+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Five comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

Original question 5) The general success of the club under Sir John against that of Assley.
    Ghost's reply
    Probably similar. A few lesser trophies won each.

You either weren't a supporter under the Hall/Shepherd era or you have a bad memory or a selective memory. Don't you recall all of those nights in Europe for instance. Humping Manure and within a whisker of being league champions.

Is that "probably similar" in your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    Hall and shepherd had less debt, WITHOUT raking in £100m telly money.

Look at all the players bought by Hall, they were ALL sold at a profit or money back. By the time the shares were distributed only £15m had been spent nett.

That was on ALAN SHEARER!!!! Worth every penny.

As kev said, the debt that followed was a mortgage, a mortgage well used as it expanded the ground from 36,500 to 52,300.

We have stagnated and moved backwards ever since.

No need to research the 5 points.

If you have lived through both regimes, you would be a fool to prefer what happens now in comparison to what happened then.

Disclaimer - my answer has been fuelled by several bottles of beer.
    Shearer. World record fee at that time. Assley can't even match that these days even with all of the T.V. money.

Could you imagine the fat slug developing the stadium the way it was in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    You either weren't a supporter under the Hall/Shepherd era or you have a bad memory or a selective memory. Don't you recall all of those nights in Europe for instance. Humping Manure and within a whisker of being league champions.

Is that "probably similar" in your eyes.
    I didn't know that was classed as success.
    So, are we talking about nearly stuff or actual success?

I class success as winning stuff. Trophies of whatever kind.
    And again, going by that I'd say it was fairly even.

If you want to come back with how many champions league games they've both had then Hall wins hands down.
    Is this what you meant rather than being successful?

If you want to come back with how many champions league games they've both had then Hall wins hands down.
    And your are not trying to annoy people? Okay...we didn't win anything but we were more successful as we were competing! It's quite obvious...and the only reason you would say otherwise is to hold on to your bizarre pride at having a different opinion!

I seriously believe that if you supported Man Utd you'd be arguing with other supporters that mourinho is better than fergie...just so you could claim to see the bigger picture!

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    And your are not trying to annoy people? Okay...we didn't win anything but we were more successful as we were competing! It's quite obvious...and the only reason you would say otherwise is to hold on to your bizarre pride at having a different opinion!
    If I'm wrong I'll admit it but success does not mean nearly winning trophies.
    If success is construed as finishing higher in the league than another team without winning it then Hall wins.
    If it means getting to Fa Cup finals without winning it, then Hall wins.

If it means playing more attractive football over a period of time then Hall wins.

If it means actually winning trophies then arguably it's fairly even or maybe Ashley just sneaks it. I'm not too sure.
    Is this me being annoying?
    If so then accept it as that because that's how I see it all.

I seriously believe that if you supported Man Utd you'd be arguing with other supporters that mourinho is better than fergie...just so you could claim to see the bigger picture!
    I don't support Man Utd but you are welcome to any belief you wish to have about what I would or wouldn't do.

It's not pride at having a different opinion,it's the high ground he takes looking down at everyone and he says the opposite of everything just to try and p1ss people off.
    There isn't a Newcastle fan alive that would prefer today's situation against the time where we went for it in all competitions we were in.
    He is here to wind people up,he isn't clever enough which is why he writes a novel for a response 99 percent of the time.
    Why else would he spit his dummy out and stay away when his mate got yet another ban.Its obvious they message each other to throw the bait out at similar times.Grown men,it's embarrassing.

Is that because Assley relegated us twice to win two Championship titles. That's not success.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    It's not pride at having a different opinion,it's the high ground he takes looking down at everyone and he says the opposite of everything just to try and p1ss people off.
    There isn't a Newcastle fan alive that would prefer today's situation against the time where we went for it in all competitions we were in.
    He is here to wind people up,he isn't clever enough which is why he writes a novel for a response 99 percent of the time.
    Why else would he spit his dummy out and stay away when his mate got yet another ban.Its obvious they message each other to throw the bait out at similar times.Grown men,it's embarrassing.
    I didn't at any time say I prefer it. I'm merely arguing points made about what's deemed as success.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)