+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nolan ...

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Your problem is you don't seem to understand much at all.

He wasn't sacked after 6 games, he was sacked after 8 wins in 28, you don't start fresh every time a season starts and your form from the season before continues, I know it's rare we have a manager that finishes one season and starts the next but his dreadful 6 games this season were at the end of poor form last season.

No worse off? If Nolan was still here we might still be looking for our first win this season and we literally couldn't have possibly been worse off than the 24th place in the league that he'd left us in.
    Ah the voice of reason!

Nolan had well and truly shot his bolt by the time he was ushered out the door and still some fans want him back??? He needs to take a long break from football and get his off the pitch problems sorted out before he even thinks about a comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    I don't doubt Kevin Nolan is a 'nice guy'.

BUT ffs he was a disaster from xmas onwards. Last season he constantly blamed refs for sh!t results and performances. This close season he was responsible for the dreadful recruitment and poor fitness preparation of the squad. All this finished off nicely with a 6 game run, (incl. the league cup), where he managed 1 draw and 5 defeats.

Oh and don't get me started on his favourite-player-policy and off field drinking issues !!
    I think the 'awful after Christmas' idea needs a bit of a rethink. Granted, results were average at best, but we had an average-at-best squad. We went on an amazing run during the first three months of the season, with a fair helping of luck along the way, and then results settled down to reflect the ability of the squad. Think about it: we had Duffy and Brisley pretty much all season. Dan Jones or Dicko. Hawkridge on the wing. Stead and Ameobi up front - a combined age of over 70. Nicky Hunt deputising at right-back. That's not a promotion-winning squad. It's not even a playoff-achieving squad. Yet somehow, that's what we achieved.

After Christmas, we had some poor results, but also some fairly good results. We hammered Crewe at home, drew against Swansea, beat Coventry at home in a massive six-pointer, got hard-fought draws against Wycombe and Luton. The play-off away leg was another hard-fought draw (although it should have been a win).

If we were lucky in the first half of the season, we were unlucky in the second half. We lost Yates, Bennett got injured on his first start, and we ran out of steam. The playoff debacle rounded off what was a season of two halves.

I'll be the first to admit that this summer was an unmitigated disaster, but last season wasn't. He took an at-best mid-table squad to the brink of promotion. I for one loved last season. For all the frustration and complaints about style of play, it was great to have something to be proud of for once. It was great to have a full stadium and a sense of optimism.

It's hard to work out how it went so badly wrong over the summer. If only he had stuck to what was working and built on it. I don't know... part of me would be happy to have him back, but part of me knows how ridiculous that would be.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 14-11-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Don't be silly. Us paying Crawley £400,000 is as likely as the NHS getting £350 million.
    Let it go

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Let it go
    If this turns out to be true, then I'm done, I won't slam the door on the way out either.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-manager.html

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    If this turns out to be true, then I'm done, I won't slam the door on the way out either.

It's the Daily Mail, need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think the 'awful after Christmas' idea needs a bit of a rethink. Granted, results were average at best, but we had an average-at-best squad. We went on an amazing run during the first three months of the season, with a fair helping of luck along the way, and then results settled down to reflect the ability of the squad. Think about it: we had Duffy and Brisley pretty much all season. Dan Jones or Dicko. Hawkridge on the wing. Stead and Ameobi up front - a combined age of over 70. Nicky Hunt deputising at right-back. That's not a promotion-winning squad. It's not even a playoff-achieving squad. Yet somehow, that's what we achieved.

After Christmas, we had some poor results, but also some fairly good results. We hammered Crewe at home, drew against Swansea, beat Coventry at home in a massive six-pointer, got hard-fought draws against Wycombe and Luton. The play-off away leg was another hard-fought draw (although it should have been a win).

If we were lucky in the first half of the season, we were unlucky in the second half. We lost Yates, Bennett got injured on his first start, and we ran out of steam. The playoff debacle rounded off what was a season of two halves.

I'll be the first to admit that this summer was an unmitigated disaster, but last season wasn't. He took an at-best mid-table squad to the brink of promotion. I for one loved last season. For all the frustration and complaints about style of play, it was great to have something to be proud of for once. It was great to have a full stadium and a sense of optimism.

It's hard to work out how it went so badly wrong over the summer. If only he had stuck to what was working and built on it. I don't know... part of me would be happy to have him back, but part of me knows how ridiculous that would be.
    This is exactly how i feel, just put a lot better than I ever could. Nolan was a victim of overachieving.
    Remove Grant and Yates from that squad and it was a mid table at best squad.
    You get the same results but back to front, starting badly and finishing strongly and people would have been calling him the new Jimmy Sirrel.

It's just the sort of stupid thing Oliver Hardy would do. God forbid he isn't interviewing the candidates in his own.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Remove Grant and Yates from that squad and it was a mid table at best squad.
    Pretty much agree with most of that from Slack but there's one point here too – one of these mentioned WAS removed, and not replaced ... seemingly by incompetence in either the transfer/loan market (by manager and owner) or by inability to see the gaping hole.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

It's from the Daily Mail so you can safely assume it to be rubbish!

Could make financial sense. We'll still be paying him off and getting him back on the same package wouldn't cost us.
    I wouldn't put it past hardy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast