+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The greed league

You'd only be guilty if you go on to complain about the amount of money in the Prem

Like it or not the PL is a monumental success , the most viewed football league in the world .

As a product it stands up , everyone gets paid very well and Sky and BT make a profit on investment .

It's increased the standard in the championship as a consequence , the attendances in the championship are significantly higher than they were 25 years ago .

People moan about ticket prices but still go in their thousands , often demand doesn't meet supply so the prices won't be reduced anytime soon .

The problem is we aren't in it , then again we've had only one season at the top level in 131 years , you could argue we've never been in that club Sky or no Sky .

It's changed the face of english football no doubt , taken the dream factor away for many clubs .

It's a money maker , it will probably grow further and that's that .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 14-11-2018 at 10:58 AM.

I personally wouldn't want us to go there again ,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I personally wouldn't want us to go there again ,
    We are also beneficiaries when you think about it , without the global success of the PL would we have the owners we have today ?

Look at the amount of money we've seen come in to the club through player sales , a contentious subject but none the less it's a fact .

We when I was growing up we were just a small run of the mill lower tier club , we are a bigger club today , take a look around Oakwell compared to the 70's , look at the stadium , academy and the facilities as a comparison .

In the 70's Peterborough were buying our best midfield player now we buy off clubs of that size and don't even think about it .

The level of football we expect to compete it is higher than it once was , 3rd tier was acceptable and now it isn't .

We've hitched a ride on this PL thing too when you look at it pragmatically .

I don't make daft predictions but we've never been in a better position to have a stab at getting back to the Premier League since 99/00 play-off final that's even factoring in that we're in league 1 now.

Look at Man City, Leicester, Norwich and Southampton. If you get on that upward trajectory on and off the pitch it works wonders.

It might be me , a think somewhere along the line of any reasonable challenge towards the Premiership , someone or something would crop up to scupper our chances , We are not wanted in that division, agree we have seen some benefits from being there previously , Top t middle Championship club would do me , although I understand others wanting more , will it happen ever again to get to the Premiership? , maybe if the proposed European League gets the go ahead
    Last edited by Romared; 14-11-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    It might be me , a think somewhere along the line of any reasonable challenge towards the Premiership , someone or something would crop up to scupper our chances , We are not wanted in that division, agree we have seen some benefits from being there previously , Top t middle Championship club would do me , although I understand others wanting more , will it happen ever again to get to the Premiership? , maybe if the proposed European League gets the go ahead
    Are you referring to the Liverpool match there Roma? I was only 13 at the time but remember fans on MOTD saying "they dunt want us in Premiership". Then I read an interview with Danny Wilson paraphrase, "we knew wee were up against it when our players were being called number 8, number 10 etc when opposition players were being called by their first names or nicknames by referees".

If you go back further we have missed out on promotion to the top flight twice in the early 20th century. Once on goal average and the next time by a corrupt ballot.

Then in 94/95 we finally finish in what would be a play-off position only to be denied by the footballing authorities once more because they decided to re structure the leagues.

Partially referring to that Ponte , but even nar ( it Carnt be just us i know ) Refs, Media etc seem to have it in forrus , which creates other clubs fans ( not all ) to constantly belittle us , it's gone on for years too , Maybe ? The New owners are trying to raise our profile ,

I'd like to know the reasons why they want us also why are media biased answers any one

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    I'd like to know the reasons why they want us also why are media biased answers any one
    Agree Dooali. I can't grasp the new owners motives if they aren't going after promotion to the Premier League. They can't be interested in our business model because they already have billions in the bank. What do they need the millions for?

Unless it's for something more sinister like wanting to secure the land Oakwell is built on and area around it. Then promotion to the Premiership is the only other option.

Why would you want a club that yo-yo's between league 1 and the Championship? There's no prestige there.

SBRed might be reight. There is sumat that dunt sit reight about it all. However, whilst results on the pitch are good and there is nothing too drastic going off behind the scenes. (Early signs are good). I'm happy to put my scepticism to one side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast