+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derby Day Memories

Derby Day Memories

With the International break and little on the pitch action to talk about a couple of posts about the upcoming games against the Sheffield teams got me thinking about games against local rivals. What are your memories of games and events around games against the teams in the Radio Sheffield 6?

For me I could go with the 4-2 loss to Barnsley at Millmoor in our 81-82 bid for Division 1 status or even the early season game there against Donny later in the 80s where their goalie was sent off for kicking Bobby W when the ball was at the other end of the pitch. Only time I can ever remember a penalty being given when the ball was so far away.

However I'm going with non game day events of Spring 1977. We were due to play Sheffield Wednesday at Millmoor around Easter and it was a rare all ticket game. The tickets went on sale on a Sunday a couple of weeks beforehand so it was an early bus for me and a couple of mates. No lines and the tickets those days were sold at the turnstiles. For some strange reason the friend in front got his and then turned back without going through the turnstile. Did he have a 6th sense. Me and another friend got ours and pushed through the turnstile that lead us under the back of the Tivoli, a murky environment at the best of times. Straight away we regretted our decision as a posse of ne'r do wells appeared out of the shadows. To this day I don't know whether they were Millers or Owls but we experienced a hearty kicking and the loss of the tickets. I don't know what one hit me with but I still have the scar on my face 41 years later.

Battered and bruised we forlornly made our way back to the bus station. It was only when I glanced at my watch to see that it was no longer on my wrist, just an imprint of it, that I determined something must be done as it was a birthday present and my Mum and Dad would kill me for losing it. In those days the police station was just across from the bus station so we went there in the hope of finding a means to recover my watch. Seeing the state of us (by now I had quite a swelling on one side of my face) the desk officer decided statements and photographs needed to be taken and we were given a ride home.

A couple of days later our story made the front page of The Star (thankfully long before digital archives were in everyday use) and was picked up by RUFC who graciously gave is replacement tickets for the game (we lost 1-0) and VIP tickets for a later game where we got to sit in the main stand and enjoy tea, sandwiches and cakes with the Directors and their guests. Never did get my watch back though!

Sounds horrific , CAM.
    We've generally done well against Donny, and had some good games against Barnsley too - even that 4-2 defeat was an exciting match. Only decent matches v Sheffield teams at Millmoor that I remember were the 1-0 victory over the Owls when Habbin got the goal, and the great game against the Blades, when we came from behind to deservedly win 2-1 with goals from Towner and Moore. The latter is one of my favourite Millmoor matches. (Just looked - couldn't find it on YouTube)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 12-11-2018 at 08:51 PM.

1976 / 77 season - Jimmy McGuigan as manager - old Division 3 - away at Hillsbro in November 76 and a 3-1 away win with goals from Dave Gyther, Trevor Phillips and Tommy Spencer. Almost sure we were 1-0 down at half - time.
    That season we finished higher than Wednesday's although we missed out on promotion by goal difference. No idea who pipped us to promotion, can't remember.
    Owls beat us at Millmoor 1-0.

I was sat in the side stand and was constantly threatened throughout the second half by a workmate ( Wednesday fan ) who was sat two rows behind me.

That game was as good as the ' divot ' match........Joe McBride anyone !!
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 13-11-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Can't remember the year but re-call the Tivoli boundary wall collapsing on successive (?) home games against both Pinky & Perky's representative XI

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Can't remember the year but re-call the Tivoli boundary wall collapsing on successive (?) home games against both Pinky & Perky's representative XI

1979 season and far too many in Millmoor.
    Over 20k for the Blades game and over 18k for the Owls game.
    Lost both of those, 2-1 from memory, Richard Finney scored in both games.

The recent Derby under Evans when we were 2-1 up and Wednesday scored twice in injury time. It was a weird one that as although gutting to lose I'd seen 2 blokes getting heart massages on the floor before the game and because of this football just seemed so insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    1976 / 77 season - Jimmy McGuigan as manager - old Division 3 - away at Hillsbro in November 76 and a 3-1 away win with goals from Dave Gyther, Trevor Phillips and Tommy Spencer. Almost sure we were 1-0 down at half - time.
    That season we finished higher than Wednesday's although we missed out on promotion by goal difference. No idea who pipped us to promotion, can't remember.
    Owls beat us at Millmoor 1-0.

I was sat in the side stand and was constantly threatened throughout the second half by a workmate ( Wednesday fan ) who was sat two rows behind me.

That game was as good as the ' divot ' match........Joe McBride anyone !!
    It was Palace who pipped us for 3rd place on goal difference by 2 goals when we beat Port Vale 4-1 last game but needed 6-0.