+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Robinson OUT

Robinson OUT

Two wins against the only two sides who are worse than us in the league doesn't change the fact that we are rank rotten and this season has been woeful. Today was the last straw - we chucked it and got hammered and the end result flatters us.

We need a new manager and a new approach asap.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Two wins against the only two sides who are worse than us in the league doesn't change the fact that we are rank rotten and this season has been woeful. Today was the last straw - we chucked it and got hammered and the end result flatters us.

We need a new manager and a new approach asap.
    Difficult to argue the toss tbh ... but a bit too soon, and too raw at the moment to be bothered!

Robinson's jacket is still on a shaky peg but I think he's likely safe first till the Xmas crunch run and more likely spring - even then we may decide to part at the end of the season rather than bullet him immediately.

Why? Because unless something drastic changes at Dundee/St Mirren, we will not be in any serious danger of getting relegated. We may not be in any serious danger of getting above 8th-10th either, but that alone won't make us take a midseason punt. While Sunday was disgraceful, it happens to everyone occasionally - in contrast week in week out we have been competitive (albeit very poor) while Dundee and St Mirren frequently are not. And until the evidence suggests we're in danger, we will stick rather than twist regardless of how bad it is to watch.

The bigger question then is whether you trust Robinson to rebuild. On the pro side you have pretty much most of his first 15 months in charge, against you have the summer farce and form this season. There are strong arguments on both sides but that being the case, I doubt the board will be convinced drastic action is required.

Looking ahead to next season, if we assume St Mirren and Dundee remain in the bottom two, Hamilton and Livingston will still be up - which means if we spend our summer pennies wisely, there are much more likely contenders to go down than us in 2020. If Robinson has a decent January transfer wise by repeating his skill for getting contracted duds off the books, and can somehow find a striker, I think we'll stick with him...and I can probably live with it.

But it's still very marginal. We will be second favourites in our next six games - I don't think we'll lose all six but if we do (or even if we only take a couple of points) it gets harder and harder to argue the scales are balanced.

Edit to add that I am not especially advocating that we keep him...I'd be disappointed if he went given what he's done for us in the past but he'd have no complaints if sacked. I just don't think it's likely.
    Last edited by Handsome_Devil; 12-11-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: adds another graf

Not much to disagree with there except to say the rude we need to get rid of were mostly his signings.

For example, I can only think that Sammon was signed because he's a big lad and fits the profile of the big physical teams Robbo favours. He was probably cheap as well.

Playing this physical game has in the past promoted a fighting team spirit with players giving that bit extra. We're not seeing that so much this season and yesterday they were demoralised by a very average Sevco.

I'm not panicking yet as St Mirren, Dundee and Hamilton are honking. The next 6 games will be instructive.

For rude read duds.

IMO both Dundee and St.Mirren will have to spend money in January to back their investments in their new managers, and will both be certainly stronger than they are at present. Accies will also likely to disprove the odds and get the odd result when least expected. As it stands at present we are in a mini league with those three and will no doubt have to fight for every point against them. I have noticed Louis Moult is virtually getting no game time at present and I know it is a virtually a no go longshot but would it be worth our while looking to see if he would be available on a loan deal giving him plenty of first team playing time which might just suit Preston. Rumour mill already suggesting our opponents yesterday or Aberdeen are both looking at the same situation

Dundee aye, St Mirren I dunno...they let Stubbs sign a lot of folk so not sure how much cash is there. They're also on the way to fan ownership so unlikely to have huge reserves. If they remember where they were a couple of years ago - on the motorway to the second division -they may well decide that taking the hit of relegation is a safer long-term plan than gambling money they don't have on trying to stay up and really sinking if it goes wrong.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)