+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Things that only seem to happen at Notts...

Things that only seem to happen at Notts...

I was thinking today, when we were 0-2 down, how in pretty much any league in the world, if you go away and find yourself a couple of goals ahead, the home puts you under pressure in an attempt to get back into the game. You expect to be defending deep, heading and kicking it out, and scraping through under pressure. But not at Meadow Lane. When we go a couple of goals behind, our players look like they know they've already lost. The away team doesn't want the game to end. I can't remember ever going to a Notts away game and seeing the same thing happen in reverse.

While I'm at it, here are some other things that regularly happen at Notts but not at other clubs:

- sign a rookie manager, go on about long-term plans, and then sack him after a couple of months.

- have three different managers in a season.

- splash the cash on players who fail to make an impact. This has been going on for years now. Hackworth, Haynes, McCleod, and now Dennis.

- Fail time and again to address the gaping need for a particular type of player. It's usually a decent centre back or a midfield general. Transfer windows come and go, and we carry on adding players that we don't need.

- end up with massively bloated squads but are unable to field a decent 11. This happened under Derry, Moniz, and now this season.

- sign 'ones for the future' who are clearly never going to make it.

- shoot ourselves in the foot as soon as we start to make progress, whether by sacking the manager or messing up recruitment.

- get sucked into endless relegation battles, regardless of what division we're in, and regardless of managerial and playing personnel.

WHY DO THESE THINGS KEEP HAPPENING?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I was thinking today, when we were 0-2 down, how in pretty much any league in the world, if you go away and find yourself a couple of goals ahead, the home puts you under pressure in an attempt to get back into the game. You expect to be defending deep, heading and kicking it out, and scraping through under pressure. But not at Meadow Lane. When we go a couple of goals behind, our players look like they know they've already lost. The away team doesn't want the game to end. I can't remember ever going to a Notts away game and seeing the same thing happen in reverse.
    Good point! On the rare occasions we get a lead these days, the last half hour is usually like the Alamo in our penalty area. The defence sink so deep the goalkeeper has to move house!