+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism

Atheism

Why is it that atheism is still such a taboo subject in the modern world? I'm an atheist and have had to try and defend that right most of my adult life, yet I'm ridiculed for not holding of a belief in a deity. I know its a subject that can bring out the worst in people, but are there any other atheists here who come across the same issues?

Some interesting figures for people who class themselves as "convinced atheists":
    UK = 13%
    USA = 10%
    China = 62%
    Japan 32%
    Afghanistan = 0.33%

Interesting that 76% of the worlds atheist population live in Asia.
    Last edited by Stupie82; 12-11-2018 at 12:58 PM.

I have worked/visited a lot of very religious countries and my atheism is taken with complete disbelief. Nobody seems to get it and I don't see why. I accept their beliefs. Why not reciprocate. Some people have gone as as far to say my parents were bad people for raising me with no religion.

Egypt was good for a laugh as one guy (Mussapha) tried to convert me and bought me over 20 books on Islam. He got his friend to take them to site when he started shift. He quizzed me every day to make sure I was reading them. Good old Wikipedia came in handy that trip

My current job there is a guy who constantly pesters me to read the bible as I "need to let Jesus in to my life"

The only religion I like is Bad Religion the band

I really don't think it is a taboo, certainly not in Britain. However it definitely is taboo in Muslim countries where they will cut your head off if your not muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    I have worked/visited a lot of very religious countries and my atheism is taken with complete disbelief. Nobody seems to get it and I don't see why. I accept their beliefs. Why not reciprocate. Some people have gone as as far to say my parents were bad people for raising me with no religion.

Egypt was good for a laugh as one guy (Mussapha) tried to convert me and bought me over 20 books on Islam. He got his friend to take them to site when he started shift. He quizzed me every day to make sure I was reading them. Good old Wikipedia came in handy that trip

My current job there is a guy who constantly pesters me to read the bible as I "need to let Jesus in to my life"

The only religion I like is Bad Religion the band
    I too have encountered many people who cannot fathom that I am atheist. I personally find religion abhorrent, with different religions all believing their god is the true god while dismissing anyone who believes differently. That said, people are free to believe what they like and i have no issue with people having faith,

I do often get asked how i would feel if i died and realised there was a heaven... the difference between those that ask that question and myself are that I think that when you are dead, you are dead and I dont even care if there is a heaven or not.

93% of humans on this Earth live their lives believing of a greater power, a heaven, an afterlife... 93%... it's quite incredible really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    I really don't think it is a taboo, certainly not in Britain. However it definitely is taboo in Muslim countries where they will cut your head off if your not muslim.
    I think it depends where you live. The likes of the Broch and Peterhead are full of religious people who openly ridicule those who are atheist. I have experienced it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    93% of humans on this Earth live their lives believing of a greater power, a heaven, an afterlife... 93%... it's quite incredible really.
    Do they believe that though? Or do they just want to believe it?

I wouldnae say I'm an atheist, I kind of have a notion that there's......."something", I'm curious I suppose is the way to put it.

No matter how big you go, planet, universe, cosmos whatever you kind of think "Aye but how dd that come about" like how did the environment for the big bang come about.

I've read bits and pieces of the Bible....I tend not to treat it as a historical record overall but it's interesting.
    Nae a big fan of taking your ethos from the Old Testament like.

It always amazes me that so many "Christians" who would be the first to rail against Sharia Law quote the Old Testament to justify their prejudices.

It also amazes me that, we, the human race, in this tiny, tiny little corner of a decent sized universe are arrogant enough to presume that, if there is some deity or supreme being who created the whole kit and kaboodle, he made the "people in his image"and tucked us away on this ****y tiny corner of it.

Surely if the Big Man did create us in his image, he'd have us cutting about the hale universe seeing what's what and acting as landlords?

Anyway, that's my spiritual/ecumenical outlook.

F*cking heathens

GOD

Name:  EA2170D9-0404-4CD2-AF95-F47E7AB00B1A.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  11.3 KB

BABY JESUS

Name:  3408DFD2-AFFF-47BC-82DC-E7D57FFBF61F.jpeg
Views: 356
Size:  26.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    F*cking heathens

GOD

Name:  EA2170D9-0404-4CD2-AF95-F47E7AB00B1A.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  11.3 KB

BABY JESUS

Name:  3408DFD2-AFFF-47BC-82DC-E7D57FFBF61F.jpeg
Views: 356
Size:  26.6 KB
    Like button sorely missed on this occasion

I have just acquired an Eoin Jess signed top for nothing (the reason being im sound as f@ck). Its getting framed but I'm nae putting it up in my fitba room with the rest of my gubbins. Its going up in my kitchen as everyone that walks in my hoos will see it on entry. Fitba room and living room are nae always visited
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 13-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.

84% of the world population has faith. What makes anybody think that they know better when they are in such a small minority? Apart from things like believing Aberdeen FC are the greatest club on earth, which other things is your opinion so opposed to perceived wisdom?

I have no religion, nor do I believe in religion but if God is a life-giving force then there is a Sun God. I also wish to leave myself room for maneuvering. Therefore, perhaps when my time is nearly up, I'll decide to seek spiritual assistance for the transition from life to death. And that's what religion provides for many, comfort that when the moment comes they'll have peace of mind.

I wonder how many who have strong spiritual leanings suffer from depression. For example, typing thousands of posts on Aberdeen Mad may pass time, but it's spiritually vacuous. You won't be spending time on here in your final days seeking solace from Red John, AFC1903Mad, BasingstokeRed et al...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast