+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT : They Shall Not Grow Old

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    You can't leave it alone, can you?
    Michael Foot did something similar and the public never really forgave him.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    You can't leave it alone, can you?
    No I can't Laxton. There's such a thing as being correctly attired for an occasion ... especially this one.

My point is that of all the 'wreath layers', he was the only one not to wear a black overcoat. I'm sure he could afford one don't you?
    Could it be he was 'spinning an image' of being one of the downtrodden workers eh? In my opinion he did it on purpose for his so called 'image' which is soaked up by so many. Steptoe .... Yes, A statesman ... never while he has a hole in his arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Just a heads up to let you know that the Peter Jackson film with archive footage of World War 1 called "They Shall Not Grow Old" is being shown on tonight on BBC 2 at 09.30pm... I saw it at the Showcase cinema a few weeks ago and must say its well worth a look...They have taken footage from WW1 archive film turned some of the footage into colour and dubbed voice over of the film after lip reading some of the actual servicemen...It also includes narration taken from people who actually fought in the war...very harrowing but shows the true horrors of war...
    Name:  WWI.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  36.3 KB

This was a truly remarkable film that brought the appalling conditions the men in the trenches had to endure to life, far more than the old black and white newsreels ever did.

Finally got around to watching this tonight, absolutely fantastic bit of film making, the quality of the colouration was quite stunning and added a level of realism not felt with the original black & white footage. Some of the images really were harrowing.

It was great to see the footage of basic training on football pitches and was interesting to learn that each platoon/division was given a football each to kick in front of them when they went over the top as it gave them something to focus on and keep them moving forward as they chased the ball!

Thought I would give this a bump.

For those that didn’t get to see ‘They shall not grow old’ first time around I believe it is showing again on BBC 2 tonight at 23.10pm.

Have been wearing my poppy with pride all week. For me it doesn't matter what your point of view on war or politics, this is a time of paying respect to those ordinary people like you and I who went through hell.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Have been wearing my poppy with pride all week. For me it doesn't matter what your point of view on war or politics, this is a time of paying respect to those ordinary people like you and I who went through hell.
    Absolutely.

Name:  poppy.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  44.0 KB

Not normally a fan of war films - be they fact or fiction - but because of the positive clamour about this film on NCM the first time round, I took the trouble to watch it.
    Well worth the effort. Jackson's composition opens up that conflict like no one before him. Wanted to freeze frame time and again.

... at least Jezza had his overcoat buttoned up property unlike the scruff that is Boris.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast