+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T They shall not grow old on iplayer

O/T They shall not grow old on iplayer

I watched this on BBC 2 last week and it is only on BBC iplayer until tomorrow night.

Excellent film about the terrible first world war by Peter Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    I watched this on BBC 2 last week and it is only on BBC iplayer until tomorrow night.

Excellent film about the terrible first world war by Peter Jackson.

I watched this when it was was first on, it’s a graphic and gripping colour account which is a must see. I’ve been telling anyone and everyone to go and seek it out on iplayer. With added colour and sound recordings of voices it makes you see it so differently to the usual fast moving black and white footage.
    Listening to the old veterans speak of the horrors they witnessed, some breaking down, some very matter of fact, it almost takes you there, awful, absolutely awful.

Watched this on the first night it was broadcast.

Very moving and very humbling.

I also recommend watching the documentary on the Somme which is in three parts.
    Very interesting account of what really did happen and not what the press wanted us to know, even worse than was reported. Total stupidity of our ruling classes at the time, completely underestimating the Germans. Intelligence blunders, egotistical attitudes, and shocking statistics.
    1.2 Million lives for less than 6 miles of “Shix and Fucx All” as one Australian was quoted.

And that was one of many many battlefields which are now confined to our recent history.

Also if you get to watch the series World War One in Numbers which is equally upsetting

Saw this on its premier at the pictures last month and watched it again on iPlayer Friday,also worth a watch is the last Tommie's on iPlayer.rip to all the fallen and for what they may ask with this brexit mess of the politicians making

Absolutely shocking and heartbreaking when you hear their own words that any second one of those bombs could have hit them and how bodies (Alive and dead) would sink in the mud and the chest height water in the trenches in the winter.

And out of 600 who went over from the trenches only 100 came back.

Yet, we moan about a bit of rain.

Never should that or any other war be called great.

Some of the recruitment posters were quite cunningly guilt inducing too, meaning some as young as 14 were guilt tripped into signing up, especially the one "what did you do in the war Daddy".

I only posted it as anybody wanting to see it for free has until about 10pm tonight on BBC iplayer or you will have to pay at the cinema like presume 53 did, which would be the ideal place to watch it though.

I was really suprised at just how good the restored film quality was. It was very chilling and poignant to see so many young men smiling and joking with each other in certain parts of the film. Almost certainly having no idea of the horrors they would be facing. Home by Xmas many were told.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)