+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for Mad Dog

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    The only previous manager I would have back is Cotteril.
    Me too, although I'm not sure he's the type of manager to rescue a sinking ship.

Edit after seeing Swales' post - Yes I'd have Warnock back, and possibly Big Sam.

(Before anyone complains about the way Allardyce left, don't forget the way Allen joined us and how he left Barnet).
    Last edited by magpie_mania; 18-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    No Warnock then?
    I think he’s busy

Paul Hurst all day for me.

If we take Allen we need to make sure that a funeral plan is included in his contract. He had serious heart problems at Eastleigh in the Conference and he's allegedly changed his nickname from 'Mad Dog' to 'Bipolar Kitten'.

Of the remaining candidates I reckon that Ardley looks just about the best and certainly experienced in this division.

But what do I know - it will probably a serial loser like Dean Saunders.....Haaaapppy happy days

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    The only previous manager I would have back is Cotteril.
    In hindsight the time for Steve Cotterill would have been after we had lost in the playoffs and then he could have had the summer to spend Alan Hardy’s cash assembling a team capable of competing and challenging at the right end of league two. It would have been a case of fine tuning as opposed to throwing the baby out with the bath water which is what happened.

If Alan Hardy is to learn anything from his predecessor and wants to take us to the Championship then he would be wise to look towards Cotteril or someone similar who is proven in the lower leagues and knows what is required.

After yesterday I’m just wondering if Cotterill is the man to steady a sinking ship or whether he would entertain this particular short term challenge. I’m a big supporter of his organisational approach and discipline especially in terms of defending which he got spot on in the Munto season and we desperately need that now so he would be good in that respect.

In hindsight Ray Trew’s first managerial appointment was his best and he should have just given Cotteril what he wanted when he took us to League One to maintain the momentum. Maybe things would have been different and we would not have had the numerous managers and players that followed (see my opening post on the “How did we end up like this?” thread) which must have cost as much if not more than what Cotteril wanted.

If it’s not to be Cotteril then another of a similar ilk and that is why a similar contender would be Paul Hurst with what he did at Grimsby and Shrewsbury. He is younger than Steve Cotterill but still experienced. Then there is also Neal Ardley with his long reign and success as Wimbledon manager. The only thing with Neal Ardley is he’s not proven elsewhere. So is he a one club wonder?

As for Martin Allen I really like him and was gutted when he left, and think he would be the perfect fit in terms of galvanising the players, staff and fans and getting something out of this squad we’ve got to think about his health and if he would want the stress. Things are not going well at Chesterfield but there is no denying he is more than capable and has a wealth of experience. He got Gillingham promoted out of this league and also has saved Barnet from relegation previously, although last season just fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Me too, although I'm not sure he's the type of manager to rescue a sinking ship.
    When asked what attracted him to taking over that Notts munto team his response was "because I can win". He spotted the opportunity, fair play to him, but the tone of that interview would suggest you're right.

MA One of very few ex managers I'd be happy to see back at the lane.No bull sheite from him, tells you how it is.Knows how to get the fans united.The cup game across the river,when he knew what it meant to the fans,he walked like the rest.How many Managers would do that?
    Last edited by irishpete; 18-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123