+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 52 of 349 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Interestingly regarding the subject of another referendum .

You need a parliamentary majority to pass the bill to hold one .

The ruling party also needs a majority within it's own ranks to propose that one takes place at all .

Both are hardly slam dunks I feel .

The only way there is going to be another referendum in this country is if the powers that be are willing to accept the consequences of a civil war breaking out because that is what would happen.

If the government blatantly break the law of this country they should be imprisoned instantly for treason against the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    We've not seen serious political disorder on our streets possibly since the poll tax riots but there is every chance we may see it again .

If the country ends up staying in the EU after a democratic vote and over two years of negotiating it will tip many over the edge .

What's going on in France at the moment will seem like a custard pie fight by comparison .

Far too much anger and frustration out there for it not get nasty .

Nobody on both sides of parliament seems to know what to do once the deal is voted down next week .

Turbulent would be an understatement .

The French are different though, they'll riot at the drop of a hat.

But I think that respect for politicians in this country is at an all time low and if they don't deliver Brexit there will indeed be trouble.

They should all be out on their ears TBH, democracy has to come first.

We doput up with a lot of crap in this country but I can see that there will be some serious bother particularly if brexiteers don't get their way. I think this could split off into factions as well extreme right v extreme left.both have different visions of the brexi t they want. I think to have another referendum would just inflame this tension. Imagine if another vote came back narrowly for us to stay in the EU now.

Worrever happens now at least half the population is gonna be pretty pissed off.

I think the best solution now is to plan to go it alone in a no deal scenario at least the brexiteers could cope with that. The only problem is that patience might wear thin if it looks as though this scenario hasn't properly been prepared for. It will certainly all be a test for our national character. Hold onto your hats!
    Last edited by rolymiller; 07-12-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Fully agree with that Exile.Only one MP in this area, John Mann has stood up for his constituents and supported Brexit.It's a disgrace and these local MPs who want us to stay in this corrupted setup should be outed next time.

Seems to be much support for no deal on here. By way of balance, is that really democratic?

I think I said earlier in this thread that we could loosely break down the people in the country into these Brexit preferences:

- No deal
    - Hard Brexit al la ERG (Canada + type option)
    - May's deal
    - Soft Brexit with CU/SM Focus
    - Remain

The problem is that the commons, and behind that, all of us are incredibly split behind these deal options. Or you could break it down this way:

- No deal
    - Exit with deal of some kind
    - Remain

Again, you'd find the nation very split between these options.

However you split it though, I would confidently say that there is only a small (but very passionate) minority for the No Deal with the vast majority (48% Remain + all of those who want a deal of sorts) makes up the vast majority of our electorate.

So, if you are arguing for a democratic outcome, how can it be argued that a No Deal is democratic and represents the majority of people?

(However, it is accepted that this notion was encouraged by the crass binary choice on the 2016 ballot paper. But surely, if we are trying to get a truly democratic outcome, we have to go for a compromise that loosely reflects the national majority?)

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Seems to be much support for no deal on here. By way of balance, is that really democratic?

I think I said earlier in this thread that we could loosely break down the people in the country into these Brexit preferences:

- No deal
    - May's deal
    - Remain

The problem is that the commons, and behind that, all of us are incredibly split behind these deal options. Or you could break it down this way:

- No deal
    - Remain

However you split it though, I would confidently say that there is only a small (but very passionate) minority for the No Deal with the vast majority (48% Remain + all of those who want a deal of sorts) makes up the vast majority of our electorate.

So, if you are arguing for a democratic outcome, how can it be argued that a No Deal is democratic and represents the majority of people?

(However, it is accepted that this notion was encouraged by the crass binary choice on the 2016 ballot paper. But surely, if we are trying to get a truly democratic outcome, we have to go for a compromise that loosely reflects the national majority?)

However you split it though, I would confidently say that there is only a small (but very passionate) minority for the No Deal with the vast majority (48% Remain + all of those who want a deal of sorts) makes up the vast majority of our electorate. [/Quote]

Where on earth do you get that conclusion from?
    Have you been meeting with KA?
    I believe that the majority want a deal but certainly not this one
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 08-12-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

- No deal
    - May's deal
    - Remain

- No deal
    - Remain

We've already had a democratic vote on whether to leave or remain.

Surely your options should only be;

- No deal

Page 52 of 349 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast