+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: According to Graham Jones...

According to Graham Jones...

The line up against Leeds was a one-off. I cannot believe we are going back to a back three trying to play the ball out of defence with the usual suspects. I accept you have to adapt tactics for different teams but in my world we have to keep a back four with the players we have available to us. All the good feeling the fans got from the Leeds result will disappear in a flash if we revert back on Friday night and get turned over by Ipswich.

Evening J.D. Earlier in the week Darren Moore went on record to state its horses for courses this season. I didn’t listen to the interview earlier but Jones may have been reinforcing this point. I’d be interested to know if he actually said we’ll definitely be playing three at the back for Ipswich or whether that's just your interpretation.

If so then to state such in advance of the game is either naïve or calculated with an aim to keep the opposition guessing. If not there’s no need to panic yet as we may just be altering the tactics as opposed to the formation. Against Leeds it was a counter attacking 433, against a bottom of the table Ipswich with one league win to their credit it may be an attacking 433. Also would three at the back be the worst thing in the world if it meant an extra body in midfield allowing us to go 343 so long as we don’t piss about at the back?

Whatever happens I’m looking forward to Friday. Regardless of formation I’ll be well pissed off if we return to the lacklustre and languid build up witnessed at Blues and Hull et.al though.

He did not say that it was gonna be back to a back three specifically, but in stating that the 4 4 2 line up against Leeds was a one off then I am I suppose cynically assuming its gonna revert to a back three. Hopefully it will be a back four, but trying to keep a little more possession than we saw against Leeds. What do I know at the end of the day.

Jones went to Leeds previous match the win v Wigan and rated it the best performance from a Championship side. He thought their style of play was the same as he had seen from a Bielsa managed Athlico Bilbao a few years ago and set up the Albion to counter it. He then went on to make the point that was all very well but it was the players who made it work. Special mention for HRK.

Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Jones went to Leeds previous match the win v Wigan and rated it the best performance from a Championship side. He thought their style of play was the same as he had seen from a Bielsa managed Athlico Bilbao a few years ago and set up the Albion to counter it. He then went on to make the point that was all very well but it was the players who made it work. Special mention for HRK.

Interesting stuff.
    Its the sort of thing I like to hear, I don't want us to rigidly stick to one formation. Its just a matter of time before you get found out - look at what Derby did to us.

I'm happy for the formation and personal to be changed depending on opposition. But then its great when it works like against Leeds, but when it doesn't then the knives will be out for them both..

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Its the sort of thing I like to hear, I don't want us to rigidly stick to one formation. Its just a matter of time before you get found out - look at what Derby did to us.

I'm happy for the formation and personal to be changed depending on opposition. But then its great when it works like against Leeds, but when it doesn't then the knives will be out for them both..
    Knives will be out for them every time we lose no matter what formation we play!

The reality is that this league is just unpredictable and we need to not over hype the great performances or be over critical when it doesn’t happen for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    Knives will be out for them every time we lose no matter what formation we play!

The reality is that this league is just unpredictable and we need to not over hype the great performances or be over critical when it doesn’t happen for whatever reason.

Morning Yarm - name one "great" performance away from home please? I could make a list of poor performances.

If Big Dave reverts to 3 at the back on Friday against a team who are worse than Preston and Hull and we lose and more importantly don't put in a performance - he will get slated and could you blame anyone to do this! The 1,000 supporters on Friday and not going to Ipswich to see tractors but to see a squad ( mainly ) on premier league wages put in a decent performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post

we need to not over hype the great performances or be over critical when it doesn’t happen for whatever reason.
    That'll be a first!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

I don't necessarily agree. If you are good enough you can impose your style on any team. Did Wolves change very much thro last season?

I also reckon players win matches not formations.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I don't necessarily agree. If you are good enough you can impose your style on any team. Did Wolves change very much thro last season?

I also reckon players win matches not formations.
    That's exactly what these forums are for. I think every manager has to adapt. I can't say I've followed Wolves too closely this year, but would they go into a game v Man City away with the same mindset and formation as if they were playing Huddersfield at Home? Maybe they would, but I would argue they would defend deeper away against a big boy than at home against a team they should be beating.

And I do agree with your last statement to an extent. But when two teams are evenly matched, then the formations and tactics win you games IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)