+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooneys "testimonial'

I think his ill advised comments about the England fans after Englands woeful performaces in S Africa did himself no favours

Amazed he got so many goals not many were against top class opposition , can't compare him with the likes of Charlton , Hurst , Greaves etc , who did it playing the best , one lucky fella is Rooney , never ever World Class , just buld up by the Media ,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Amazed he got so many goals not many were against top class opposition , can't compare him with the likes of Charlton , Hurst , Greaves etc , who did it playing the best , one lucky fella is Rooney , never ever World Class , just buld up by the Media ,
    Correct , how many of those goals were scored at major tournaments or against top notch opposition , not many .

If Bobby Charlton had played against the likes of Andorra , San Marino or Belarus he'd have got a 100 goals for England .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Whilst I agree that this testimonial or whatever it is is totally daft and wrong, I think a player who's scored a record 50 odd goals for England should be held in better esteem than he seems to be. He was not world class was Rooney but he was a very good footballer. Its an achievement that deserves a great deal of credit in my opinion. Many have tried and failed in the 40 odd years that Bobby Charltons record stood
    He was decent but nothing special , a big chunk of his goals were against tiny Eastern European country’s plus a hand full against San Marino plus only one goal scored in the World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post

Roma
    Just to add balance Greaves scored once for England in major tournaments. Listen mate I'm not denigrating the great goalscorer that was Jimmy Greaves(one of my footballing heroes) at all but England were mullering teams in the early 60s by 6,7,8 and in Scotland's case 9-3! Greaves was the best imo but England had a far better team back then compared to Rooneys era.

Whilst I agree Rooney isn't in Greaves or Charltons class he certainly int lucky to ev scooared 50 odd goals for England. He deserves credit as i said in previous post.

Exile

Tha reight abart that 2010 world cup when Rooney blotted his copybook by slating the fans. That was unclassy and totally out of order. Folk still wouldn't have forgiven him for that which I can understand

Roma
    Just to add balance Greaves scored once for England in major tournaments. Listen mate I'm not denigrating the great goalscorer that was Jimmy Greaves(one of my footballing heroes) at all but England were mullering teams in the early 60s by 6,7,8 and in Scotland's case 9-3! Greaves was the best imo but England had a far better team back then compared to Rooneys era.

Whilst I agree Rooney isn't in Greaves or Charltons class he certainly int lucky to ev scooared 50 odd goals for England. He deserves credit as i said in previous post.

Exile

Tha reight abart that 2010 world cup when Rooney blotted his copybook by slating the fans. That was unclassy and totally out of order. Folk still wouldn't have forgiven him for that which I can understand
    I was in Lisbon the night Rooney as an 18 year old played one of his first games for England against France @ Euro 2004 .

The lad tore the french back four a new ass hole , he was incredible that night , had the lot , pace , power , courage and the awareness not usually seen in 18 year old footballers .

It was the best game he ever had in an England shirt and he never reached those levels again .

The move to Man Utd , money and fame meant he settled for what he had instead of wanting to put in the work required to be the very best , he could have done it with the right attitude .

I've had very little time for him since he decided to settle for what he had .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Correct , how many of those goals were scored at major tournaments or against top notch opposition , not many .

If Bobby Charlton had played against the likes of Andorra , San Marino or Belarus he'd have got a 100 goals for England .

He (Charlton) did play against far inferior opposition. Again im not criticizing but adding balance.

Sir Bobby scored hatricks in the 8-0 romp of Mexico, 8-1 romp of USA, 8-1 romp of Switzerland amongst other routs where he scored once in the 10 nil win against USA on the eve of the 66 w/c. Ok far bigger nations than the ones you mentioned but at that time they were evidently as shyte as san Marino, Andorra etc

I was in Lisbon the night Rooney as an 18 year old played one of his first games for England against France @ Euro 2004 .

The lad tore the french back four a new ass hole , he was incredible that night , had the lot , pace , power , courage and the awareness not usually seen in 18 year old footballers .

It was the best game he ever had in an England shirt and he never reached those levels again .

The move to Man Utd , money and fame meant he settled for what he had instead of wanting to put in the work required to be the very best , he could have done it with the right attitude .

I've had very little time for him since he decided to settle for what he had .

That's a fair point. He could've been the best with a more determined attitude. He did better than most though looking back.

That's a fair point. He could've been the best with a more determined attitude. He did better than most though looking back.
    I've more time for Brighton's Glenn Murray who at 35 years of age is playing the best football of his career and came up the hard way .

He's got the absolute max out of his ability through sheer hard work and a top class professional attitude .

Maybe he should play for England against the USA as an advertisement for what you can achieve if you have the right work ethic .

I've more time for Brighton's Glenn Murray who at 35 years of age is playing the best football of his career and came up the hard way .

He's got the absolute max out of his ability through sheer hard work and a top class professional attitude .

Maybe he should play for England against the USA as an advertisement for what you can achieve if you have the right work ethic .

Absolutely. The fact Murrays scored more goals this season has made more people notice him but for me he's consistently played well for the last 3 years at Brighton. Refreshing to see a more modest name up there with the so called superstars. Thoroughly deserved too imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast