+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 59 of 349 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    You are right about London great_fire. It's a different world to most of the rest of the country and I'd imagine 95% of London's population are Remainers and that,unfortunately, is where the self-interested influence dictates. Sod the rest of us !
    28% of Londoners live in poverty , 7% above the national average .

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    You are right about London great_fire. It's a different world to most of the rest of the country and I'd imagine 95% of London's population are Remainers and that,unfortunately, is where the self-interested influence dictates. Sod the rest of us !
    Sounds a bit distorted to my experience as a London exile. Most of us on normal wages are struggling to pay the mortgage. I think the biggest difference is that we already live in a multi cultural city and, warts and all, are quite happy with that on balance, so lack the Immigration focus that many have as a driver for the leave vote. But as far as financial security goes, I lack a long way behind most of my Rotherham family and friends, many of whom have paid off their houses now. I'm 52 and have another 23 years left on a London mortgage!

A different world indeed!

It was actually 60% Remain in London, amongst the chattering classes you are looking at 90% though, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Sounds a bit distorted to my experience as a London exile. Most of us on normal wages are struggling to pay the mortgage. I think the biggest difference is that we already live in a multi cultural city and, warts and all, are quite happy with that on balance, so lack the Immigration focus that many have as a driver for the leave vote. But as far as financial security goes, I lack a long way behind most of my Rotherham family and friends, many of whom have paid off their houses now. I'm 52 and have another 23 years left on a London mortgage!

A different world indeed!

"so lack the Immigration focus that many have as a driver for the leave vote."

Agree with your sentiments rp but you should not make such assumptions a la KA as you are not privvy to that information on reasons for voting one way or another

I see the talent in the Tory Party are positioning themselves to replace May should she bite the bullet anytime after Tuesday .

You've got to laugh of course at the likes of McVey of Universal Credit fame , Boris the buffoon thinks he's a sniff of course and let's not rule out Gove who manages to support a hard brexit and still supports the PM at the same time .

Old Linton will have to earn his corn turning these candidates in to an electable face should we go to a GE .

Only failing Grayling could add to the comedy but it's likely he wouldn't even know a leadership contest was taking place given his record on the train service thus far .

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Sniping away as per Kerr.

Have you decided what view you're going to support next after the Tuesday vote? At least the No Dealers have a consistent view that won't change by the week - they've said what they want after Tuesday, I've said what I want - what about yourself? What do you WANT to happen after the commons defeat of your leader?

(I know you're very sensitive to people using caps to emphasise points in posts, but you seem to have difficulty recognising the emphasis of my question despite repeated attempts.)
    I fear it is you who is being a wee bit sensitive. I've done nothing but try to help you out on this thread - allowing you to navigate between withdrawal deals and transition periods etc. I wasn't sniping (ok, I did take the mickey out of animal and his rather fluid opinions, but he likes it really). I was making a serious point about the depth of division within the Labour Party.

Suppose the Labour Party moves a vote of no confidence next week and the DUP MPs have a rush of blood and decide to support them despite the Republican sympathies of the Labour leadership. A GE campaign would be carnage as Labour tried to settle on a policy; Starmer would be at McDonnells throat, Exile at yours and poor old Jez would be torn by conflicting instructions from you boys at Momentum, who want a further referendum and Len McCluskey, who doesn't.

You surely can't want that.

It's never been a party political thing.

Enoch Powell and Tony Benn were on the same side in 1975.

And Thatcher was for staying in, for all of her anti-Europe reputation.

Last edited by great_fire; 09-12-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Has anyone on here thought about changing the way they voted now that we have had all this sh1t thrown at us are has it made you more pro the way you voted?

I'm more pro the way I voted - Out with a no deal now but originally out with some type of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    It's never been a party political thing.

Enoch Powell and Tony Benn were on the same side in 1975.

And Thatcher was for staying in, for all of her anti-Europe reputation.

Different times fire and the EU a totally different beast than today don't you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Has anyone on here thought about changing the way they voted now that we have had all this sh1t thrown at us are has it made you more pro the way you voted?

I'm more pro the way I voted - Out with a no deal now but originally out with some type of deal.
    I do know one person who voted Remain who thinks we should leave, because he respects democracy unlike many, possibly most Remainers.

Don't know anyone else who's changed their mind.

Polls apparently say many leavers now want to stay which wouldn't be a surprise after 2 years of non-stop anti-Brexit scare stories from the media.
    Last edited by great_fire; 09-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Page 59 of 349 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast