+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 319 of 349 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Greetings Mr Kerr. Hostilities resumed I see.

So I take it that you think the EU countries are not bothered whether we stay in or not hence your flippant comment.

I dunno if Labour will be getting into power again or not but their fight for workers rights doesn't end just because they are not in government nor should it... Maybe the EU shouldn't be trusted by Labour to deliver workers rights protection etc but Labour can only do their best to fight for them as an opposition party.

As regards the environmental protection argument. I thought we were a keen environmentalist so why slag off a party that is at least trying to protect the environment...

I have got my tick list ready and bingo card for your very predictable answers...something on the lines of Labour can't and won't do owt reight and can't be trusted..

Cuddles as always

rolykins
    I’m sorry if you thought that I was being hostile, Rolypoos. It wasn’t my intention.

My comment wasn’t flippant. Denmark is desperate for the UK to remain in the EU because we have always been close allies in pursuing a more slow track less Federal approach to the organisation. They know that the pressure upon them to become more politically integrated is going to increase when they don’t have a big hitter member on their side of that debate . There are countries that are largely indifferent to Brexit, but will probably not stick their head above the no deal parapet. There are others – notably France, who really are fed up of the whole thing and must be close to saying ‘non’ to an extension. The question for Parliament then becomes one of whether they are feeling lucky if they reject another deal.

The absolute hard deadline falls next summer when the EU budget will be up for approval and could be vetoed by the UK if we are still members.

I’m just curious about this notion from Labour that the UK Parliament can’t be trusted to legislate on workers’ rights, environmental standards and consumer protection, such that they want to sub that work out to the EU. Bear in mind that the EU is an organisation over which you and I will have no democratic influence, post-Brexit. Doesn’t that strike you as bizarre? Are Labour planning for perpetual opposition or something?

I quite like some of what Labour says on the environment, but, as you have predicted, I don’t simply buy into what political parties say (e.g. in 2017, Labour said they would respect the result of the referendum). In Labour’s case, I wonder whether the environment would come in a contest with a TU that wanted government support for a polluting industry. I also know that money is going to be needed to pursue environmentally friendly policies and that the country won’t have any after a couple of years of a government run by Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbot and, erm, some other people.

And by the way, I really love you man. There, I just had to say it.

Aw Shucks cowboy!:
    Last edited by rolymiller; 17-10-2019 at 07:20 PM.

It,s a bit premature to say we have a reasonable deal.
    As i,ve said a few times over the summer we won,t know what the deal is until the end of the transition period and the well known phrase the devil is in the detail could come back to bite us.
    So we,re still at the mercy of the EU for a long time yet something that the backers of the Benn law have failed to contemplate. Plenty of time for the EU to punish us.
    Very naive tactics on their behalf

This is what I can’t understand as a Rotherham lad born and bred so to speak.
    I always thought that a Pantomime Horse with a red rosette on would get a 25,000 majority yet what this party are trying to do is scupper any prospect of getting the hell out with some form of a deal.
    We didn’t vote for deal or no deal we voted to leave and the labour leadership should respect that.
    I hear tonight they are predicting that the deal might be defeated by as few as three votes. Labour are whipping to get their MPs to vote against the deal which is not in line with the constituents wishes.

Yes sure the devil is in the detail but if there had been a better one it would have been found by now. Enough is enough- we have had 3 1/2 years of it. We can be liberated from Control by Europe and free to negotiate our own deals

Make no mistake the red team want power at any cost but they should be putting the countries interest first and represent their constituents. My only hope would be that should this deal fail that the Labour Party, Liberals and that SNP lot lose all their seats like they deserve. The sad part in this is that some good people might lose their seats but any general election now is going to be fought on one thing and only one thing and it rhymes with EXIT.

Our area has always been a labour stronghold but the political landscape might change forever if this gets voted down. I really think that the blow dealt in the voting booths might be terminal to labour.

I voted to remain by the way but we live in a democracy and I accept it. It’s about time everybody did the same and work for the good of the country not themselves.

Business needs certainty and it needs it NOW.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 17-10-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Come on Kevin get these other Rotherham MPs who had large leave votes to represent their costituents.No more kicking the can down the road,it is the uncertaity that is worrying business,they want a deal.This is a deal that can get this country moving upwards.Respect the voters and protect jobs get this deal done tomorrow.We're all Rotherham aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    This is what I can’t understand as a Rotherham lad born and bred so to speak.
    I always thought that a Pantomime Horse with a red rosette on would get a 25,000 majority yet what this party are trying to do is scupper any prospect of getting the hell out with some form of a deal.
    We didn’t vote for deal or no deal we voted to leave and the labour leadership should respect that.
    I hear tonight they are predicting that the deal might be defeated by as few as three votes. Labour are whipping to get their MPs to vote against the deal which is not in line with the constituents wishes.

Yes sure the devil is in the detail but if there had been a better one it would have been found by now. Enough is enough- we have had 3 1/2 years of it. We can be liberated from Control by Europe and free to negotiate our own deals

Make no mistake the red team want power at any cost but they should be putting the countries interest first and represent their constituents. My only hope would be that should this deal fail that the Labour Party, Liberals and that SNP lot lose all their seats like they deserve. The sad part in this is that some good people might lose their seats but any general election now is going to be fought on one thing and only one thing and it rhymes with EXIT.

Our area has always been a labour stronghold but the political landscape might change forever if this gets voted down. I really think that the blow dealt in the voting booths might be terminal to labour.

I voted to remain by the way but we live in a democracy and I accept it. It’s about time everybody did the same and work for the good of the country not themselves.

Business needs certainty and it needs it NOW.
    It’s the need for certainty that will drive some EU leaders to think very carefully, should Johnson be forced into seeking an extension for an unknown purpose.

I don't think the SNP will lose seats over Brexit; Scotland was strongly remain in the referendum and the SNP has been consistent in standing on a remain ticket. That being said I think Scotland will be a key battleground in any General Election that occurs in the near future; it's a given that the Tories will take a kicking, but what happens to Labour there will be significant. Personally I think that in Scotland more than anywhere they are going to pay the price for their fence sitting, ‘remain to some - leave to others’ approach.

As an aside, if the SNP get a further independence referendum (which would be their price for going into a coalition with Labour should that situation arise) and secure a leave vote and then follow through with their stated intention of joining the EU, it is going to be fun to see how the Scottish people are going to react to EU enforced customs posts on their border with England.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It’s the need for certainty that will drive some EU leaders to think very carefully, should Johnson be forced into seeking an extension for an unknown purpose.

I don't think the SNP will lose seats over Brexit; Scotland was strongly remain in the referendum and the SNP has been consistent in standing on a remain ticket. That being said I think Scotland will be a key battleground in any General Election that occurs in the near future; it's a given that the Tories will take a kicking, but what happens to Labour there will be significant. Personally I think that in Scotland more than anywhere they are going to pay the price for their fence sitting, ‘remain to some - leave to others’ approach.

As an aside, if the SNP get a further independence referendum (which would be their price for going into a coalition with Labour should that situation arise) and secure a leave vote and then follow through with their stated intention of joining the EU, it is going to be fun to see how the Scottish people are going to react to EU enforced customs posts on their border with England.
    Do you really think that if Johnson is forced into seeking an extension it would be for an unknown purpose.....really?

Hey, Zyles, great to see you man! Long time no speak.

You are right, my point was clumsily put. I should have said an extension with a poorly defined purpose and uncertain outcome. For some people it would be about securing a further referendum (with the hope that would stop Brexit), for others it would be about securing a revocation of the Article 50 notification (which would stop Brexit), for some it would be about trying to secure a harder/softer deal (depending upon their personal taste) and for others it would be about winging Johnson and then trying to secure power for themselves through a GE.

Amazingly serial agitator Corbyn managed to pass judgment on the deal without actually seeing it. It will be interesting to see how many Labour MP's in Leave voting constituencies have the courage to defy their communist leaders and vote in accordance with their voters wishes. Not many i imagine because they'll put self interest first.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    Amazingly serial agitator Corbyn managed to pass judgment on the deal without actually seeing it. It will be interesting to see how many Labour MP's in Leave voting constituencies have the courage to defy their communist leaders and vote in accordance with their voters wishes. Not many i imagine because they'll put self interest first.
    If they do that and ignore the instruction given by the people ,they will get a right kicking in the ballot box.

Page 319 of 349 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329 ... LastLast