+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections On Yesterday

Reflections On Yesterday

Have to say I was 50/50 heading up as regards how this was going to pan out. Sure we'd had a great bounce on the back of Robbie Neilson's appointment, but if I'm being honest the results we had achieved pre yesterday were really what we would all expect of a Dundee United side, admittedly not having been achieved under Shambles. Yesterday was going to prove a much stiffer test and I would have taken a draw pre game.

The match itself actually turned out exactly as I thought it would, in so much that Dross County had plenty of the ball and were hammer throwing their way left right and centre, led by the hammer thrower in chief himself, Ross 'My Legs Are Bandier Than Jim Leighton's' Draper.

BUT, the team stood up to and more than matched their effort, endeavour and physicality. In many ways they actually seemed to relish the challenge. And as we know in this division, if you match the opposition's effort first and foremost then your extra wee bit of quality should shine through. As it did with the great finish by Watson for the only goal.

Off the park, that has to be one of the best supports I've had the pleasure to sit in with, particularly down the right side of the stand where the main 'action' was. . From first whistle to last, the singing just, never, ever stopped and the reaction of the team at the end obviously indicated how very much appreciated it was by the side and how it clearly helped them over the line. RN referenced it strongly in his post match thoughts.

Moving forward as RN said, we have to be 'all in this together' - Club, Team, Support. For the first time, in what feels like a long, long time we have actually beaten one of our main rivals, away from home, at an important part of the season. Further, yet another clean sheet garnered, which again moving forward will have a psychological effect on opposition, knowing from the first whistle that should they go behind against us, then it is going to be bloody difficult to get back into the game. Clean sheets is what will ultimately win this League.

Yes, I have had the pleasure to watch much, much better quality sides than this current Dundee United team, but if I'm being honest, I have rarely seen a side with such an absolute determination to get a result that that team displayed yesterday. I don't think County had one single chance in that second half.

Credit to RN. Credit to the Team. And credit to the support. We all worked together to get that yesterday - and we are going to need to KEEP doing it one game at a time until this bloody nightmare is finally over. But, it is starting to feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And it's not a train coming the other way..............

Finally, further credit to the team managing to get a result a.e.t. as well. Where the actual phuck did that idiot in the middle manage to find FIF**** minutes in total injury time?
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 11-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.

I knew Neilson was the right man for us and we were so close to delaying and losing out so ty County for that pumping at Tannadice

Thing is it's not just about this season, really want this to be a 3-4 year project minimum for him to really get us to where we can and should be be

Other things that should be mentioned, the Edge deserves huge credit for the last two games, we now know we have depth at centre back if he can perform like that, and Murdoch at left back done very well but all accounts

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Have to say I was 50/50 heading up as regards how this was going to pan out. Sure we'd had a great bounce on the back of Robbie Neilson's appointment, but if I'm being honest the results we had achieved pre yesterday were really what we would all expect of a Dundee United side, admittedly not having been achieved under Shambles. Yesterday was going to prove a much stiffer test and I would have taken a draw pre game.

The match itself actually turned out exactly as I thought it would, in so much that Dross County had plenty of the ball and were hammer throwing their way left right and centre, led by the hammer thrower in chief himself, Ross 'My Legs Are Bandier Than Jim Leighton's' Draper.

BUT, the team stood up to and more than matched their effort, endeavour and physicality. In many ways they actually seemed to relish the challenge. And as we know in this division, if you match the opposition's effort first and foremost then your extra wee bit of quality should shine through. As it did with the great finish by Watson for the only goal.

Off the park, that has to be one of the best supports I've had the pleasure to sit in with, particularly down the right side of the stand where the main 'action' was. . From first whistle to last, the singing just, never, ever stopped and the reaction of the team at the end obviously indicated how very much appreciated it was by the side and how it clearly helped them over the line. RN referenced it strongly in his post match thoughts.

Moving forward as RN said, we have to be 'all in this together' - Club, Team, Support. For the first time, in what feels like a long, long time we have actually beaten one of our main rivals, away from home, at an important part of the season. Further, yet another clean sheet garnered, which again moving forward will have a psychological effect on opposition, knowing from the first whistle that should they go behind against us, then it is going to be bloody difficult to get back into the game. Clean sheets is what will ultimately win this League.

Yes, I have had the pleasure to watch much, much better quality sides than this current Dundee United team, but if I'm being honest, I have rarely seen a side with such an absolute determination to get a result that that team displayed yesterday. I don't think County had one single chance in that second half.

Credit to RN. Credit to the Team. And credit to the support. We all worked together to get that yesterday - and we are going to need to KEEP doing it one game at a time until this bloody nightmare is finally over. But, it is starting to feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And it's not a train coming the other way..............

Finally, further credit to the team managing to get a result a.e.t. as well. Where the actual phuck did that idiot in the middle manage to find FIF**** minutes in total injury time?
    Quite possibly the most beautiful piece of work Ive ever read on here. 👌

Shed Rule.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Other things that should be mentioned, the Edge deserves huge credit for the last two games, we now know we have depth at centre back if he can perform like that, and Murdoch at left back done very well but all accounts
    Question is will Frans, Booth and Robson get back in the team? I also assume from the commentary that Siegrist might have kept us in the game at times?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Question is will Frans, Booth and Robson get back in the team? I also assume from the commentary that Siegrist might have kept us in the game at times?
    Siegrist had one he flicked over the bar from a header after 2 minutes. Thereafter I genuinely cannot remember him having to deal with nothing other than regulation crosses into the box. Which he dealt with easily. Don't be fooled by any reports or anything Kettlewell spouted. County created hee haw. And they knew it.

One of the best posts i have read on here in years which takes some doing considering i have posted over 12,000 masterpieces.

That's a braw post, going to go watch the Goal and the Glory on VHS for the ump****th time it's inspired me so much!
    In seriousness it is a great post and while I didn't manage to go yesterday was listening to arabzone and the fans sang the whole game and it never felt that County were going to score.
    undefeated home record, cuffing teams 5-0, a squad heavily invested in yet we made them look ordinary. Great effort

Any news on the injuries?

Would expect Fyvie to miss the Alloa game, but hope he is back again for Ayr. Watson being injured in itself is no biggie as i think Booth will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Any news on the injuries?

Would expect Fyvie to miss the Alloa game, but hope he is back again for Ayr. Watson being injured in itself is no biggie as i think Booth will be back.
    Nothing in the paper last night regarding Fyvie. We seen him walking out the ground Saturday evening and he seemed to be walking away fine so hopefully it was just precautionary. I would say that if he is fit then he plays v Alloa. We are still playing catch up and can't phuck about with this if I'm being honest. Once we have the luxury of being a few points clear at the top (if we manage that) we can maybe squad rotate.

I think I read today Fyvie is getting a scan to assess the extent of the injury with the how that is not to bad and he'll be available for Alloa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)