+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Doonhamers vs. Inverness Caley Thistle

Subs were key to getting a victory

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Today's game summed the Queens up very succinctly. As an attacking force we are as good as any out there and some of the play was scintillating with Dykes leading the line very ably supported by Stirling and Todd with Dobbie as every providing a threat. 3-0 and coasting and I was just waiting to see if we could match the Ayr score. At this point, although Leighfield was obviously a bag of nerves, our defence had their attack in the back pocket limiting ICT to barely a kick. Having missed several chances to add to the scoreline we conceded a poor goal from a free kick out wide with hardly a challenge on their scorer after which it looked as though they would score with every attack with some players going missing, I point the finger at Stirling at this point after having had an excellent game up until then. Ironically Leighfield saved us from defeat at the end of this game.

Brilliant in attack but fragile in defence so it looks as though we are in for a roller coater for the remainder of the season and Palmerston is the place to come to if you want goals but hard for the home supporters to watch and not overly good for the health. Perhaps the tickets should come with a health warning on them!!!!!

Should the manager have made the changes before it was 3-2 and hooked those who had went missing earlier-yes in my opinion.
    My first visit up to see the Queens this season and it was great to see the side on the front foot giving the Highlanders a football lesson for an hour. The key to winning the game was using the subs earlier. While it is commendable that the manager wanted to keep the players on the pitch who had got the side into a 3 0 lead he needed to get both Stirling and Harkins off sooner. Stirling got frustrated and was needlessly carded once he ran his race. If you have a good car it can still let you down once it runs out of fuel. All in all, the side is capable of a play off spot and fantastic to see how many academy boys are making the match day squad.
    A shout out to the new Young boys on the terrace they create a great atmosphere well done to them all, loved it.
    Mon the South.

Watch Dykes touch leading to the penalty. He is to blame for the ball going back in the box. His control at that moment was as good as a concrete wall.

The manager only highlighting Semple needless foul at 3 0 is piss poor. There was so much else that went wrong from the manager and other players. Semple and Fordyce both played very well. They get no cover from holding Midfielders, our keepers or full back.

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    We can point fingers at not making changes and sitting in deep but the fact is the first two goals were bread and butter saves directly in front of the keeper. It's not like he was out of position either, he just can't command from close range. He ships in goals every time we play him. Harsh as he's young but true.

It's gutting because the game was well and truly in the bag. 10 minutes of madness.
    Yes we threw the game away after playing some of the best football of the season. However got to congratulate wee Robbie who had only 5 substitutes to pick from but the two strikers he brought on are tbh better players and far more experienced than the Queens
    bench warmers.

Funny old game - we looked in control and could have been 5 or 6 goals up but free kick was turning point and our poor goalie was a nervous wreck - as I have stated before we are too fragile in defence to mount a serious challenge for the playoffs but we will squeak a few bums before May. The attendances are stuck around 1200 and this is very disappointing and we are repeatedly being let down by the Dumfries public some of whom continue to glory hunt rather and support their wee hame team.

The manager still has a lot to learn IMO.

For example yesterday we’re 3-0 , make some substitutions and close up shop.

https://youtu.be/QWqQ-fgKzY8

What a save by Jack at the end

I'm sorry Mr Naysmith, - but I've waited until today to post due to sheer frustration on Saturday afternoon, - there are a few questions that I must ask of you:

1) Why wait until the 82nd minute when Inverness have pulled back to 3-3 to bring on a defensive midfielder?

2) Why wait until the last few minutes to bring on Connor Murray, - who scored in the previous week and in your own opinion probably deserves more game time?

3) Inverness made their double substitution just before the hour mark, - why did you not respond, - particularly as Queens went 3-0 up shortly after?

4) Dobbie made an incredible run a few minutes after we were 3-0 up, - but he was completely knackered by that point and he should have been subbed, - with Murray being the obvious candidate, - who could have run the ICT defence ragged.

5) After the unsettling first Inverness goal on 71 minutes why did you not throw on extra defensive cover in Mercer and David Norman Jr to preserve the lead?

6) I for one, and many others on this board have been asking, - nay pleading that the substitutes are used wisely and with enough time to change the game. Your counterpart at Inverness did just that and at the appropriate time, - about an hour into the game.

At 3-0 with 20 minutes to go Queens should have been home and dry and the players certainly can't be blamed for the collapse. I was begging you to bring on substitutes to maintain the hold we had on the game, - and Murray for Dobbs and Norman for Harkins at 3-0 on 65 minutes would have seen you through. ( I had said in a previous post that subs should be made regardless of name, age and rank, - in other words, it doesn't matter if they're good enough to play for Scotland, which Dobbie clearly is, - if he's showing signs of fatigue, - he should be changed)

I accept that changing the personnel can affect the flow, but with a young keeper who looked out of his depth at every cross, then a wee bit of extra defensive cover would have been a blessing for him.

I will definitely not be on your Christmas card list after this, but there are a huge number of questions that supporters like me who have been coming to Palmerston since 1970 are entitled to ask.

7) Why was there no cover on the back post at corners?

8) Our keepers are in desperate need of a course in claiming the ball from set pieces, - is this something that you will facilitate?

Finally, I'm sorry for hounding you with these questions, but I honestly feel that they must be aired. There is no point in keeping my counsel and not being big enough and ugly enough to actually point them out.

On a tight budget you are performing miracles and some supporters will have a go regardless of what you try to do. I was conscious that you were upset at some of the comments emanating from the stands at Somerset Park, and I wondered whether I should compound that by asking the above.

Football is a fickle sport, - and on another day you could have run out 3-0 or even 5-0 winners on Saturday, - but (despite our keeper's lack of ability with crosses) young Jack stopped the score being 3-4, - and if that had happened this board would have been packed with disgruntled posts, - so perhaps count yourself fortunate.

Obviously, I'm not expecting you to respond to this post in writing, but as a supporter of Queen of the South FC since I was knee high to a grasshopper, - I would respectfully request that you take some of the questions on board and ask yourself, - might the score have been different on Saturday if I'd thought about my subs?

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I'm sorry Mr Naysmith, - but I've waited until today to post due to sheer frustration on Saturday afternoon, - there are a few questions that I must ask of you:

1) Why wait until the 82nd minute when Inverness have pulled back to 3-3 to bring on a defensive midfielder?

2) Why wait until the last few minutes to bring on Connor Murray, - who scored in the previous week and in your own opinion probably deserves more game time?

3) Inverness made their double substitution just before the hour mark, - why did you not respond, - particularly as Queens went 3-0 up shortly after?

4) Dobbie made an incredible run a few minutes after we were 3-0 up, - but he was completely knackered by that point and he should have been subbed, - with Murray being the obvious candidate, - who could have run the ICT defence ragged.

5) After the unsettling first Inverness goal on 71 minutes why did you not throw on extra defensive cover in Mercer and David Norman Jr to preserve the lead?

6) I for one, and many others on this board have been asking, - nay pleading that the substitutes are used wisely and with enough time to change the game. Your counterpart at Inverness did just that and at the appropriate time, - about an hour into the game.

At 3-0 with 20 minutes to go Queens should have been home and dry and the players certainly can't be blamed for the collapse. I was begging you to bring on substitutes to maintain the hold we had on the game, - and Murray for Dobbs and Norman for Harkins at 3-0 on 65 minutes would have seen you through. ( I had said in a previous post that subs should be made regardless of name, age and rank, - in other words, it doesn't matter if they're good enough to play for Scotland, which Dobbie clearly is, - if he's showing signs of fatigue, - he should be changed)

I accept that changing the personnel can affect the flow, but with a young keeper who looked out of his depth at every cross, then a wee bit of extra defensive cover would have been a blessing for him.

I will definitely not be on your Christmas card list after this, but there are a huge number of questions that supporters like me who have been coming to Palmerston since 1970 are entitled to ask.

7) Why was there no cover on the back post at corners?

8) Our keepers are in desperate need of a course in claiming the ball from set pieces, - is this something that you will facilitate?

Finally, I'm sorry for hounding you with these questions, but I honestly feel that they must be aired. There is no point in keeping my counsel and not being big enough and ugly enough to actually point them out.

On a tight budget you are performing miracles and some supporters will have a go regardless of what you try to do. I was conscious that you were upset at some of the comments emanating from the stands at Somerset Park, and I wondered whether I should compound that by asking the above.

Football is a fickle sport, - and on another day you could have run out 3-0 or even 5-0 winners on Saturday, - but (despite our keeper's lack of ability with crosses) young Jack stopped the score being 3-4, - and if that had happened this board would have been packed with disgruntled posts, - so perhaps count yourself fortunate.

Obviously, I'm not expecting you to respond to this post in writing, but as a supporter of Queen of the South FC since I was knee high to a grasshopper, - I would respectfully request that you take some of the questions on board and ask yourself, - might the score have been different on Saturday if I'd thought about my subs?
    Doubt if Mr Naysmith reads this but I would lay money that the director (s) do. I take your point about substitutes
    and the ICT manager (who by the way had only 5 players on the bench) came up trumps with his changes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)