+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We can’t go on

Scottish club football is on the decline and it's difficult to attract new fans or converts in the modern world. Clubs have to adapt or die.

Under the stewardship of well meaning local business people, Queens have had glimmers of success in the last dozen or so years, but attaining top flight status and breaking even year on year, has never been achieved. We've seen good advances and initiatives with the likes of the Arena, KGV and the like, but what's needed is a sustainable plan to improve the stadium and bring more money into the club.

We've seen outline plans to build a modern stand on the site of the old stand, which is probably not fit for purpose, some years ago - such a development with more revenue streams that make money seven days a week is *****. If the funding for such a scheme cannot be achieved, the club should look at other options like selling Palmerston and moving to a smaller all seater stadium, in the Dumfries area, again assuming a funding partner can be obtained.

No easy answer to improving crowds apart from signing better players involving more cash to build a better team. Unfortunately the region of SW Scotland is one of the poorest in the country and there seems little interest in Queen of the South being a bigger community club than it is at present within D & G.

Quote Originally Posted by KingfaetheSooth View Post
    Scottish club football is on the decline and it's difficult to attract new fans or converts in the modern world. Clubs have to adapt or die.

Under the stewardship of well meaning local business people, Queens have had glimmers of success in the last dozen or so years, but attaining top flight status and breaking even year on year, has never been achieved. We've seen good advances and initiatives with the likes of the Arena, KGV and the like, but what's needed is a sustainable plan to improve the stadium and bring more money into the club.

We've seen outline plans to build a modern stand on the site of the old stand, which is probably not fit for purpose, some years ago - such a development with more revenue streams that make money seven days a week is *****. If the funding for such a scheme cannot be achieved, the club should look at other options like selling Palmerston and moving to a smaller all seater stadium, in the Dumfries area, again assuming a funding partner can be obtained.

No easy answer to improving crowds apart from signing better players involving more cash to build a better team. Unfortunately the region of SW Scotland is one of the poorest in the country and there seems little interest in Queen of the South being a bigger community club than it is at present within D & G.

You’ve always plenty ideas but rumour is when asked to help out you declined.

I also heard KFTS was contacted about possibly helping Queens out and turned it back . This after always telling the club how things should be done. I suppose its always easier to offer opinions verbally than ever doing anything hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by King Dobbie View Post
    Massive game for the club this Saturday, Scottish Cup is our best chance of making some much needed money.
    This should be a game where Queens should try to make history,in trying to get their highest ever Scottish cup score.
    We can take five off of Ayr, there should be no reason for them to rack up more against a bit part Highland team.
    Once again,I suspect that GN will come out with the seasoned "It'll be a tough game" defeatist guff as per norm.
    This is another reason that "floaters" won't turn up.
    If they read/hear this p1sh from the manager ad infinitum that a game is going to be tough they will think "why bother?" when even the boss doesn't have faith in the team to win. GN Try bigging up the team and go in to every match with a winning positive outlook.It may influence a few more punters to come and see what Queens can do on the sporadic times we do hit form.

Edit.Queens record cup score is 11 v 1.
    With luck we could have had ten against Falkirk at their sh!thole earlier this season,so let's go about these hicks on Saturday!
    Last edited by Bagapapa; 21-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.

16th January 1932
    11-1 vs. Stranraer

Quote Originally Posted by CptQueens View Post
    Bang on! Surprised something like this hasn't been done but then again I am also not very surprised. Easy enough to pull together a free survey and distribute across our fan base to get a feel for the positives and negatives at the club.

maybe this should be on the agenda for the queens trust ,thay have done there bit for the club and have the clubs future at hart ,im sure thay will have what it takes to see something like this through ,but theres no point in taking a survey amongst the current queens fanbase ,the ones that need targeted for this type of survey are the dumfries public that are not currently following queens .cause even tho the queens fans have split opinions over the club thay all still attend in the end .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    maybe this should be on the agenda for the queens trust ,thay have done there bit for the club and have the clubs future at hart ,im sure thay will have what it takes to see something like this through ,but theres no point in taking a survey amongst the current queens fanbase ,the ones that need targeted for this type of survey are the dumfries public that are not currently following queens .cause even tho the queens fans have split opinions over the club thay all still attend in the end .

You don’t think the Trust will do Queens any favours after the way they were treated at an AGM a few seasons back do you ?

That’s just one of the problems though. We all need to work together for the good of the club but for whatever reason we aren’t.
    Full time football is not possible on current crowd levels

Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    You’ve always plenty ideas but rumour is when asked to help out you declined.
    Like many I was disillusioned a few years back and my interest in Queens waned, but not sure I ever actually declined to help as such. Difficult to know how I could really assist regularly from 300 miles away with many other commitments. I’m opinionated, but certainly not conceited enough to think I have all the answers. There are plenty of good people involved with the club these days. I’m sure they run the club to the best of their abilities.

Seems obvious that the club needs more money coming in and even more revenue streams to help balance the books and take the club forward. I’m simply saying, a new stand or failing that selling Palmerston and building a smaller all-seated stadium is one way to potentially achieve that as growing the fanbase substantially at Palmerston is very unlikely.

Whether that is feasible or deliverable is a bigger question. It certainly requires a lot of funding, community involvement and rich backers. A supermarket, big house builder or similar.

Would be good to have an update from the Board on the new main stand etc. When was the last time that we had an update on the club’s strategic direction from the Chairman or Mark Blount on the club’s website?

Quote Originally Posted by KingfaetheSooth View Post
    Like many I was disillusioned a few years back and my interest in Queens waned, but not sure I ever actually declined to help as such. Difficult to know how I could really assist regularly from 300 miles away with many other commitments. I’m opinionated, but certainly not conceited enough to think I have all the answers. There are plenty of good people involved with the club these days. I’m sure they run the club to the best of their abilities.

Seems obvious that the club needs more money coming in and even more revenue streams to help balance the books and take the club forward. I’m simply saying, a new stand or failing that selling Palmerston and building a smaller all-seated stadium is one way to potentially achieve that as growing the fanbase substantially at Palmerston is very unlikely.

Whether that is feasible or deliverable is a bigger question. It certainly requires a lot of funding, community involvement and rich backers. A supermarket, big house builder or similar.

Would be good to have an update from the Board on the new main stand etc. When was the last time that we had an update on the club’s strategic direction from the Chairman or Mark Blount on the club’s website?

Whatever happened to this ?

http://www.qosfc.com/wos

scooby like all the rest of the statements that have came up over the years we have seen projects for new stands and one or 2 for a whole new stadium ,it always leads to the same outcome ,big plans made public then thay just drift away into obscurity ,everytime i see plans like this drawn up i just say eye whatever it will never happen ,no point bringing plans out and big blueprints of stadium projects and things ,its all been talk in the past iv yet to see any of these projects show action taken .

all talk and no action .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)