+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 349 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Aren't we? If we go ahead with May's deal, will we still be members of the EU?

That's the problem, we can't agree on what Leave actually means.
    Do you think the deal will go ahead anyway or do you think politicians will stop it? Back to my point about politicians.....

Agree with that. But Norway is allowed a customs agreement but only on grounds that it accepts key concessions. I think that labor would go for this type of agreement with key concessions on free movement and even some ecj, as their priority, as they keep saying, and in response to your question, is to protect jobs. That is what Labour would aim for from what they keep repeatedly saying. Just not sure people are really listening?
    I think were listening but what they're saying doesn't really mean anything.
    How would they do it? Would we still be inexorably tied to the EU and if so would that be what the majority voted for?
    It inevitably makes you conclude that neither party can readily achieve a clean Brexit unless unacceptable concessions are made. After all, isn't that the reason the so-called Chequers agreement is being so widely ridiculed by all sides?
    A "no deal" scenario may be frightening for a lot of reasons but it would certainly achieve Brexit 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    To be honest MM i think the labour party has played a blinder, they knew exactly where brexit was heading, exactly how divided the torys are, and they've hedged their bets and watched the torys implode.....i also have a sneaky suspicion that Corbyn has an ulterior motive re brexit, he has a long standing anti EU tradition, and if we remain in the EU then the rules basically prevent nationalisation on the scale Corbyn is promoting, so he gets two things without batting an eyelid, he watches the tories implode as an entity, and he also gets to impliment his policies (if elected of course)
    You could be right with some of that because politics is certainly getting in the way of what's best for the country and politicians on both sides have a lot to answer for in that respect.
    May seems determined to fight on despite attacks from all sides and the hypocrisy of some of her MPs (Gove etc) is breathtaking.
    The Chequers deal is dead in the water and she must know that, so why is she so insistent that it's the only solution? Perhaps she has an ulterior motive too?
    In the unlikely event that there is a two thirds majority for an early general election can you imagine a scenario where we end up with another hung parliament? I know that a lot of people think that a Labour victory would be inevitable but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people would be nervous about Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott etc running the country.
    I could be wrong of course, I have been before!

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    You could be right with some of that because politics is certainly getting in the way of what's best for the country and politicians on both sides have a lot to answer for in that respect.
    May seems determined to fight on despite attacks from all sides and the hypocrisy of some of her MPs (Gove etc) is breathtaking.
    The Chequers deal is dead in the water and she must know that, so why is she so insistent that it's the only solution? Perhaps she has an ulterior motive too?
    In the unlikely event that there is a two thirds majority for an early general election can you imagine a scenario where we end up with another hung parliament? I know that a lot of people think that a Labour victory would be inevitable but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people would be nervous about Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott etc running the country.
    I could be wrong of course, I have been before!
    Politics eh, but that's really what is going to drag us out of this debacle eventually, to be honest if we had a GE right now i really don't know what the outcome would be, you know where my vote is but i can't help but think that the whole negative shyte that Corbyn has been put through consistently by the media has to have an effect, unfortunately, now i'd like to think that the British public is better than that, but then again they've consistently voted this shower in....and believed the same shyte from the same sources about the brexit vote....

Jo Johnson, a brexiteer stated that it should go to another referendum. He says the deal on the table is horrendous but a no deal would be worse. Is that the first time a brexiteer has called for another vote?

Surely the EU can see that there is a rise in nationalism across Europe and something needs to change. France, Austria, Holland and even Germany have seen a rise in the far right vote. Not enough to challenge the status quo at the moment but at the next elections, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by one_a_day View Post
    Jo Johnson, a brexiteer stated that it should go to another referendum. He says the deal on the table is horrendous but a no deal would be worse. Is that the first time a brexiteer has called for another vote?

Surely the EU can see that there is a rise in nationalism across Europe and something needs to change. France, Austria, Holland and even Germany have seen a rise in the far right vote. Not enough to challenge the status quo at the moment but at the next elections, who knows?
    Jo Johnson voted remain.

Yes, my mistake. Misread what he wrote in the FT. Voted remain but vowed to make a success of Brexit.

1. The 6 tests that labour are using are holding the government to account for promises that they made in their leave campaign and manifesto. Don't you thinkthat a basic function of an effective opposition is to hold the government to account for promises made to its electorate?

2. What exactly do you want labour to say?

3. Why do you want Labour to say what you want them to say? How will it help you/us in Brexit proceedings as the government proceed in their direction?
    The 6 tests are stupid and don’t hold water, child’s play...can’t believe people buy this badge regardless of politicalical persuation these people are classed as junk in finance circles

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    The 6 tests are stupid and don’t hold water, child’s play...can’t believe people buy this badge regardless of politicalical persuation these people are classed as junk in finance circles
    Your classed as two bob spivs in expensive suits in Labour circles and you have the record to prove it .

Which party did you get down on your hands and knees to and beg for money in 2008 ?

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    I suppose bankers are the epitome of upright, respectable professional people eh......what a joke.....

Page 17 of 349 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast