+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 152 of 349 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

If May wants to take the populist position it's generally a good idea to be popular yourself at the same time .

Off the top of my head , the people hate her , her own party hates her , parliament hates her and the EU to boot .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Off the top of my head , the people hate her , her own party hates her , parliament hates her and the EU to boot .
    I'm not sure what the evidence is for people 'hating' May, but if it's true, where does that leave Labour? Isn't her approval rating generally higher than that of The Great Leader?

You need to get out more
    & yes we know you are not a fan of Labour
    Can't think how we come to that conclusion
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 21-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The May deal is a compromise, raging. That's why the ERG hate it. And when I ask you what sort of compromise your party is willing to make on it's CU proposal (which was rejected by Parliament) you go all 'what do I know, I'm a mere drama graduate on' me..

You talk about the damage to the economy that a no deal exit would do, but in the same breath talk about a long extension... Don't you know how damaging that would be?

And you are still ignoring the fact that the EU have to agree any deal that your 'focus trading' might achieve one day at some indeterminate point in the future.

The EU have said that if we want to leave with a deal, we need to accept the one that is on the table. Closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears. going 'La la la - I can't hear you whilst taking part in an endless 'focus trading' exercise isn't going to change that.

How are you getting on with your 'focus trading' with gf? Go on, show us how to reach a compromise.
    The May deal is an unsuccessful compromise. That's why it has been so heavily defeated. A democratic handling of this is to find consensus by the compromise. This has clearly failed.

Further compromise does not hang around just the SU. It also has to involve refocused discussion on the SM, FoM, ECJ. For me I would be more willing to compromise on restricting FoM to get as close to friction free trade as possible as well as compromise on ECJ arrangements. Those are the areas that I would like to see greater compromise in return for friction free trade.

GF would not compromise with me on this, nor would the more hard line conservatives. Nor would you. But I am more interested in more moderate conservatives that would be willing to compromise on this. If there are not enough to form a majority with the other parties, to make for a greater majority than May's deal, then so be it, we exit with may's compromise. It's the not exploring this option that causes resentment.

Of course the EU would need to approve this but they have made it clear that they would favour this type of compromise more than May's and an extension would be granted for this to occur. I don't mind the damage that an extension would cause as the benefits would outweigh them in my opinion in getting improved trade arrangements.

This pretty much sums it up for me:

TUC and CBI issue joint statement saying UK faces 'national emergency' and May must embrace plan B

Frances O’Grady, the general secretary of the TUC, and Carolyn Fairbairn, the director general of the CBI, have written a joint open letter to Theresa May saying that the country is facing a “national emergency” over Brexit and that she should adopt a “plan B”.

It is very unusual for the countries main employers’ organisation and the body representing trade unions to unite in this way with such a strongly-worded message to government.

Here it is in full.

Together we represent millions of workers and tens of thousands of businesses. It is on their behalf that we are writing to you to ask you to change your Brexit approach.

Our country is facing a national emergency. Decisions of recent days have caused the risk of no deal to soar. Firms and communities across the UK are not ready for this outcome. The shock to our economy would be felt by generations to come.

We ask you to take three steps to protect the jobs, rights and livelihoods of ordinary working people.

First, avoiding no deal is paramount. Businesses and employees alike need to see their government clearly acknowledge the reckless damage no deal would cause and recommit itself to avoiding this outcome.

Second, securing an extension has become essential. 88% of CBI members and a majority in parliament agree this is better than no deal. But at the same time an extension must genuinely allow a way forwards, and be long enough for a deal to be agreed.

Third, ‘the current deal or no deal’ must not be the only choice. A Plan B must be found - one that protects workers, the economy and an open Irish border, commands a parliamentary majority, and is negotiable with the EU. A new approach is needed to secure this – whether through indicative votes or another mechanism for compromise.

We cannot overstate the gravity of this crisis for firms and working people. We request an urgent meeting with you to discuss our concerns and hear your response.

Hot off the press, you heard it here first, "Brexit will be the end of May".

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

TUC and CBI issue joint statement saying UK faces 'national emergency' and May must embrace plan B

Frances O’Grady, the general secretary of the TUC, and Carolyn Fairbairn, the director general of the CBI, have written a joint open letter to Theresa May saying that the country is facing a “national emergency” over Brexit and that she should adopt a “plan B”.

It is very unusual for the countries main employers’ organisation and the body representing trade unions to unite in this way with such a strongly-worded message to government.

Here it is in full.

Together we represent millions of workers and tens of thousands of businesses. It is on their behalf that we are writing to you to ask you to change your Brexit approach.

Our country is facing a national emergency. Decisions of recent days have caused the risk of no deal to soar. Firms and communities across the UK are not ready for this outcome. The shock to our economy would be felt by generations to come.

We ask you to take three steps to protect the jobs, rights and livelihoods of ordinary working people.

First, avoiding no deal is paramount. Businesses and employees alike need to see their government clearly acknowledge the reckless damage no deal would cause and recommit itself to avoiding this outcome.

Second, securing an extension has become essential. 88% of CBI members and a majority in parliament agree this is better than no deal. But at the same time an extension must genuinely allow a way forwards, and be long enough for a deal to be agreed.

Third, ‘the current deal or no deal’ must not be the only choice. A Plan B must be found - one that protects workers, the economy and an open Irish border, commands a parliamentary majority, and is negotiable with the EU. A new approach is needed to secure this – whether through indicative votes or another mechanism for compromise.

We cannot overstate the gravity of this crisis for firms and working people. We request an urgent meeting with you to discuss our concerns and hear your response.
    There wasn't a plan A from the outset pup never mind a plan B with days to go before the 29th .

I'm sure something will turn up !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

Here it is in full.

Do people actually believe this?

[QUOTE=animallittle3;39177061

I'm sure something will turn up !!!![/QUOTE]

Mr Micawber always expected something would turn up

Page 152 of 349 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast