+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT : They Shall Not Grow Old

OT : They Shall Not Grow Old

Just a heads up to let you know that the Peter Jackson film with archive footage of World War 1 called "They Shall Not Grow Old" is being shown on tonight on BBC 2 at 09.30pm... I saw it at the Showcase cinema a few weeks ago and must say its well worth a look...They have taken footage from WW1 archive film turned some of the footage into colour and dubbed voice over of the film after lip reading some of the actual servicemen...It also includes narration taken from people who actually fought in the war...very harrowing but shows the true horrors of war...

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Just a heads up to let you know that the Peter Jackson film with archive footage of World War 1 called "They Shall Not Grow Old" is being shown on tonight on BBC 2 at 09.30pm... I saw it at the Showcase cinema a few weeks ago and must say its well worth a look...They have taken footage from WW1 archive film turned some of the footage into colour and dubbed voice over of the film after lip reading some of the actual servicemen...It also includes narration taken from people who actually fought in the war...very harrowing but shows the true horrors of war...

I shall make a point of watching that.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them

Interestingly, the film is called 'They shall not grow old' but the quote from the poem which is usually used at Remembrance Services is 'They shall grow not old'

Not that it really matters of course - the sentiment's the same.

Timer set, will enjoy it immensely and again and again

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Timer set, will enjoy it immensely and again and again
    Did you notice this wording was not used yesterday in London

Agree with all of the above .... a great display and wonderfully organised to the minute. Politics ignored for the day as everyone came together to show their respects, both young and old. One small thing that caught the eye. All the hierarchy laying the wreaths at the Cenotaph were suitably turned out for the occasion including Ian Blackmore wearing a kilt which I like to see on a proud Scotsman. However, can't the eminent leader of HM opposition afford an overcoat? Not that it really matters but to show up in a short casual raincoat with a hood attached is hardly the correct etiquette for such an occasion.

Off subject for Elite. I then went to my step daughters for lunch and had the pleasure of holding and examining the Cheltenham Gold Cup her real dad won in 2017. A beautiful but simple trophy and really quite small. Not my sport but in it's own right a famous trophy and something I'll always remember I can say I did.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Agree with all of the above .... a great display and wonderfully organised to the minute. Politics ignored for the day as everyone came together to show their respects, both young and old. One small thing that caught the eye. All the hierarchy laying the wreaths at the Cenotaph were suitably turned out for the occasion including Ian Blackmore wearing a kilt which I like to see on a proud Scotsman. However, can't the eminent leader of HM opposition afford an overcoat? Not that it really matters but to show up in a short casual raincoat with a hood attached is hardly the correct etiquette for such an occasion.

Off subject for Elite. I then went to my step daughters for lunch and had the pleasure of holding and examining the Cheltenham Gold Cup her real dad won in 2017. A beautiful but simple trophy and really quite small. Not my sport but in it's own right a famous trophy and something I'll always remember I can say I did.
    Politics ignored for the day until you bring in what one of the politicians was wearing to point score, very amusing but I guess you just couldn't help yourself.

Great to see all the parades and events around the country yesterday, saw a lovely one yesterday in Burley in Wharfedale. Will watch that programme on catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Politics ignored for the day until you bring in what one of the politicians was wearing to point score, very amusing but I guess you just couldn't help yourself.

Great to see all the parades and events around the country yesterday, saw a lovely one yesterday in Burley in Wharfedale. Will watch that programme on catch up.
    Not to score points m'lad ... if it had been a Tory dressed like that I would have made exactly the same comment. As said, Blackmore wore his kilt .... quite in order, patriotic and smart .... but an anorak and red tie for such a revered occasion looking like an unshaven LW teacher? The man is a complete disgrace to the party he leads.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Not to score points m'lad ... if it had been a Tory dressed like that I would have made exactly the same comment. As said, Blackmore wore his kilt .... quite in order, patriotic and smart .... but an anorak and red tie for such a revered occasion looking like an unshaven LW teacher? The man is a complete disgrace to the party he leads.
    You can't leave it alone, can you?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast