+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Atheism

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I think that’s unlikely
    You might thing that its unlikely but here is the way that this theory was explained to me in the past.

If you believe the truth of the following two statements:

1. That the computers we use get more powerful every year (Moore's Law)
    2. That we have no idea how powerful computers may become.

Then you have to consider the possibility that what we consider to be our universe could in fact be a computer simulation.

Something like that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by eastnuekdon View Post
    You might thing that its unlikely but here is the way that this theory was explained to me in the past.

If you believe the truth of the following two statements:

1. That the computers we use get more powerful every year (Moore's Law)
    2. That we have no idea how powerful computers may become.

Then you have to consider the possibility that what we consider to be our universe could in fact be a computer simulation.

Something like that anyway.
    Moore's Law won't continue much longer, we're nearing the maximum potential of silicon chips.

The next big breakthrough in computer power will be quantum computers. They can do stuff in a few seconds that would take conventional computers billions of years. If anybody ever figures out how to make them work.

We might need to entertain the possibility that discovering everything there is to know about the physical universe is an evolutionary dead end.

Ever considered the Fermi paradox?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

We might render ourselves extinct through the development of powerful and dangerous technologies. Or we might suffer a spiritual death and simply dwindle out as a species. We seem to be going through a version of this at present. Will super intelligent transhumans (i.e. AI enhanced human beings) find greater purpose in the universe or will they be overwhelmed by the emptiness of the void? Homo Sapiens were born out of an evolutionary arms race over hundreds of millions of years. We have evolved certain traits to survive and thrive in a particular environment, not to discover the untold secrets of the universe. We barely have time to take a good look at our surroundings before we're being put into the ground. If you could live 1,000 years how long do you think it would take you to get bored?

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Moore's Law won't continue much longer, we're nearing the maximum potential of silicon chips.

The next big breakthrough in computer power will be quantum computers. They can do stuff in a few seconds that would take conventional computers billions of years. If anybody ever figures out how to make them work.
    Champ Man 2 will be cracking on one of those computers. You could run all the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Champ Man 2 will be cracking on one of those computers. You could run all the leagues.
    I'm not sure how practical it will be when it runs 6.21 x 1016 seasons in one Planck.

When I was in my late ****s I joined the Church of Satan as a fairly lame kind of 'rebel' move to shock folk (I was in a skater-punk type band and thought it made me cool/weird/interesting)

As I've gotten older I've actually grown to genuinely buy into their general philosophy and outlook, whilst not going as far as rituals or attending gatherings and what not - more out of laziness than anything else. They've done a pretty succinct job of describing what I think as an atheist. Their FAQ is worth a read.

Also how could anyone not admire the 11th rule?
    11.When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

I wasn't raised with religion and therefore have been agnostic all my life. I have to say that these days, watching how society is crumbling as most young people are convinced there's higher power than themselves, I'm starting to think even if you can't believe in "God", it's well worth adopting a religion to help pick your way through life's moral maze.

Quote Originally Posted by washingtonwhips View Post
    I'm starting to think even if you can't believe in "God", it's well worth adopting a religion to help pick your way through life's moral maze.
    Was actually speaking about this the other day. I stated that although I can see how having faith can help you through life, I felt I wouldn't be being honest with myself if I adopted a religion. I'm happy enough being atheist but of course believe in the phrase 'Each to their own'.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Was actually speaking about this the other day. I stated that although I can see how having faith can help you through life, I felt I wouldn't be being honest with myself if I adopted a religion. I'm happy enough being atheist but of course believe in the phrase 'Each to their own'.
    Totally get that... i'm the same, but I do recognise that like it or not, I've grown up in a Christian society where our culture and morals have been shaped by it. I've never given myself space to consider religion might have something to say to me, so I started reading and watching youtube vids of Jordan Peterson's biblical lectures. Given the way we're throwing all of this collective wisdom out the window and people now openly mock people with faith, I've started to see the value in religion as the glue that binds society. God on the other hand... depends how you define God. The best I can come up with is it's the vanishing point where science can't explain

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345