+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T The blind leading the blind.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Not going very well is it .

I think a second referendum could happen , just my opinion .
    It’s gone as well as it was ever going to go. The EU holds all the cards in the negotiations and the likelihood is that any deal that the EU would agree to would be inferior to membership. The British position, in the meantime, was fragmented because no two MPs can agree on what Brexit means save, perhaps, for those who want a ‘no deal outcome.

As for a further referendum, how is that going to come about? It would be political suicide for anyone other than the Lib Dems to press for such an outcome. Labour doesn’t seem to have noticed, however; a further referendum may or may not be Labour policy, depending upon whether you believe Starmer or McDonnell. Chairman Corbett appears to have no particular opinion on the subject.

Irrespective of Labour’s position, I doubt whether there would be a Parliamentary majority for a further referendum bill to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    If at first you don't succeed moan, moan and bleat until you do. Some democracy that would be
    It would be the third referendum. The one in 1975 came out in favour of remaining in, the second, in 2016, for leaving.

How can asking the country to vote again on the issue now that the fantasy versions of Brexit have been outed be a bad outcome for democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It would be the third referendum. The one in 1975 came out in favour of remaining in, the second, in 2016, for leaving.

How can asking the country to vote again on the issue now that the fantasy versions of Brexit have been outed be a bad outcome for democracy?
    Possibly because it is going against the will of the people that won the vote and devaluing their reasons for voting out. Let's keep voting til we get our own way is the message being conveyed to me by the "remoaners".

What about going against the will of the people who voted remain in 1975?

And don't you think that people now have a better understanding of the issues than they did in 2016? The notion that we could simply say 'sithi' before carrying on just as we had before, but without making payments to the EU or being bound by the decisions of the ECJ is just a distant memory isn't it?

I would stress that I don't want another vote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12