+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dean Smith

Dean Smith

I haven't been this excited since MoN took us to Europe. A manager who loves the club and the lads are playing for him. And man, how much fire power do we suddenly seem to have up front now!?

Are you happy so far? Tactics /Subs/ Playing players in their best positions ?

I wasn't happy with his team selection at first. Way too defensive and leaving some of our best players on the bench like Horihane kodjia.
    However the last two games have convinced me he's the best man for the job. I honestly think we will get promoted automatically.

Exactly how too defensive?he has plYed a strait back 4 since he got here! And that was playing defenders in their natural positions. Got to be honest, im not convinced by Kodija this term!
    On any other day we would have beaten QPR, we pkayed really well so out of his 1st 5 games, just the one off game. Not bad in my books. Now more importantly, lets see if the pkayers have the bottle for the blouse game. Win that and its 60% win rate....

Progress report put in to perspective

• The improvements are clear
    • Playing some of the best football I’ve seen us play since we get relegated
    • We now have a clear game plan & a coherent style of play
    • Pleased to see players playing in their natural positions
    • Putting an inform Derby to the sword 0¬3 (away) Playing to win rather than playing not to lose. this sort of result & performance would never have happened under S Bruce

Bruce
    • Uber cautious
    • Hammering round pegs into square holes
    • Couldn't name a single player who improved under his management
    • A catalog of players in the 'got worse' column
    • Inability to implement a game plan let alone explain it and enthuse the players.

If Smudger was in charge in the playoffs, we would not have left disapointed!!
    I still think a Manager like Smith could get the best out of Ross Mac but i will leave that one for another day....

The only thing I'll disagree with you on Freer is that no players got better - Jack improved, as did Hutton and arguably Chessie too. The influence of JT on all 3 is undeniable.

Coherent style of play - great point.

Good shout W C V re: Jack, Hutton and Chessie

If anyone has an odd hour or so to fill in the names “in the 'got worse' column” please do

Things happen for a reason I guess. Bruce didn't get the best out of the squad agreed but the opportunity to play under Bruce attracted some very decent players. Hopefully smith can add the finishing ingredient because he defiantly doesn't need I new squad.

With success you build your own reputation and people want you. Bruce had his hayday but then got confused with his own ways but you have to give him credit, maybe a play off final win would have been his swan song?
    Smith looks the part, villa fan and all but has a lot to prove but he has all the makings of a fine Man Manager! Im afraid Bruce joins all the other tired dinosaur managers! They have had their day, time to move on.

Brentford struggling without Deano.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)