+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: We can’t go on

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...illion-6941547

this was all spoken about in 2015 ,since then iv heard no update on how talks have progressed or havnt progressed maybe someone could shed some light on what ever happened to this project ,hewitson put himself in a good position on this matter saying that the club wouldnt be getting into any sort of debt with this project ,id like to hear if these talks failed or not .

Folks, - plans being drawn up are one thing, and they are the first step in any development, - you can't have a development without a plan.

However, I had to smile on Saturday when one of the fans around me, said that a couple of million would build us a new main stand...........and just where is that money going to materialise from?

Unless it comes from some unknown pot of gold, - that money has to be found. Now on home crowds of 1200, reducing year on year, who or what is going to invest £2 million in a stand that will never be filled?

Even Calvin Harris if he was the biggest Queens fan in the world, would be hard pushed to justify that expenditure.

So King Fae the Sooth is right, unless extra revenue streams are forthcoming, there is no holy grail, and even supermarkets are a thing of the past.

The only possibility is if Amazon built a centre in Dumfries and chose Palmerston as their venue.

JR said in an earlier post, - let's be grateful for what we have, - let's nourish every game at Palmerston and stop wishing for the unattainable. Sometimes, we need to think to ourselves, - "we're bloody lucky we've got this facility in Dumfries" - and maybe, just maybe, the penny will drop that the grass (even though it's artificial) is greener at Palmy!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Folks, - plans being drawn up are one thing, and they are the first step in any development, - you can't have a development without a plan.

However, I had to smile on Saturday when one of the fans around me, said that a couple of million would build us a new main stand...........and just where is that money going to materialise from?

Unless it comes from some unknown pot of gold, - that money has to be found. Now on home crowds of 1200, reducing year on year, who or what is going to invest £2 million in a stand that will never be filled?

Even Calvin Harris if he was the biggest Queens fan in the world, would be hard pushed to justify that expenditure.

So King Fae the Sooth is right, unless extra revenue streams are forthcoming, there is no holy grail, and even supermarkets are a thing of the past.

The only possibility is if Amazon built a centre in Dumfries and chose Palmerston as their venue.

JR said in an earlier post, - let's be grateful for what we have, - let's nourish every game at Palmerston and stop wishing for the unattainable. Sometimes, we need to think to ourselves, - "we're bloody lucky we've got this facility in Dumfries" - and maybe, just maybe, the penny will drop that the grass (even though it's artificial) is greener at Palmy!
    Nail on head.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby_blue View Post
    Whatever happened to this ?

http://www.qosfc.com/wos
    Forgot all about this scooby but I see it is still on the QOS Official Site and the last statement seems to be August 2017

Remember the Modern Era book had grand plans of stands for behind each goal and a new main stand built...

i agree jardi ,but the one i posted was coming at no cost to queens it was being done by that crighton development thing ,i would have liked to know if this has broken down regarding queens or no .

A decent dose of reality is required on a regular basis Jardi as you have succinctly provided. At times I do despair of the malaise that occasionally descends over the club and more so in this our centenary season leaving us wondering about the future prospects for the Queens. A word of optimism from the BoD would be a bonus is they have plans as to the long term security of the club. As to a wealthy benefactor, who in their right minds would throw cash in our direction at the present time and a few million quid will only paper over the cracks which are appearing in our structure. What we require is an investor with a vision for improving the revenue steam into the clubs coffers and I for one would love to see a decent leisure complex with the likes of multiplex cinema, bowling alleys and restaurants which would pull the Dumfries public into the arena area which hopefully would attract a few more supporters into the matches. Even have a discount scheme where there is a reduced entry fee into the game if they have bought tickets for the other events in the complex. Dumfries as a whole is screaming out for such facilities as it is a disgrace that a town of this size does not currently offer such entertainment for the public in general.
    I suppose I can dream on and you just never know plans may already be in place for such a thing. We also need to hear more often from the BoD because without the fans there will be no QoS so they are surely entitled to be provided with more in the way of updates/information from the club to prevent these periods of depression from manifesting too long as it does effect the supporters if they are of the opinion that the club appears to neither care or are interested in their opinion. It is not a lot to ask is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    A decent dose of reality is required on a regular basis Jardi as you have succinctly provided. At times I do despair of the malaise that occasionally descends over the club and more so in this our centenary season leaving us wondering about the future prospects for the Queens. A word of optimism from the BoD would be a bonus is they have plans as to the long term security of the club. As to a wealthy benefactor, who in their right minds would throw cash in our direction at the present time and a few million quid will only paper over the cracks which are appearing in our structure. What we require is an investor with a vision for improving the revenue steam into the clubs coffers and I for one would love to see a decent leisure complex with the likes of multiplex cinema, bowling alleys and restaurants which would pull the Dumfries public into the arena area which hopefully would attract a few more supporters into the matches. Even have a discount scheme where there is a reduced entry fee into the game if they have bought tickets for the other events in the complex. Dumfries as a whole is screaming out for such facilities as it is a disgrace that a town of this size does not currently offer such entertainment for the public in general.
    I suppose I can dream on and you just never know plans may already be in place for such a thing. We also need to hear more often from the BoD because without the fans there will be no QoS so they are surely entitled to be provided with more in the way of updates/information from the club to prevent these periods of depression from manifesting too long as it does effect the supporters if they are of the opinion that the club appears to neither care or are interested in their opinion. It is not a lot to ask is it?
    The key to a new stand or bigger is the enabling development paying for it. The WOS thing sounded great but was always seemed pie in the sky. Also agree that the Board should communicate better with the fans and the local business community. Have the club got a business club that meets regularly? If not, that would be a good start. Come on jardi, that's something you can get involved with.

Spike is on the case, what the town, nae the region requires is some real investment in a 10 pin bowling alley with an associated restaurant chain that helps to draw people into the arena. Rental from the restaurant and bowling alley would help to boost the coffers, with incentives offered for attending matches.

The issue, - as always, is the capital cost, ie the outlay.....where does that come from? There is no doubt that the right combination would be a success and prevent the drain of young people and families heading to Carlisle or Hamilton, - and may even lead to a comfortable cinema - but the problem is finding that golden nugget in the first place.

I'm surprised that any speculators/ entrepeneurs haven't seen Dumfries as a potential place for making money. A large town and population that go with it and no decent facilities talked about. Surely there is a niche in the market ? The amount of money earned in this region thst is spent elsewhere must be staggering. Carlisle benefits directly from Dumfries retail and facilities being so bad and in fact has done so for countless years.i
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 22-11-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)