+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nolan In Talks

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Exactly this. People seem to focus only on the worst aspects of Nolan's time at Notts, but there was much more good than bad. As TheProphet has pointed out, even the famous 'awful after Christmas' period wasn't that bad. We had promotion-winning form for the first half of the season, and then mid-table form for the second. We also had a great cup run, providing much-needed funds. We had the highest average attendance in a generation. We got to the playoffs, and were unlucky not to go further. The games we did lose were never hammerings (apart from Swansea away), and we were generally hard to beat. Last season was a great season.
    I completely agree with all that you say. Some people are making the Nolan era seem far worse than it was. We had a great 2017 and to finish last season in the playoffs was a really good achievement. It was the best season we have had for years.

It all went wrong after the Coventry defeat which I’ve said before hit Kevin Nolan hard. The key problems were the loss of Yates, the injury to Bennet and the drop in form of Grant not to mention as great as they were Ameobi and Stead should not have been relied on so much. Then there is the change of direction and the recruitment of the squad we have this season that finds itself near the foot of league two.

Overall Kevin Nolan’s league record is as follows;

League Total
    P72, W31, D19, L22 Pts 112 (1.56 ppg)

Win Ratio; 43%

2016/17 - League
    P21, W10, D4, L7, Pts 34

2017/18 - League
    P46, W21, D14, L11 Pts 77

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I completely agree with all that you say. Some people are making the Nolan era seem far worse than it was. We had a great 2017 and to finish last season in the playoffs was a really good achievement. It was the best season we have had for years.

It all went wrong after the Coventry defeat which I’ve said before hit Kevin Nolan hard. The key problems were the loss of Yates, the injury to Bennet and the drop in form of Grant not to mention as great as they were Ameobi and Stead should not have been relied on so much. Then there is the change of direction and the recruitment of the squad we have this season that finds itself near the foot of league two.

Overall Kevin Nolan’s league record is as follows;

League Total
    P72, W31, D19, L22 Pts 112 (1.56 ppg)

Win Ratio; 43%

2016/17 - League
    P21, W10, D4, L7, Pts 34

2017/18 - League
    P46, W21, D14, L11 Pts 77
    Overall? You have missed 2018/19

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    The overall stat is correct in terms of league games as he managed 72 games. Yes I forgot to add the 2018/19;

2018/19
    P5, W0, D1, L4 Pts 1

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    And the 15 games he managed Leyton Orient in 2016, with a win percentage of 46.7%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    And the 15 games he managed Leyton Orient in 2016, with a win percentage of 46.7%.
    Ahh statistics!

Brian Clough and Bill Shankly have both been quoted as saying: " You are only as good as your last game". Now I won't be that critical of Nolan but ask you instead to look at his managerial performance over 8 months.

I'm not going to belittle Nolan's achievement in keeping us in the football league but at some point you have to see that his form from the beginning of 2018 - a whole 28 games - was awful and would have earned him the sack at any ambitious 4th division club.

That of course is without considering his incompetent summer recruitment programme that left us without any meaningful cover in defense and no replacements for the outgoing, dominant centre midfielders: Yates and O'Connor.

Throw into that unfortunate mix the shocking fitness levels of the squad and Nolan's off the pitch issues and he can have absolutely no complaints about his dismissal.

At the risk of being controversial; I personally would have brought in a new manager after the Coventry debacle. The gulf between the two sides in the playoffs was obvious to any impartial, neutral supporter. It was not just about poor refereeing decisions. We were very much second best over the two legs.

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Ahh statistics!

Brian Clough and Bill Shankly have both been quoted as saying: " You are only as good as your last game". Now I won't be that critical of Nolan but ask you instead to look at his managerial performance over 8 months.

I'm not going to belittle Nolan's achievement in keeping us in the football league but at some point you have to see that his form from the beginning of 2018 - a whole 28 games - was awful and would have earned him the sack at any ambitious 4th division club.

That of course is without considering his incompetent summer recruitment programme that left us without any meaningful cover in defense and no replacements for the outgoing, dominant centre midfielders: Yates and O'Connor.

Throw into that unfortunate mix the shocking fitness levels of the squad and Nolan's off the pitch issues and he can have absolutely no complaints about his dismissal.

At the risk of being controversial; I personally would have brought in a new manager after the Coventry debacle. The gulf between the two sides in the playoffs was obvious to any impartial, neutral supporter. It was not just about poor refereeing decisions. We were very much second best over the two legs.
    Agree with almost all of this except saying we were second best in both play-off legs. We were definitely second best in the second leg, but we should have won the first leg and were only robbed by (yet another) shocking refereeing decision.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345