+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting theory

Interesting theory

Discussing problems at the lane and come up with this theory. Both Nolan and Kwell ex premiership footballers. Maybe they are trying to get the lads to play like premiership player's and that's why were struggling. Management need to realise were in
    the second division and need to play that way. If hoof ball is required then so be it. Maybe we should of gone for a experienced lower league manager.

Quote Originally Posted by postie66 View Post
    Discussing problems at the lane and come up with this theory. Both Nolan and Kwell ex premiership footballers. Maybe they are trying to get the lads to play like premiership player's and that's why were struggling. Management need to realise were in
    the second division and need to play that way. If hoof ball is required then so be it. Maybe we should of gone for a experienced lower league manager.

It’s Kewell and...”have” gone.

Hasselbaink springs to mind but not many others, most successful lower league managers seem to be ex lower league players.

I don't think that is necessarily the crux of the issue although I do understand your mindset on this.

I think there is room for both direct and passing football at this level.

Neil Warnock's ethos was always to play the game in the opponents half as much as possible. He had no nonsense defenders who, like Turley does now would do the simple things well, cut out crosses, put a tackle in and get the ball up field as soon as possible in a direct way. He then had forwards and attacking midfielders who would posses the skill, pace and footballing ability to be creative and then finally defensive midfielders who would comfortably mop up the second ball and start the whole attacking process again.

Our problem seems to be an inclination to sit back defensively rather than press which in turn puts us under undue pressure and spending more time playing in our own half rather than the oppositions.

I do support your theory in some ways though because it is apparent modern day managers want to focus on a particular style of play and have a conception that the game should be played on the grass as much as possible, which is great if you are Pep Guardiola, and I would prefer it if it wasn't happening in our own penalty area.

Nolan played premier league football ? really ?

Its not true either about premier league players don't know what they are doing Robins, Di Canio, Ardley, Ince and Hasslebaink have all done well in league two for a start....You can look at so called experienced lower league managers like Mark Yates who ends up getting sacked fairly quickly.

The problem we had was obvious we had a long ball manager in Nolan and signed players who don't have much chemistry between them.

My opinion is you can play football but it is definately the harder way out of this league look at how Cowley manages at Lincoln he is a younger Warnock head/kick anything in your own half and get it forward as quick as possible seems to be working very well for him in his management career at Braintree & Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I don't think that is necessarily the crux of the issue although I do understand your mindset on this.

I think there is room for both direct and passing football at this level.

Neil Warnock's ethos was always to play the game in the opponents half as much as possible. He had no nonsense defenders who, like Turley does now would do the simple things well, cut out crosses, put a tackle in and get the ball up field as soon as possible in a direct way. He then had forwards and attacking midfielders who would posses the skill, pace and footballing ability to be creative and then finally defensive midfielders who would comfortably mop up the second ball and start the whole attacking process again.

Our problem seems to be an inclination to sit back defensively rather than press which in turn puts us under undue pressure and spending more time playing in our own half rather than the oppositions.

I do support your theory in some ways though because it is apparent modern day managers want to focus on a particular style of play and have a conception that the game should be played on the grass as much as possible, which is great if you are Pep Guardiola, and I would prefer it if it wasn't happening in our own penalty area.
    I watched your goals from the week end.
    Sit back defensively is the last thing you need, because to be frank. Your back 4 is garbage.
    Barnsley sliced them open at will and some of the positioning was laughable.
    Sorry, I'm with Clough on this one. Good keeper, solid back 4 and build. Don't concede and you don't lose. Nothing more demoralising thank getting tonked every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Nolan played premier league football ? really ?

Its not true either about premier league players don't know what they are doing Robins, Di Canio, Ardley, Ince and Hasslebaink have all done well in league two for a start....You can look at so called experienced lower league managers like Mark Yates who ends up getting sacked fairly quickly.

The problem we had was obvious we had a long ball manager in Nolan and signed players who don't have much chemistry between them.

My opinion is you can play football but it is definately the harder way out of this league look at how Cowley manages at Lincoln he is a younger Warnock head/kick anything in your own half and get it forward as quick as possible seems to be working very well for him in his management career at Braintree & Lincoln.
    Nolan was doing a similar job to Cowley before he ripped everything up and tried to start again. We had solid tactics that worked effectively. No-nonsense defending, ball-winning midfield battlers, a target man or two up front, and a sprinkling of creativity. The aim was to get the ball forward early and play our football in the final third. It worked really well. Then in the summer, he attempted to reinvent Notts as a silky passing side with no real leaders or ball winners, and the rest is history. The reason Cowley and Lincoln are so successful is they have kept the same style of play and built on it by adding better personnel. I'm fairly sure that if Nolan had done the same, we'd be up in or around the playoff positions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Sit back defensively is the last thing you need, because to be frank. Your back 4 is garbage.
    Sorry, I'm with Clough on this one. Good keeper, solid back 4 and build. Don't concede and you don't lose. Nothing more demoralising thank getting tonked every other week.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Problem is if he sets up not to lose he gets hammered for lack of ambition. I'd like to see how a defensively solid 442 with Jones in left midfield and Alessandra right midfield works with Enzio and Hemmings up top.

It didn't work against Barnsley but they're a very good team, and least we'd have more height, solidity and plenty of pace on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Nolan was doing a similar job to Cowley before he ripped everything up and tried to start again. We had solid tactics that worked effectively. No-nonsense defending, ball-winning midfield battlers, a target man or two up front, and a sprinkling of creativity. The aim was to get the ball forward early and play our football in the final third. It worked really well. Then in the summer, he attempted to reinvent Notts as a silky passing side with no real leaders or ball winners, and the rest is history. The reason Cowley and Lincoln are so successful is they have kept the same style of play and built on it by adding better personnel. I'm fairly sure that if Nolan had done the same, we'd be up in or around the playoff positions now.
    But December onwards it wasn't working, we went to winning 1 in 3 after a tremendous start but I think the start was fortunate, we did well with injuries and we won some games I don't think we deserved to and I think other teams clocked the tactic and put measures in place.
    I think too much is being made of this style of play, I don't think anyone including Hardy expects us to be like Man City but wants an improvement on the dross tactic used last season which ultimately didn't work in the end and was awful to watch. I think if we had continued with it and signed similar personnel we would have been around mid table or below this season. The issue for me is we have signed badly, most people on here said Hewitt was no good in midfield without Yates and he was highlighted as a reason for our poor performances towards the end of the season(which was a bit unfair) yet now after signing ump**** CMs Hewitt still looks the best option, never got a left back and Dennis is struggling, last season we had Shola, not prolific but brought a lot more to the team than Dennis has up to now. I had alarm bells in pre season shipping goals but I do think we will start to stabilise and move up the table, we have had some decent performances under Kewell but he can only pick from what he has.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast