+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting read re: Kewell

Interesting read re: Kewell

I heard rumours at the weekend about why Stead and Hemmings were "injured" and not in the match day squad. Seems they could be true.

https://t.co/GlN1xwDFwM

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    I heard rumours at the weekend about why Stead and Hemmings were "injured" and not in the match day squad. Seems they could be true.

https://t.co/GlN1xwDFwM
    Clearly the Mirror have got their sources, but as I've just said on another thread, this doesn't automatically mean Harry Kewell was the problem. A lot of our players were under-performing before he arrived, so it could be that Kewell was trying to make the right changes and kick a few backsides, which inevitably meets resistance. Many of the players seemed to love Kevin Nolan, but the suggestion was that it became far too comfortable and relaxed. The truth is, we just don't know the full story, but it leaves the club in a hell of a mess regardless.

I was quite surprised when he came out and blamed the players in the post match interview after we had lost a few weeks ago. He then continued to dig in to them for a few games after that. It was probably justified though, how do you defend players when they're playing like that? Although Nolan's approach in that situation was to support them and give them confidence.

Maybe Kewell is a bad communicator and fails to get his ideas across clearly? Or maybe he gets frustrated when players don't take the ideas on board. What do you expect at this level? Not sure what's happened but it's definitely a mess and we're becoming the laughing stock once again.

Or maybe footballers are a bit thick and can't cope with change?

After 18 months of basically playing hoofball under Nolan, Kewell's ideas would have come across as a bit of culture shock to many of this squad.