+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nolan In Talks

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Actually steered us a way from certain relegation to conference, and got us to play offs

I am sick of your brigade always stating his worst stats 8 from 28, yet you fail to mention all the games he won before January, which he gets no credit for
    Yes he did well because of the squad he had. As soon as O'Connor and Yates weren't available to him, he failed to replace them and we are form was terrible. Just shows he didn't actually realised how he managed to get his early results, otherwise he'd not have dropped the formula and would have done his best to get a replacement in for Yates and O'Connor this year

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Yes he did well because of the squad he had. As soon as O'Connor and Yates weren't available to him, he failed to replace them and we are form was terrible. Just shows he didn't actually realised how he managed to get his early results, otherwise he'd not have dropped the formula and would have done his best to get a replacement in for Yates and O'Connor this year
    He did well because of the squad he had? Duffy and Brisley in defence. Stead and Ameobi up front?

He failed to replace Yates and that was a massive part of the problem but so was his over-achieving early on in the season.

Lets not forget he got us to round 4 of the FA cup and drew to a PL team.

The form from January that everyone loves talking about included 8 victories, 7 defeats, only one of which was by more than one goal and 6 draws.

We conceded the 4th fewest goals in the division and had the third highest goal difference.

Yes our form dropped off towards the end, some of his summer recruitment wasn't the best and we didn't start the season well, but last season was a massive success, on and off the pitch. It's just a massive shame we couldn't carry that momentum through to this season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    He did well because of the squad he had? Duffy and Brisley in defence. Stead and Ameobi up front?

He failed to replace Yates and that was a massive part of the problem but so was his over-achieving early on in the season.

The form from January that everyone loves talking about included 8 victories, 7 defeats, only one of which was by more than one goal and 6 draws.

We conceded the 4th fewest goals in the division and had the third highest goal difference.

Yes our form dropped off towards the end, some of his summer recruitment wasn't the best and we didn't start the season well, but last season was a massive success, on and off the pitch. It's just a massive shame we couldn't carry that momentum through to this season.
    Duffy and Brisley in defence wasn't bad, they had cover from the midfield. Stead and Shola up front wasn't bad, Shola often took up two markers leaving someone free (either Grant or Stead). We had a pretty decent squad regardless of what people may have thought. We lacked pace but other than that, we were a solid side

Duffy and Brisley in defence wasn't bad, they had cover from the midfield. Stead and Shola up front wasn't bad, Shola often took up two markers leaving someone free (either Grant or Stead). We had a pretty decent squad regardless of what people may have thought. We lacked pace but other than that, we were a solid side
    I agree we were "solid", but to claim Nolan only did well because of the squad is unfair, you make it sound like the squad was at Munto levels and anyone could have got us into the play offs.

I also think you are being a little too kind to those 4 players. Duffy was slated all season despite our form and league position and it has continued this season. Ameobi was 37 and had been out of football for over 12 months.

I agree we were "solid", but to claim Nolan only did well because of the squad is unfair, you make it sound like the squad was at Munto levels and anyone could have got us into the play offs.

I also think you are being a little too kind to those 4 players. Duffy was slated all season despite our form and league position and it has continued this season. Ameobi was 37 and had been out of football for over 12 months.
    I didn't say it was down to the squad we got in the playoffs at all. I am saying that Nolan stumbled upon a squad of players that fit his style. When the combative midfielder was not available, we went to pieces and what I am saying is the fact he didn't replace the lost combative midfielders shows that he didn't actually realise how he got us to win in the first place. I'd argue that had he replaced Yates with Milsom when Yates got recalled, we'd have been playing in League 1 right now having gone up automatically. Again, not saying Milsom would have cured all the ills of the backend of the season but I'd suspect we'd have picked up a couple more wins and that was all that was needed

I didn't say it was down to the squad we got in the playoffs at all. I am saying that Nolan stumbled upon a squad of players that fit his style. When the combative midfielder was not available, we went to pieces and what I am saying is the fact he didn't replace the lost combative midfielders shows that he didn't actually realise how he got us to win in the first place. I'd argue that had he replaced Yates with Milsom when Yates got recalled, we'd have been playing in League 1 right now having gone up automatically. Again, not saying Milsom would have cured all the ills of the backend of the season but I'd suspect we'd have picked up a couple more wins and that was all that was needed
    Fair enough, that I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    Please bin this idea NOW!

* 8 wins in 28 games.

* Zero tactical nous - HOOF!

* Biblical fcuk ups in the summer transfer window and fitness preperation of the squad.

* Ongoing off the pitch issues

In super market speak Nolan is a ' date expired pie'
    Looking forward now to posts from new user - "Date_expired_Pie"

I think you will also find that the leagh was crap witch helped last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    Looking forward now to posts from new user - "Date_expired_Pie"
    Yeah - well I did try to sell the intellectual property rights of that username to both Nolan and Kewell but strangely neither of them were interested !

Exactly this. People seem to focus only on the worst aspects of Nolan's time at Notts, but there was much more good than bad. As TheProphet has pointed out, even the famous 'awful after Christmas' period wasn't that bad. We had promotion-winning form for the first half of the season, and then mid-table form for the second. We also had a great cup run, providing much-needed funds. We had the highest average attendance in a generation. We got to the playoffs, and were unlucky not to go further. The games we did lose were never hammerings (apart from Swansea away), and we were generally hard to beat. Last season was a great season.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast