+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 102 of 349 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    Exactly!

Too many remainers trying to overturn the referendum result from the off. BANG OUT OF ORDER!

They should have accepted the result and got on with helping to negotiate a Brexit that reflected the closeness of the vote rather than try to screw the whole thing up.

Another one to add to Blair's catalogue of crimes.

Wouldn't a Brexit that reflected the closeness of the vote of 52:48 be a very soft Brexit? If it is found that the majority of the house fall behind a soft Brexit (leave with CU and close alignment with the SM, which would I think reflect the national public feeling as far as we can gauge it with 48% remaining and x% wanting to leave with a deal and small but significant minority wanting No Deal) and take that to the EU for agreement, would you be happy with that? After all, it would satisfy Stovic's wish that MPs speak with one voice enough to secure a deal?

For me it was a vote to leave the EU not have one foot in the door. Leave completely. We all been let down by the politicians

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Wouldn't a Brexit that reflected the closeness of the vote of 52:48 be a very soft Brexit? If it is found that the majority of the house fall behind a soft Brexit (leave with CU and close alignment with the SM, which would I think reflect the national public feeling as far as we can gauge it with 48% remaining and x% wanting to leave with a deal and small but significant minority wanting No Deal) and take that to the EU for agreement, would you be happy with that? After all, it would satisfy Stovic's wish that MPs speak with one voice enough to secure a deal?
    "Happy" is the wrong word but personally, yes, I'd be prepared to go with something along those lines in light of the marginal vote. Norway plus? It wouldn't necessarily have to be straight EEA membership but that type of alignment is probably the best option.

However the cookie crumbled after such a close vote there was always going to be strong arguments on both sides.
    A big hindrance to moving things forward though has been staunch remainers trying to reverse the vote. That will solve nothing.

We're not going to "have our cake and eat it" but everything was/is up for negotiation. Who knows what we could achieve if "all our side were on onside".

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Nearly 2 months Ive waited to be the 1000th poster on this thread and some fat little gnome pre-emps me during a toilet break
    PMSL lincs. I 'll have you know I'm not that little! Bet your the one who always gets gazumped
    at the last second on eBay as well.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 25-01-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Well said

My reply was to redshank sorry bout that

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    "Happy" is the wrong word but personally, yes, I'd be prepared to go with something along those lines in light of the marginal vote. Norway plus? It wouldn't necessarily have to be straight EEA membership but that type of alignment is probably the best option.

However the cookie crumbled after such a close vote there was always going to be strong arguments on both sides.
    A big hindrance to moving things forward though has been staunch remainers trying to reverse the vote. That will solve nothing.

We're not going to "have our cake and eat it" but everything was/is up for negotiation. Who knows what we could achieve if "all our side were on onside".
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    For me it was a vote to leave the EU not have one foot in the door. Leave completely. We all been let down by the politicians
    For you, yes. But what about the rest of the country, the Leave voters that don't want no deal, the remain voters = the majority of the country. Redshank's way is the way to go - find a consensus in Parliament, that broadly represents the consensus of ALL of the people who live in the UK, form a deal around that consensus and take that to the EU. That's how it should have been seeing as we ballsed up the wording on the vote...

You're probably right. I just feel so angry with our politicians for ignoring the voters. Our politician's call some African countries politician's bent well ours are just as bad. Don't mean gay by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    You're probably right. I just feel so angry with our politicians for ignoring the voters. Our politician's call some African countries politician's bent well ours are just as bad. Don't mean gay by the way
    Ignoring sounds quite strong but I get what you mean. But lots of the MPs represent constituencies that voted Remain, some heavily so. Obviously all are representing their constituencies as well as their own judgements based on multiple evidence sources. Hence a wild mix of MPs arguing different causes, and with no strong leadership strategy that aimed to reconcile the different views into a cohesive deal that would command a majority. Instead I think we have been led by a person that has tried to simply reconcile her own party, and not even achieved that.

Page 102 of 349 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast