+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 166 of 349 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    What on Earth are you talking about?

The May deal creates a Customs Union hence the passage from the political declaration that I quoted above: ...build and improve on the single customs territory provided for in the Withdrawal Agreement.... The backstop is also based upon a customs union...

Setting aside Labour's desire to obtain a General Election, what they and the other parties you mention are looking for is a commitment to a Customs Union in the future relationship. You still need a withdrawal agreement - and there is only one on the table - and an agreement on the future relationship, which the EU won't negotiate until we have left.

I'm sorry that you don't get it, but it's clear that a number of MP's don't either so you shouldn't feel too bad.

The EU welcomed Corbyn's willingness to talk to May.

A series of binary votes cannot guarantee majority support for any approach. It can determine which is the most popular option, but if fewer than 50% of MP's support it, the legislation needed to put it into effect will struggle to pass. And it won't bind the government or any future Parliament, in any event.
    I think the MPs and want this commitment in the WA, not the PD. Isn't that the problem?

And I think the EU went a bit further than welcoming "Corbyn's willingness to talk to May: "It's important now that this leads to a position in the UK that has the broadest possible majority, so that we can conclude these negotiations."

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think the MPs and want this commitment in the WA, not the PD. Isn't that the problem?

And I think the EU went a bit further than welcoming "Corbyn's willingness to talk to May: "It's important now that this leads to a position in the UK that has the broadest possible majority, so that we can conclude these negotiations."
    The EU will not negotiate the future relationship until we have left. I've tried to think of a simpler way of explaining that to you, but really can't.

The permanent Customs Union that Labour currently say they want is a permanent future relationship, so the EU will not negotiate or agree it until after we have left. Hence the Political Declaration.

It really is that simple.

The quote that you have put up confirms the EU position that they would like the political parties in the UK to talk to one another. You are seeing what you want to see, because you suspend any form of critical thinking when Corbyn or Labour are mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The EU will not negotiate the future relationship until we have left. I've tried to think of a simpler way of explaining that to you, but really can't.

The permanent Customs Union that Labour currently say they want is a permanent future relationship, so the EU will not negotiate or agree it until after we have left. Hence the Political Declaration.

It really is that simple.

The quote that you have put up confirms the EU position that they would like the political parties in the UK to talk to one another. You are seeing what you want to see, because you suspend any form of critical thinking when Corbyn or Labour are mentioned.
    What do you understand that the MPs who are looking for a CU type arrangement are trying to achieve? If, as you say, the EU won't discuss it a future arrangement along this, or any lines, what do you think that they are aiming with the CU plan? Where do you think that they hope the CU plan, if they are successful be inserted into a legal commitment from both sides?

Let's face it, if we were a much smaller country the EU would be glad to see the back of us, but we're the second biggest contributor and they want our money.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Let's face it, if we were a much smaller country the EU would be glad to see the back of us, but we're the second biggest contributor and they want our money.

In remembrance of the total cock up of MPs of all parties not delivering brexit on time we should make the 29th of March a permanent public holiday.

We should call it Traitors’ Day

Almost three years on and I've just read the dumbest Remain argument yet.

Apparently the electorate changed their mind a year after the Referendum because they elected a House of Commons where the majority of MPs are Remainers, never mind that both Conservative and Labour stood on a platform of delivering Brexit, the public actually knew which MPs were really Remainers and that's why they voted for them.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Almost three years on and I've just read the dumbest Remain argument yet.

Apparently the electorate changed their mind a year after the Referendum because they elected a House of Commons where the majority of MPs are Remainers, never mind that both Conservative and Labour stood on a platform of delivering Brexit, the public actually knew which MPs were really Remainers and that's why they voted for them.
    They stood on a platform of delivering a Brexit that was good for the country. No deal and May's deal have not been determined to meet this criteria, parliament has legitimate paralysis.

A lot of the papers are now saying there may be another election to stop Remainer MPs taking over the Brexit process.

TBH I don't know how exactly they're allowed to do that, when has the H of C ever taken over the job of running the country from the government before? How is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    They stood on a platform of delivering a Brexit that was good for the country. No deal and May's deal have not been determined to meet this criteria, parliament has legitimate paralysis.
    "They stood on a platform of delivering a Brexit that was good for the country"
    Where exactly did anyone say that?
    I thought they stood on a platform of delivering Brexit

As you were
    I think this is what you were referring to

Forward Together: The Conservative Manifesto 2017

The next five years are the most challenging that Britain has faced in my lifetime.

Brexit will define us: our place in the world, our economic security and our future prosperity.

So now more than ever, Britain needs a strong and stable government to get the best Brexit deal for our country and its people.

Now more than ever, Britain needs strong and stable leadership to make the most of the opportunities Brexit brings for hardworking families.

Now more than ever, Britain needs a clear plan.

This manifesto, Forward, Together: Our Plan for a Stronger Britain and a Prosperous Future will meet the great challenges of our time, beyond Brexit.

With this plan and with a strong hand through Brexit, we will build a stronger, fairer, more prosperous Britain, for all of us.

Theresa May

Can anyone see "a plan" amongst all that rhetoric?
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 26-03-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Page 166 of 349 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast