+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Improving Football

O/T Improving Football

Interesting article on BBC Sport, talking to Dave Cormack at Aberdeen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46213364

Now a lot of the ideas might well be rubbish but good to see someone thinking of something different.

Would love to see us move to summer football, bring season tickets down to £150 for adults to try and increase numbers (keep pay at the gate prices the same to encourage folk to go regularlt), open a soft play/creche facility next to Gussie Park for match days and have some sort of 'socios' membership like Barcelona (or Hearts but that sounds less glamorous.

Any ideas to get people to Tannadice and football in general regularly?

In the meantime I will await a call from MM to talk through my ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dundeeunitedfc View Post

Now a lot of the ideas might well be rubbish but good to see someone thinking of something different.

Would love to see us move to summer football, bring season tickets down to £150 for adults to try and increase numbers (keep pay at the gate prices the same to encourage folk to go regularlt), open a soft play/creche facility next to Gussie Park for match days and have some sort of 'socios' membership like Barcelona (or Hearts but that sounds less glamorous.

Speak with Jim McLean. He had many ideas designed to fill Tannadice, such as half time pillow fights, jousting, etc, etc.

How about a 'Super Shed'? It could incorporate a Mega Tesco, Indoor Ice Rink, sustainable energy wind turbines and with easy Monorail connections would be a real winner. If you build it,they will come - that's what I say!

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    Speak with Jim McLean. He had many ideas designed to fill Tannadice, such as half time pillow fights, jousting, etc, etc.
    I wouldn't fancy a pillow fight with wee Jim. He would have a brick in his.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundeeunitedfc View Post

The lack of imagination in trying to improve the game in our country is depressing.

Summer football is an obvious starting point but that particular conversation never goes very far.

The price we pay is ridiculous. A flat rate season ticket for £200 that allows 1 adult and 1 child in would be a reasonable price to pay and help get our future supporters hooked.

Most guys that play amateur football on a Saturday afternoon support a football team but can't watch them as the kick-off times clash. Why not alter kick-off times to allow these folk to do both things. Say 1pm kick-offs for amateurs and 3.30pm for professional teams.

Regular Friday night games seem to attract bigger crowds - why not try this on a regular basis.

Invite members of the Young Terrors to come a bit earlier on match days and meet some of the players that are not involved in that day's game in the concourses (happens at some clubs down south and on the continent). Meeting their heroes is exciting for the kids and gets them hooked on the club.

These are just a few things off the top of my head and I'm sure it would be easy to find out what other clubs around the world do to attract fans. Some things will work, some things won't but there needs to be changes if we're wanting to increase people watching the game in our country.

There is many things that can be and need to be done to improve the game in Scotland, this would have to be done both at a club level which United have control over and should be encouraged to follow. The other would have to work alongside changes to the National game and leagues, the sad thing is that any change will only be designed to benefit the existing eerse cheeks from the West coast.

The SFA, SPL, SPFLAPLFA or whoever is temporarily in charge of the game has to take a lead and positive role. To improve competitiveness on the park (which is ultimately the goal) a much better financial infrastructure should be put in place.

For example TV revenue should be better split, if there is no 'diddy' teams in the league then theres no-one for the Old Firm to play! Prize funds should be reallocated as a general playing budget across the league to encourage teams to become full time. Trophies should be enough for the winners, but cash pays salary.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    The lack of imagination in trying to improve the game in our country is depressing.

Summer football is an obvious starting point but that particular conversation never goes very far.

The price we pay is ridiculous. A flat rate season ticket for £200 that allows 1 adult and 1 child in would be a reasonable price to pay and help get our future supporters hooked.

Most guys that play amateur football on a Saturday afternoon support a football team but can't watch them as the kick-off times clash. Why not alter kick-off times to allow these folk to do both things. Say 1pm kick-offs for amateurs and 3.30pm for professional teams.

Regular Friday night games seem to attract bigger crowds - why not try this on a regular basis.

Invite members of the Young Terrors to come a bit earlier on match days and meet some of the players that are not involved in that day's game in the concourses (happens at some clubs down south and on the continent). Meeting their heroes is exciting for the kids and gets them hooked on the club.

These are just a few things off the top of my head and I'm sure it would be easy to find out what other clubs around the world do to attract fans. Some things will work, some things won't but there needs to be changes if we're wanting to increase people watching the game in our country.
    No thanks to summer football and Friday night games. Why should real football be changed to fit in with amateur leagues? Football should be on a Saturday at 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    There is many things that can be and need to be done to improve the game in Scotland, this would have to be done both at a club level which United have control over and should be encouraged to follow. The other would have to work alongside changes to the National game and leagues, the sad thing is that any change will only be designed to benefit the existing eerse cheeks from the West coast.

The SFA, SPL, SPFLAPLFA or whoever is temporarily in charge of the game has to take a lead and positive role. To improve competitiveness on the park (which is ultimately the goal) a much better financial infrastructure should be put in place.

For example TV revenue should be better split, if there is no 'diddy' teams in the league then theres no-one for the Old Firm to play! Prize funds should be reallocated as a general playing budget across the league to encourage teams to become full time. Trophies should be enough for the winners, but cash pays salary.
    How about all money being divided in 2, 50% used for competition prize money and 50% goes towards an average fan approval rating system.

The SFA would survey fans of every club based on value for money, entertainment etc. and the clubs with the highest average rating receive a higher proportion of the money?

Just a thought.

The matchday experience is as about as consistant as a scottish ref's decisions.

I can think of several friends that cannot afford season tickets, or even match day tickets and the experience can be a little daunting when they do muster up £20. Its a big big gamble to spend £20 on 90 minutes.

For some that can afford it, they may take their kids, maybe a kids pal, all of a sudden its £100+ once food, drinks, programme 50/50 are bought.

The tannoy announcers have little interaction with the crowd, the food is generally poor ( united pies are ok imho. ) and over priced. United have been sheicht! which doesnt help.

Maybe also relying on social media to much for free advertising too.... if your in edinburgh, hibs an hearts games are all over the radio stations and other mediums, bill boards, bus shelters etc. United are competing not only for pts but for the transient "what shall we do this saturday?" Families. And I think they are doing very little to encourage them as a true option, even if they knew about it!

A lot of the time we talk about that matchday experience of us already at the games, but really we need to get those not going to consider it a choice. if we cater to attracting new customers, not just supporters I think we would find the stands a little fuller enhancing the experience for all.

And just a PS ontop of that I wanted to take my football club to the Alloa game on Tuesday, so sent an email to ticketing@dundeeunitedfc.co.uk only to find it bounced back as not a proper mailbox!

Resent to two contacts within Tanny and still no reply. My query was along the lines of 20-30 kids coming to the game on tuesday. £10 is a huge whack for kids that don't support the club normally, could we do something pricewise and any chance of getting in as a group through a gate rather than a turnstile to keep them together....

Even asked if they had enough ball boys as the kids would be more than happy to muck in!

Guess what... NO REPLY

We are going anyway, but poor show United
    Last edited by eastfifearabman; 16-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Maybe they'll read your post on here efam.
    A poignant post.
    Come on Martin, get the finger out.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)