+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW 1 Remembrance Sunday 11th November 2018

WW 1 Remembrance Sunday 11th November 2018

My home is surrounded by village cemeteries with rows upon rows of crisp white stones with that heartbreaking inscription “Known unto God” which stand as an eternal record of what so many gave for the liberty of Britain and the world.

.............. my simple kayak moored on the beach near my home makes me realise just exactly what those brave men & women ultimately gave and who sadly never made it back to loved ones across the water that I'm now honoured to paddle on most days .................

Many during WW1 gave their lives and futures between 28th July 1914 & 11th November 1918 - some of whom represented Leeds City AFC.

"Lest We Forget"

https://www.footballandthefirstworld...rst-world-war/
    MOT

We will remember them.

No we don't. If.we, collectively, remembered all (and I mean ALL), of those who fell and have fallen to make what we regard as freedom, there would be no need for the Legion, no need for the annual poppy appeal, all would be funded by a grateful nation. But we're not grateful, we're expectant, impaiteint for what we think we are entitled.to, indignant when challenged and offended when it is suggested we should do more for ourselves and our fellow citizens.

God save us, because there is absolutely no likelihood of us saving ourselves.

I'm sure Mrs.O started this thread simply as a means of a thank you to those that did sacrifice for us. Not as a political right or wrong. Whether you are right or not, just don't think your timing is great to denounce what everyone else thinks of Remembrance Day in the same thread. Start a separate one with the negative thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    I'm sure Mrs.O started this thread simply as a means of a thank you to those that did sacrifice for us. Not as a political right or wrong. Whether you are right or not, just don't think your timing is great to denounce what everyone else thinks of Remembrance Day in the same thread. Start a separate one with the negative thoughts on the subject.
    I'll be at the Canadian war memorial in the New Forest, as I am every year come rain or shine, hell or high water.

You misread my post. We (those who attend/contribute), will remember, but society generally doesn't care, why I don't really know.

As for my timing, just when would it be appropriate to voice criticism of society for the way we treat each other, if not today?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I'll be at the Canadian war memorial in the New Forest, as I am every year come rain or shine, hell or high water.

You misread my post. We (those who attend/contribute), will remember, but society generally doesn't care, why I don't really know.

As for my timing, just when would it be appropriate to voice criticism of society for the way we treat each other, if not today?
    Well you need to be more careful with your choice of words then. In response to a comment of we will remember, you wrote "No WE won't". Which basically hints that a lot of people don't! You obviously do though by your latest response, so was left to an ordinary interpretation earlier.
    And I still don't think now was the correct time to shift the spotlight from the purpose of the day...whether the government is doing enough or not. At least wait till the day of recognition is over and highlight any inadequacies. Just takes away from where our thoughts should be. Only my opinion though....

Lest we Forget.

RIP to all those who gave their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Well you need to be more careful with your choice of words then. In response to a comment of we will remember, you wrote "No WE won't". Which basically hints that a lot of people don't! You obviously do though by your latest response, so was left to an ordinary interpretation earlier.
    And I still don't think now was the correct time to shift the spotlight from the purpose of the day...whether the government is doing enough or not. At least wait till the day of recognition is over and highlight any inadequacies. Just takes away from where our thoughts should be. Only my opinion though....
    And we are all entitled to an opinion, and to express it, the freedoms those who fought and died or were injured gave us with their sacrifice.

However there ARE a lot.of people who take what we have today for granted, an entitlement rather than a privilege. My daughter is a paramedic in London, and is repeatedly called out to drunks, addicts and "regulars" who know how to play the system in getting a lift to hospital when they are perfectly capable of getting there themselves.

A metaphor for what I was referring to. If society as a whole cared, really cared, and remembered and respected the sacrifices those who fell in some foreign field (and closer.to home), that story couldn't be told.

Our thoughts should be on all those who gave us what we have, but also on why they were called upon to do so, (and not just today). Then maybe those in positions of power who collectively failed to prevent past conflicts would work harder to prevent them in the future (yeah, as if).

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    And we are all entitled to an opinion, and to express it, the freedoms those who fought and died or were injured gave us with their sacrifice.

However there ARE a lot.of people who take what we have today for granted, an entitlement rather than a privilege. My daughter is a paramedic in London, and is repeatedly called out to drunks, addicts and "regulars" who know how to play the system in getting a lift to hospital when they are perfectly capable of getting there themselves.

A metaphor for what I was referring to. If society as a whole cared, really cared, and remembered and respected the sacrifices those who fell in some foreign field (and closer.to home), that story couldn't be told.

Our thoughts should be on all those who gave us what we have, but also on why they were called upon to do so, (and not just today). Then maybe those in positions of power who collectively failed to prevent past conflicts would work harder to prevent them in the future (yeah, as if).
    I don't necessarily disagree with the basis of your thoughts or opinion, but didn't think the thread deserved the negativity today when the sole purpose of it was to acknowledge the fallen. Nothing else. Not sure why I am responding again either, as the past has shown me that you will simply to have the final word on it. All yours...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)