+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ANOTHER International break......

ANOTHER International break......

At the wrong time!
    Name:  Hardy.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  24.4 KB

And talking of Laurel and Hardy the film featuring their last ever tour of the UK in 1954 is released on January 11th 2019. Below is a short clip (parvenu) - amazing how Reilly and Coogan have bought them to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGn-JRdXVM

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    And talking of Laurel and Hardy the film featuring their last ever tour of the UK in 1954 is released on January 11th 2019. Below is a short clip (parvenu) - amazing how Reilly and Coogan have bought them to life.

Really strange coincidence this but I was watching on YouTube yesterday "This is your life" American version about Stan and Oliver....ended up watching a few clips about them. I believe Stan kept his phone number in the regular phone book and never took it down...apparently he would get calls from fans and just talk with them. They were true gents and quite humble indeed....

Agree about the international break boingy......

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post

Quite right Boingy about this latest break. Way too many of them for my liking.

Thanks for posting that Phil. I'd forgotten that film was due out any time soon. I remember my uncle telling me he saw them at Dudley Hippodrome which I assume would have been that tour. He said him and his mates had a drink in the pub over the road (The Station Hotel I think?) He said L&H were having a drink and chatting to show goers. As they left they made a point of doing that gag which they did many times in films where one opens the door and the other goes outside having lost the other. How times change eh?

I hate the Int. breaks too.

I wished they would do what they used to do and just play in midweek and not disrupt domestic football.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Quite right Boingy about this latest break. Way too many of them for my liking.

Thanks for posting that Phil. I'd forgotten that film was due out any time soon. I remember my uncle telling me he saw them at Dudley Hippodrome which I assume would have been that tour. He said him and his mates had a drink in the pub over the road (The Station Hotel I think?) He said L&H were having a drink and chatting to show goers. As they left they made a point of doing that gag which they did many times in films where one opens the door and the other goes outside having lost the other. How times change eh?
    Love hearing stories like this about the boys, what a privilege to have actually seen them close up like that. In fact many of the venues that L&H appeared at during their British tours have nearly all disappeared. What is almost unique in Dudley is that both the Hotel and the Dudley Hippodrome shell are still standing.

The film takes in their final British tour of 1953/54. Their last full week appearing together on stage anywhere in the world was at the Aston Hippodrome Bham before Hardy fell ill. The final venue at Swansea was cancelled.

Their appearance at Dudley was on their tour before the final one, on Sept 15th 1952 which was no 24 of 26 venues.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)