+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT : They Shall Not Grow Old

Name:  Documents-004.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  68.4 KBthought I would share with you, my great uncle, back row on left with arms folded. GW Grice of shore st Ruddington, 4th battalion Grenadier guards this photo is taken at Marlow before going over seas to France in 1915. He was killed soon after at Loos, October 1915.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
Size:  68.4 KBthought I would share with you, my gre
    at uncle, back row on left with arms folded. GW Grice of shore st Ruddington, 4th battalion Grenadier guards this photo is taken at Marlow before going over seas to France in 1915. He was killed soon after at Loos, October 1915.
    Thats a great pic!

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
Size:  68.4 KBthought I would share with you, my great uncle, back row on left with arms folded. GW Grice of shore st Ruddington, 4th battalion Grenadier guards this photo is taken at Marlow before going over seas to France in 1915. He was killed soon after at Loos, October 1915.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Thats a great pic!
    It is a great photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Thought I would give this a bump.

For those that didn’t get to see ‘They shall not grow old’ first time around I believe it is showing again on BBC 2 tonight at 23.10pm.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I missed this previously and the little bits I caught looked fascinating. See that it's scheduled for 22.10 though?

https://www.radiotimes.com/film/g2dw...-not-grow-old/

I'm guessing that many of us have our family heirlooms of relatives in their times in the services. Some of the ones I treasure are my Grandfather's embroidered postcards that he sent home to Grandma. Granda' was a Gordon Highlander, a highly decorated of regiment that suffered great casualties. Similar cards are on display in Edinburgh Castle.

Name:  gordon.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  91.8 KB

I wish I had a photo of my great grandfather. He came over from Ireland as a young man and fought in and survived the Great War. He died soon after of the Spanish Flu.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I wish I had a photo of my great grandfather. He came over from Ireland as a young man and fought in and survived the Great War. He died soon after of the Spanish Flu.
    What bad luck! Imagine surviving the war then coming home to die of Spanish flu! They reckon that the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-1920 killed more than twice as many worldwide as were killed in the Great War.

Some fascinating photos, thank you for sharing them. This is my uncle Ted (my Dad's brother) who was from Meadow Lane and died aged just 19 in France in August 1918

Name:  mills3.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  8.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    What bad luck! Imagine surviving the war then coming home to die of Spanish flu! They reckon that the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-1920 killed more than twice as many worldwide as were killed in the Great War.
    I would describe it as a lot worse than "bad luck".
    Last edited by navypie; 10-11-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Some fascinating photos, thank you for sharing them. This is my uncle Ted (my Dad's brother) who was from Meadow Lane and died aged just 19 in France in August 1918

Name:  mills3.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  8.8 KB
    I really don't want to seem disrespectful here Cher, but how old does that make you?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I really don't want to seem disrespectful here Cher, but how old does that make you?
    Not as old as it might appear... My grandfather was born in the 1870s, had a family of seven children (including uncle Ted) and then sadly his wife died. He remarried and went on to have another six children (including my dad) and then he died in the 1940s when the second brood were all still very young. I'm a child of the 60s. Sorry that was such a long answer to a short question!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast