+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Short list down to 3

I like Allen when he was here but that was awhile ago and he seems to have lost whatever he had, it's a no from me. I'd rather keep Chettle in charge until either he proves himself a good manager or we appoint the right one. No point rushing now.

When Martin Allen was down here managing Eastleigh a couple of years ago, he developed a ticker problem. I paid attention because it sounded very similar to mine. I don't know what his current state of health is, but I'm not at all surprised that some of the wind seems to have gone out of his sails. I really liked what I saw of him when he was managing Notts, but some posters on here have suggested that the front and the reality didn't always match. I'd be disappointed if it was so, but who knows? Distinguishing truth from rumour on here isn't easy.

I tend to agree with the notion of trusting Chettle to at least not make things worse while taking the time to make a proper, balanced decision. Either way, it's a very unsettling situation for everyone.

The odds on all the apparent contenters have lengthened.

Which makes me think that no one knows and also our preferred candidates have turned us down.

I'd leave it with Chettle for at least a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I like Allen when he was here but that was awhile ago and he seems to have lost whatever he had.
    I can see how people might conclude that from his unsuccessful spell at Eastleigh and his current struggles at Chesterfield, but I forgot when I posted last night that between those jobs he came within a millimetre of pulling off a remarkable great escape for Barnet last season, achieving a 62.5% win percentage with a team that was previously well adrift at the bottom of League Two. Plus of course he successfully pulled off the miracle for us a few years back in League One, having taken over a team on a run of 8 consecutive defeats, so if you're looking for a man proven in the current circumstances, he's more eligible than most.

I don't think you will find many - if any - managers with a career as long as Martin Allen's, and so many different clubs, who will have been successful everywhere they went. It's just the nature of football that it doesn't always work out, even for good managers. Neil Warnock for instance is widely regarded as one of the best Football League managers ever, but even he had a bad spell at Bury.

Allen's record overall is a good one, with a 40% win percentage over the course of an extensive career. As I've said, my first choice by some distance would be Paul Hurst, because he would represent a fresh start, but if Martin walked back through the door I'd be more than willing to give him a warm welcome and get behind him. He's a big personality capable of lifting the gloom and connecting with the players and the fan base. It's certainly never boring when he's in the house.
    Last edited by jackal2; 17-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I can see how people might conclude that from his unsuccessful spell at Eastleigh and his current struggles at Chesterfield, but I forgot when I posted last night that between those jobs he came within a millimetre of pulling off a remarkable great escape for Barnet last season, achieving a 62.5% win percentage with a team that was previously well adrift at the bottom of League Two. Plus of course he successfully pulled off the miracle for us a few years back in League One, having taken over a team on a run of 8 consecutive defeats, so if you're looking for a man proven in the current circumstances, he's more eligible than most.

I don't think you will find many - if any - managers with a career as long as Martin Allen's, and so many different clubs, who will have been successful everywhere they went. It's just the nature of football that it doesn't always work out, even for good managers. Neil Warnock for instance is widely regarded as one of the best Football League managers ever, but even he had a bad spell at Bury.

Allen's record overall is a good one, with a 40% win percentage over the course of an extensive career. As I've said, my first choice by some distance would be Paul Hurst, because he would represent a fresh start, but if Martin walked back through the door I'd be more than willing to give him a warm welcome and get behind him. He's a big personality capable of lifting the gloom and connecting with the players and the fan base. It's certainly never boring when he's in the house.
    That's probably what Chesterfield thought when they signed him up in May. Not for me, thanks.

Allen would be an absolute disaster, the mans a complete buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I liked Allen but I think he's lost alot of the mojo he used to have. True his win percentage at Barnet is high but he has a long standing affiliation/love in with that club which often relates to them doing well at that club but once they move it's not the same, it happens to a lot of players as well once they move clubs.

I would give Martin a warm welcome as well as I would nearly every manager we appoint but he would seem a step backwards for me, true he might have enough spirit to see us string some results together and stay up but I don't believe he is the man for the long term so what's the point as we'd only end up getting rid of him again. I'd rather keep Chettle (who I think might be better than people realise) until we keep him or appoint someone for the future.

Whatever manager we get in though the question remains, can he makes a silk purse or at least a nice fabric purse out of a sows ear? Juries out for me still, the midfield we have is shockingly bad. The defence can manage I think and the attack is decent but there's nothing there in the middle at all, set of pansies if you ask me, they need to grow a pair of balls and put their foot in where it hurts.

It's a poor sign of where we are that the "Official" betting shows people of the calibre of Ex-Wimbledon, Ex-Barnet, Ex-Cambridge, and a bloke currently managing in the National league, all to replace someone who used to manage Crawley before us. I'm not sure where we go from here, but this state of affairs doesn't fill me with much optimism.

The one person who could put minds at ease is AH. Without saying who is in the frame to be the next rabbit in the headlights, he could at least rule out one or two so we can give out a collective sigh of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    It's a poor sign of where we are that the "Official" betting shows people of the calibre of Ex-Wimbledon, Ex-Barnet, Ex-Cambridge, and a bloke currently managing in the National league, all to replace someone who used to manage Crawley before us. I'm not sure where we go from here, but this state of affairs doesn't fill me with much optimism.

The one person who could put minds at ease is AH. Without saying who is in the frame to be the next rabbit in the headlights, he could at least rule out one or two so we can give out a collective sigh of relief.
    I see some money has gone on Chettle, who is now 10/1. Mind you, if we lose today, he'll have no chance.

In fairness to him, he sounds very level headed and was keen to stress he already has a role at the club. So maybe he doesn't wan't to risk that for a go on the revolving doors.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast