+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: O/T Improving Football

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    It's like drinking in the house before you go for a night out - I'm just taking it a step further by getting my fighting done at home instead of in the taxi rank.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    It wouldn't mean less money for the team if the right balance was struck.
    How so? Reducing prices to get more through the door has been tried and not worked. Ultimately folk will go and watch a winning team. It's the one thing that's proven to get folk through the turnstiles.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    How so? Reducing prices to get more through the door has been tried and not worked. Ultimately folk will go and watch a winning team. It's the one thing that's proven to get folk through the turnstiles.
    Where has it not worked?

It's a combination of the product on the park and charging the right price.

If United keep on winning every week, there are plenty of people out there who would like to go but can't afford to or choose to spend that significant amount of money on something else.

I reckon if a combined adult and child ticket cost £20, a lot more people would consider going. It's not a massive reduction to what the current prices are, but could be enough to encourage people back.

Motherwell tried it and had to give it up as, ultimately, it made no difference to the numbers through the gate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the club trying everything they can to persuade folk to watch. However, the biggest thing they can do in this regard is win.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    The only thing that'll attract folk to Tannadice is winning, pure and simple.
    Not strictly true, as per my suggestions, alot of the lads who drink in the snug moan regardless of winning or losing or price for that matter but for the fact the whole experience is usually pretty poor, nae drinking or smoking or bookies, to be able to stick on a couple of bets whilst having a drink at half time would be some f ucking difference, was only they minks from the west coast that cost bevy banned and that was over 30 years ago ffs, saying that they still cant behave now, anyways, clubs should try do something to about it.

The smoking thing isnt everyones priority but a smoker having had a few drinks pre match and then having to wait nearly 2 hours fr the next one isnt really fair. Killie, Hearst, Aberdeen but to name a few where you can walk outside and have a smoke as an AWAY supporter, absolutely nothing stopping us closing the gates of the East stand just before half time and then opening them again after half time to allow people out for a smoke, or some kind of enclosure at the corners of the GF and East?

People might think ffs, bevy, smoking and bookies, is that really what people want, well aye, it is for a big percentage of the normal working supporter. Give the people what they want.

Ram yer curry pies too and bring back Nichols ffs!
    Last edited by offshore_arab83; 17-11-2018 at 08:43 PM.

I need to agree about buying a drink. Anyone who knows me will know I don't drink so it makes no odds to me personally but I really don't see the harm in it. I mean if the inglish can be trusted to buy a pint at the match them we can too.

I sometimes go and watch Toronto FC in the MLS and they sell cans of beer to fans in the stands during matches.
    Last edited by TerryTheTerror; 17-11-2018 at 09:39 PM.

I need to agree about buying a drink. Anyone who knows me will know I don't drink so it makes no odds to me personally but I really don't see the harm in it. I mean if the inglish can be trusted to buy a pint at the match them we can too.

I sometimes go and watch Toronto FC in the MLS and they sell cans of beer to fans in the stands during matches.
    Yeah but the problem is you're dealing with muppets who throw coins and flares when they aren't allowed a drink at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Not strictly true, as per my suggestions, alot of the lads who drink in the snug moan regardless of winning or losing or price for that matter but for the fact the whole experience is usually pretty poor, nae drinking or smoking or bookies, to be able to stick on a couple of bets whilst having a drink at half time would be some f ucking difference, was only they minks from the west coast that cost bevy banned and that was over 30 years ago ffs, saying that they still cant behave now, anyways, clubs should try do something to about it.

The smoking thing isnt everyones priority but a smoker having had a few drinks pre match and then having to wait nearly 2 hours fr the next one isnt really fair. Killie, Hearst, Aberdeen but to name a few where you can walk outside and have a smoke as an AWAY supporter, absolutely nothing stopping us closing the gates of the East stand just before half time and then opening them again after half time to allow people out for a smoke, or some kind of enclosure at the corners of the GF and East?

People might think ffs, bevy, smoking and bookies, is that really what people want, well aye, it is for a big percentage of the normal working supporter. Give the people what they want.

Ram yer curry pies too and bring back Nichols ffs!
    I think you mean Glaswegian 'minks' not west coast. Don't tar us all with the same mad brush.

Motherwell tried it and had to give it up as, ultimately, it made no difference to the numbers through the gate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the club trying everything they can to persuade folk to watch. However, the biggest thing they can do in this regard is win.
    I was waiting for this to come up.

Yep, it has been tried before and didn't work in the ling term. That's because (in my opinion) it was the prices per game which were reduced. It still becomes easy for people to pick and choose games, and find reasons not to go on a Saturday.

If you cut the cost of a season ticket, then people have already paid their money and would be more likely to get into the habit of going regularly, even if it's not to every home game.

Buying a season ticket also builds that loyalty and commitment to the club which you don't get with paying at the gate.

As things stand the season ticket price hasn't went up for about 10 years. In fact, with the introduction of the early early bird prices it has wet down. Ultimately this has lead to a real price reduction in the cost as inflation has continued to rise.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)