+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Our Glorious Town in the 60s

OT - Our Glorious Town in the 60s

For anyone who likes a bit of nostalgia. We were once an absolute powerhouse of a town...

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/...te-1961-online

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    For anyone who likes a bit of nostalgia. We were once an absolute powerhouse of a town...

Great to watch that mate..something missing though..cant think what it is...itll probably come to me next time i go to town..

gkotw, very nostalgic and great to re visit the old town.

It was amazing to see how many social services the town actually supplied to its townsfolk back in the day.

Looking at the old number plates on vehicles, it was either GET, HET or KET and all with three numbers. What some of those would be worth today. Also noticed even way back then that the bus numbers of today haven't even changed. The 121 to Sunnyside, 130, 131 and 132 to Brinsworth and Treeton. The 130 to Canklow, even though Canklow was just a spit out of town.

At the latter end of the film I recognised the old garage on Corporation Street next to the Odeon. Remember visiting the old garage and my late Father topping up the old Ford Anglia. Hah, the good old days.

Is it on youtube as that link says the content not available in the US

Can't get it here either.

Youtube, yes.

Milla, hmm, I cant think whats missing, lol.

The old Rotherham ET reg plates Brin. Do we still have ET1?

The think which struck me was how clean the streets were!!

Great "Chumley Warner " style documentary - great memories of those days !

Youtube, yes.

Milla, hmm, I cant think whats missing, lol.

The old Rotherham ET reg plates Brin. Do we still have ET1?

The think which struck me was how clean the streets were!!
    ET1 is the mayor's car driven by my dads next door neighbour. Nice lad actually, he worked as a fitter at SR Gents in Mexborough.

Need to find that film on YouTube the. If anyone has the link would you mind posting it please.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    ET1 is the mayor's car driven by my dads next door neighbour. Nice lad actually, he worked as a fitter at SR Gents in Mexborough.

Need to find that film on YouTube the. If anyone has the link would you mind posting it please.
    If you look where it shows open fields and states " barkers park", you can briefly see the cottage across from the ring o bells pub at kimberworth park..no pub of course and no houses...

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    If you look where it shows open fields and states " barkers park", you can briefly see the cottage across from the ring o bells pub at kimberworth park..no pub of course and no houses...
    My dad told me that the pub name and licence was transferred from the original Ring o' Bells in Church Street ( Rotherham town centre), when it was demolished, to the then new pub at Kimberworth Park. No idea if that is true though.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 13-11-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast