+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 349 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJohn View Post
    This thread has been one hell of a read and I certainly don't feel I am qualified to offer any educated opinion on what is transpiring.
    But I will say this, if another vote happens and the option for "Remain" is on the ballot paper then that will be extremely dangerous and will only complicate the mess even further. I say this for the following reasons.

1) If we go to a straight up replay of the original referendum, ie "Leave" or "Remain," then not only does that make a mockery of referendums and democracy in general, but what would happen if the results were the same? There is a belief now amongst Remainers that a re run of the referendum would prompt a vote to stay in the EU and we could just forget the whole thing. But I honestly don't think it would be so straightforward. Yes, no doubt there are plenty who voted to leave that would now vote to stay due to the mess that has ensued in the negotiations and the projections of doom in a post-Brexit world. But equally I have spoken to many who wanted to Remain originally that would now vote to Leave. The reasons vary. Some say the negotiations have shown the "true colours" of the EU (or the colours that the voter simply didn't bother to research prior to the vote). Others would vote to Leave purely as a protest due to the lack of respect for the democratic process and the acceptance that the original Referendum result should stand.

2. A Referendum with the options of "No Deal", "Mays Deal" or "Remain" would be a stacked deck against anyone wanting to Leave. For example, if the result echoed the original referendum in that 48% would vote for Remain, but the Leave vote was fractured into two options (say 28% vote for May, 24% vote for No Deal), then Remain would claim they had won by a huge margin even though 52% of the voters would still be voting to Leave. Plus there will be Leavers who will say they haven't been represented because none of the options are appealing.

It's a bloody mess, but it was always going to be. The original Referendum result didn't fracture society, it merely demonstrated how divided society was becoming.

Whatever happens and whatever Brexit we go for, we absolutely cannot entertain the idea of Remain. The EU would make an example of us, a bit like the ****age kid who runs away from home but returns a few months later because they can't function away from their parents. They will hug us upon learning we wanted to stay, but they'd make sure we learned our lesson for daring to try and leave. Plus society would be more fractured than before, as I'm sure there'd be plenty of people who wouldn't take a reversal of the original result quietly.
    For an uneducated opinion that's not a bad post mate [don't put yourself down as there's one or two on here who will only be too happy to do it for you]

For the people blaming Cameron, I actually blame Major, we should have had a Referendum before signing up to Maastricht, that was an unconstitutional transfer of power.

But as we have seen, he was another one serving the EU not the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    For the people blaming Cameron, I actually blame Major, we should have had a Referendum before signing up to Maastricht, that was an unconstitutional transfer of power.

But as we have seen, he was another one serving the EU not the UK.

Let's agree both the feckers fault eh? & nowt to do with Corbyn
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 06-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Corbyn's at fault for abandoning his anti-EU principles for electoral gain though.

Corbyn's at fault for abandoning his anti-EU principles for electoral gain though.
    Got to agree

Interestingly regarding the subject of another referendum .

You need a parliamentary majority to pass the bill to hold one .

The ruling party also needs a majority within it's own ranks to propose that one takes place at all .

Both are hardly slam dunks I feel .

Countries that voted against the EU before, namely Denmark and Ireland, were made to vote again too.

Yet Remainers say the EU is democrat (and has nothing at all in common with the USSR).
    Last edited by great_fire; 06-12-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Countries that voted against the EU before, namely Denmark and Ireland, were made to vote again too.

Yet Remainers say the EU is democrat (and has nothing at all in common with the USSR).
    ic
    just found these in the bottom of my computer
    Think they fell off your word gf

Great post Davey John. 100% agree. May's heart has never been in this. She should have handed the negotiating reins to someone tough enough to see us out of the EU cesspit. Problem is a majority of MP's are Remainers with self interests who callously ignore the instructions of the constituents they were elected to represent. Added to this London and the rich establishment are cranking up Project Fear to a disgraceful degree and unfortunately succeeding to some extent.

Page 51 of 349 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast