+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 116 of 349 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Lol. Your abilty to ask questions is legendary. My willingness to answer meaningless ones isn't.

I’m reminded of an old Russian political joke:

Stalin, Khrushchev and Brezhnev were travelling across Siberia when their train broke down.

Stain said: ‘This is outrageous, we should shoot the train crew to encourage better performance in the future’.

Khrushchev replied: ‘No, we must treat the train crew with kindness to ensure that their performance improved’.

Brezhnev then spoke: ‘Neither of those will work. We need to close the curtains on the carriage and get the train crew to rock it from side to side so that we can pretend we are still travelling’.

I see that your ability to debate with me has reached the Brezhnev stage. Don’t worry about it. You aren’t the first.

I’m not going to repeat myself. Look it up.
    What on earth does that meander have to do with anything. Everyone here (apart from gm no doubt) will agree that the questions I've asked tonight are logical and directly relate to points you are trying to make in your posts. Try addressing them (although we both know you can't, because you're stumped)

With a better leader and less extreme policies, they might well have won.
    Talk me through which manifesto policies you consider to be extreme and without which Labour might well have won?

And through simple logic, if Labour were well behind when May called the election, followed by Labour announcing their policies in the manifesto, how do you account for Labour picking up in the polls to stop May's desired majority?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7731536.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business...d-free-markets
    Last edited by ragingpup; 01-02-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    1. So, do you think that historically, the Labour Party have had the same problem with Eurosceptics as the Conservatives that ultimately led Cameron to try and solve the problem once and for all by putting the referendum into the 2015 manifesto?

2. When Labour was in power under Blair and Brown, was there similar anything like the internal warfare that forced Cameron to make the referendum a 'thing'?

3. If Corbyn had agreed to meet May 2 weeks ago, how might have this led to him having "more of an input" than he has today?
    Think you missed these Kerr. Or are you stumped again?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Corbyn has argued, and is continuing to argue personally to May that the way to build consensus in parliament and solve the deadlock over the backstop is to forge a Customs Union agreement. You may not agree with or like that, but that is his argument, made long and made hard in opposition to May's direction.

Now please respond and be clear (you do have a tendency to duck out of questions that you find difficult) What other argument would you like him to put over?

And this one...

I think your first question is rather simplistic in that electoral success is determined by a combination of leadership and policy.

On leadership, take Thatcher and Blair – irrespective of your view of their political philosophies - I would suggest that it is beyond doubt that they were leaders in the sense that people wanted to support and follow them. People who you would expect to vote Labour backed Thatcher time and time again and ‘natural’ Tory voters did the same thing for Blair. Thatcher wasn’t even particularly pleasant, but the fact is that she could inspire people and make them believe in her and through that accept her as PM.

Your first question is entirely leadership based. None of the four options that you mention strike me as being natural leaders (although I think Yvette Cooper might have something – I am impressed that she has the balls to stand up for what she thinks on Brexit rather than hiding like Corbyn) and if I’m right about that, they would be hampered in a GE campaign (just as Brown and Milliband were in 2010 and 2015 respectively). What I’m not sure you have thought through though is where that leaves Corbyn. We don’t have to speculate about how he would perform in a GE, because we found out in 2017 – he failed miserably despite circumstances that should have strongly favoured Labour. You can talk about how people chant his name in grime clubs, but that doesn’t put him in charge of the country. I think he is not a leader, mainly because he speaks only to his supporters and not to the public at large. He makes a fine speaker at protest meetings and events where the audience self select to be likely to support him. He is like a fish out of water otherwise.

The second issue is one of policy. As you know, I think Labour’s polices would lead to a wholesale destruction of jobs and wealth that would help nobody. I know that you choose to disagree (just as I’m sure you are aware that I think your position defies any sort of logic) , but, in a sense, when it comes to the likelihood of Labour winning, whether you or I am right is irrelevant. It’s enough that I and many others believe what I believe and that belief informs where we are likely to put our X when voting.

I think it possible that any of the four leadership candidates that you mention would have had at least a fighting chance of ending as head of the largest party had they run on more mainstream policies.

The Tories made the same mistake as you in the 2017 election when they focused solely on leadership and let Labour have the run of the policy hen house and, crucially, failed to change tack when the ‘strong and stable’ line started to fall apart.

I think both main parties (and the Lib Dems) have a leadership issue at the moment. Corbyn isn’t up to much and it is difficult to see who is waiting in the wings (animal favours Starmer, but he has broken cover and come out as a hard Remainer, which will alienate himself from the Northern Labour Party). May has ruled herself out of leading the Tories into another election campaign and it is just as hard to see where their next leader will come from. It may involve a fight for the heart and soul of the party with someone like Rees-Mogg facing off against someone like Ruth Davidson.
    You haven't answered my question about what you think the Labour party should stand for, as distinct from the other parties.

I take your point that you would like to see a different leader. Fair enough

But on policies, you just indicate that you think the current policies are too extreme. I'm thinking that of the 2017 manifesto you are specifically talking about plans to increase corporation tax, slight income tax on above X amount, and Nationalisation. I understand that, and Labour could drop each of these policies. But if they did so, what then would you like to see (as a strong opposition) as their headline policies that separate them from the conservative policy, that would attract voters away from the conservatives and make an impact on the causes (improvement of pay and working conditions) that Labour traditionally stand for? I suspect that if we just drop the policies that offend you, aren't Labour just another Conservative Party?

Barclays set to shift £170 billion to Dublin. Sharemongering or fact?

Report from Evening Standard "London will lose up to £700 billion to financial rival Frankfurt by the end of March as banks flee the UK ahead of Brexit, a lobby group has claimed.

At least 30 banks and financial firms are set to move their EU headquarters to Germany, according to lobby group Frankfurt Main Finance."

We dont have to believe any of it.

The only region of Britain that is in revenue surplus (ie it takes in more in tax income than spends) is London and the South East. Tax revenue from these regions prop up the rest of Britain.* When Brexit decimates the London service sector (banking legal accountancy insursnce), using a technical term, the country will be f*cked. Can any Brexiteer allay these fears?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    The only region of Britain that is in revenue surplus (ie it takes in more in tax income than spends) is London and the South East. Tax revenue from these regions prop up the rest of Britain.* When Brexit decimates the London service sector (banking legal accountancy insursnce), using a technical term, the country will be f*cked. Can any Brexiteer allay these fears?
    Hasn't the financial industry destroyed it's self within the EU not too long ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Report from Evening Standard "London will lose up to £700 billion to financial rival Frankfurt by the end of March as banks flee the UK ahead of Brexit, a lobby group has claimed.

At least 30 banks and financial firms are set to move their EU headquarters to Germany, according to lobby group Frankfurt Main Finance."

We dont have to believe any of it.

A lobby group ffs?

We shall see

Page 116 of 349 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast