+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 349 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Corbyn wants out as he can't carry out his nationalisation plans if we're in the EU but can't say that as it would alienate their young Remainer support base.

Under the 5 year rule there needs to be a two thirds majority for an earlier general election.
    Regardless of how much turmoil there is at the moment, I'd be surprised if that was achievable right now.
    I'm guessing May will be gone by the end of the week but that the Tories will remain in government and try to unravel the mess that's been created.

Dominic Raab has resigned so it will all start to unravel now. What a bloody mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Muchthemillersson View Post
    More than anything they have to maintain the sanctity of the Customs Union. That is the way that all the German states came together before the formation of the Federal Republic of Germany in 1870. They see the success of that customs union and are convinced that is the way that the countries of Europe can be brought together into single state so you can see the horror they feel that not having a hard border in Ireland breeches the sanctity of their customs union. Our negotiators should see that is THEIR major weakness
    Yet, in reality, the single market and custom union is a British idea, conceived by Thatcher and signed off on by Major.

They've made a total balls of the whole thing, the real question is whether they did so deliberately as the majority of the H of C wanted to stay in the EU (they saw how rich Kinnock got off his EU position and fancy a bit of the same).

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Yet, in reality, the single market and custom union is a British idea, conceived by Thatcher and signed off on by Major.
    That's not true, that was always the goal, long before them.

They were enthusiastic about expanding to Eastern Europe though because they wanted to undermine the German-French power axis.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    How does that advance the debate when one of Labour's (wholly unrealistic and unattainable) tests for supporting a Brexit deal is that it must retain all the benefits of the single market and customs union?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    ragingpup is right. The deal is a compromise and a compromise was always going to be necessary, because the version of Brexit in which we voted to leave one day and then simply walked away the next without consequences was always a fantasy.

The EU have made substantial compromises even though they held most of the cards in the negotiations.

It seems unlikely that the deal will be approved by Parliament - the 'meaningful vote' isn't actually binding on the government, but Parliament would need to pass the legislation required to support the deal. Much will turn upon how many MPs of all parties will shrink away from the dangers of a no deal Brexit and vote with the government.

Even if the DUP don't support the government on the deal, there is no reason to suppose that they would walk away from the confidence and supply deal and risk a general election. It is inconceivable that they would risk allowing Corbyn and his Republican sympathising chums into power.

I think it unlikely that May will survive a defeat of the deal in Parliament. I think it possible that she will resign even if she gets it through - it has been a thankless task to navigate Brexit.

Boris Johnson will not be the next leader of the Conservatives - he is seen as being divisive and disloyal. Disloyalty is never forgiven in that party.

I gave you Teresa May when she was 20/1 for the job. I give you Dominic Raab at 10/1.

I doubt whether Starmer will be the next Labour leader, despite animal's best efforts. He's a Blairite. He would be very good, however.
    Yes I think Raab would be the right choice
    When the going gets tough Raab gets going
    Just the sort with a backbone we need

I think Cameron would be a good 2nd choice
    Give the spineless one a chance to put right what he started

If only Guy Fawkes had been a bit more lucky
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 15-11-2018 at 09:28 AM.

I think Avon is right that Raab is being lined up to take over from May.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Yes I think Raab would be the right choice
    When the going gets tough Raab gets going
    Just the sort with a backbone we nee

I think Cameron would be a good 2nd choice
    Give the spineless one a chance to put right what he started

If only Guy Fawkes had been a bit more lucky
    ^^^ this.

Page 3 of 349 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast