Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
Greetings Mr Kerr. Hostilities resumed I see.

So I take it that you think the EU countries are not bothered whether we stay in or not hence your flippant comment.

I dunno if Labour will be getting into power again or not but their fight for workers rights doesn't end just because they are not in government nor should it... Maybe the EU shouldn't be trusted by Labour to deliver workers rights protection etc but Labour can only do their best to fight for them as an opposition party.

As regards the environmental protection argument. I thought we were a keen environmentalist so why slag off a party that is at least trying to protect the environment...

I have got my tick list ready and bingo card for your very predictable answers...something on the lines of Labour can't and won't do owt reight and can't be trusted..

Cuddles as always

rolykins
I’m sorry if you thought that I was being hostile, Rolypoos. It wasn’t my intention.

My comment wasn’t flippant. Denmark is desperate for the UK to remain in the EU because we have always been close allies in pursuing a more slow track less Federal approach to the organisation. They know that the pressure upon them to become more politically integrated is going to increase when they don’t have a big hitter member on their side of that debate . There are countries that are largely indifferent to Brexit, but will probably not stick their head above the no deal parapet. There are others – notably France, who really are fed up of the whole thing and must be close to saying ‘non’ to an extension. The question for Parliament then becomes one of whether they are feeling lucky if they reject another deal.

The absolute hard deadline falls next summer when the EU budget will be up for approval and could be vetoed by the UK if we are still members.

I’m just curious about this notion from Labour that the UK Parliament can’t be trusted to legislate on workers’ rights, environmental standards and consumer protection, such that they want to sub that work out to the EU. Bear in mind that the EU is an organisation over which you and I will have no democratic influence, post-Brexit. Doesn’t that strike you as bizarre? Are Labour planning for perpetual opposition or something?

I quite like some of what Labour says on the environment, but, as you have predicted, I don’t simply buy into what political parties say (e.g. in 2017, Labour said they would respect the result of the referendum). In Labour’s case, I wonder whether the environment would come in a contest with a TU that wanted government support for a polluting industry. I also know that money is going to be needed to pursue environmentally friendly policies and that the country won’t have any after a couple of years of a government run by Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbot and, erm, some other people.

And by the way, I really love you man. There, I just had to say it.