oilfields and extracting gas that we all rely on to name but two .

It seems to me the right have hijacked this thing for their own political purpose and it's wrong .

Just my humble opinion .

In my view with modern day forces. If you aren't conscripted and die in a war it's a occupational hazard. Too many people sign up and think it's great to get their HGV licence and go skiing whilst on leave and see the world. They don't like the bit where they get shot at.

Then you get their relatives seeking compensation from the government on calander or look North when they come home in body bags.

Going back to WW1. I remember them and am deeply saddened by the needless loss of life in a stupid war. Going over the top into no mans land to be mowed down by machine gun fire. They were brave going out to their certain death and knowing it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    In my view with modern day forces. If you aren't conscripted and die in a war it's a occupational hazard. Too many people sign up and think it's great to get their HGV licence and go skiing whilst on leave and see the world. They don't like the bit where they get shot at.

Then you get their relatives seeking compensation from the government on calander or look North when they come home in body bags.

Going back to WW1. I remember them and am deeply saddened by the needless loss of life in a stupid war. Going over the top into no mans land to be mowed down by machine gun fire. They were brave going out to their certain death and knowing it too.
    They didn't have much choice steve , if they hadn't followed orders they would have faced a firing squad for cowardice .

Absolutely senseless war , tragic in fact .

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post

Steve agree with you
    From 1914 -16 men volunteered & I honestly believe they had no idea what awaited them [so very very sad]
    bear in mind there was no internet or mobile phones & the Government kept a very tight lid on news
    Total respect for what they gave or should I say what was taken from them by idiots like Earl Haig

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Steve agree with you
    From 1914 -16 men volunteered & I honestly believe they had no idea what awaited them [so very very sad]
    bear in mind there was no internet or mobile phones & the Government kept a very tight lid on news
    Total respect for what they gave or should I say what was taken from them by idiots like Earl Haig
    I also think the war had a huge effect on the men who survived it in 1918 .

Having gone through such horrors they found the strength to try and improve their lives when they returned from the trenches , they weren't taking it anymore and the Labour Party and Trade Unions were to be their vehicle to demand a better life after serving their country and used as fodder just to protect royalty , which in effect is what WW1 was all about .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I also think the war had a huge effect on the men who survived it in 1918 .

Having gone through such horrors they found the strength to try and improve their lives when they returned from the trenches , they weren't taking it anymore and the Labour Party and Trade Unions were to be their vehicle to demand a better life after serving their country and used as fodder just to protect royalty , which in effect is what WW1 was all about .
    So much so that it was ended by a treaty being signed because no gains were being made on the Western front.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    That's fair enough and I respect your view .

However I'm not buying all of this CURRENT armed forces celebrity status .

The emergency services in this country also put their lives on the line every single day they clock on , there are also equally dangerous jobs in oilfields and extracting gas that we all rely on to name but two .

It seems to me the right have hijacked this thing for their own political purpose and it's wrong .

Just my humble opinion .
    Mmm.. and I suppose the old commie rocking up to the cenotaph yesterday in an old anorak and scruffy shoes wasn't a nod to his politics at all Animal.

Just to add balance like

Should only be about remembrance and respect, turning it into a political message is a disgrace in my opinion.Something on which I'm sure we cAN both agree on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast