+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 147 of 349 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

It would be nice if it was all done and dusted and we could draw a line under it Brin but it is is likely to be a even longer running saga now with more twists and turns on the way. We can't ignore it because the ultimate ending will have such big repercussions for us all and very likely generations to come. We have to all grin and bear it.

Roly, my friend I know that I get that and this has been to all intentions a good thread for people to offer their own personal views. Thing is I get this daily on TV, RADIO and in the PRESS. I really feel that with all that going on, I really don't want to see it on my 'football' board.

It's had a great run and will probably hold the largest record ever, well done for raising it. Let's put a cap on it now though if only on this footy board web site.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It's not surprising given that the UK does not have a written constitution and relies, instead, upon a myriad of archaic conventions and unwritten rules. For all his attempt at face saving comments, Bercow didn't seem to know about the rule given that he allowed meaningful vote 2.
    Much as I can't stand Bercow, he's an odious, egostistical little man, he said he allowed the second vote because there were changes to the legal proposals regarding the Irish backstop. There are, however, no changes to the deal being brought forward for the latest vote so, technically, that shouldn't be allowed and Bercow is correct in blocking it.
    Interestingly, the Independent highlighted this potential situation in January so if they knew about the convention it seems even more incredible that neither May's advisors nor the Opposition did.

I appreciate that Bercow is claiming that MV2 was different to MV1 - that's what I meant when I talked about an attempt at face saving. The deal voted on in MV2 was identical to that in MV1; the only change was a bit of EU fudge around non-binding assurances.

As Roly pointed out, we live in interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I appreciate that Bercow is claiming that MV2 was different to MV1 - that's what I meant when I talked about an attempt at face saving. The deal voted on in MV2 was identical to that in MV1; the only change was a bit of EU fudge around non-binding assurances.

As Roly pointed out, we live in interesting times.
    Frustrating times I'd say.
    I wonder if May and her advisors will dream up another little "add-on" to her deal and put that forward for a third vote.
    It would put Bercow in a difficult position and it would be interesting to see how he dealt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Frustrating times I'd say.
    I wonder if May and her advisors will dream up another little "add-on" to her deal and put that forward for a third vote.
    It would put Bercow in a difficult position and it would be interesting to see how he dealt with it.

Well Bercow is obviously a very smart man to remember all those precedents, including those dating back hundreds of years.

Or did he purposely search and dig to find something to frustrate the brexit process?

Neither. Chris Bryant MP brought it to his attention last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Well Bercow is obviously a very smart man to remember all those precedents, including those dating back hundreds of years.

Or did he purposely search and dig to find something to frustrate the brexit process?
    In fairness, this precedent was well discussed in the media even before MV2 and certainly in the last 2 weeks. It needed no uncovering and a suggested vote last week (didn't go ahead) suggested blocking further votes along these lines.

The only surprise is that the Government seem surprised - it's quite a clear ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    In fairness, this precedent was well discussed in the media even before MV2 and certainly in the last 2 weeks. It needed no uncovering and a suggested vote last week (didn't go ahead) suggested blocking further votes along these lines.

The only surprise is that the Government seem surprised - it's quite a clear ruling.
    Is it a ruling or a precedent?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Is it a ruling or a precedent?
    Not sure how you'd describe it! Seems to be a rule that parliament have to abide by, so rule I guess.

Point is, it's quite clear on what a government can/can't do and all know this. It seems to be a bit arrogant for a government to think that they can ignore or over rule such a clear rule without clear consideration and agreement with all concerned.

Page 147 of 349 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast