+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Mad Dog

Leave him at Chessie

No, he has health issues and this lot would finish him off.

Statistics, doncha just luv 'em.
    Allen has now gone 16 games without a win, but is also five games unbeaten. Chesterfield are up for sale and have had to get rid of all their best league standard players, it's as big a mess as us without the financial backing.
    He should never have been sacked, Trew was an utter prick to do it.
    He has since taken two clubs up and if he's healthy enough and still up for it after his heart problems and if we can't attract Hurst or someone of that ilk then please folks name me someone better.

Wasn't he sacked for of pitch matters

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Yes sniffing around someone, so he had to go

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Yes he was.

If we were in this position with less than 10 games remaining he would be the obvious choice. Longer term, he's probably not the manager he once was but I think we've already reached the stage where we can't really think long term, we have to concentrate all our efforts on just staying up and Allen is as good a punt as any for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Allen has now gone 16 games without a win, but is also five games unbeaten. Chesterfield are up for sale and have had to get rid of all their best league standard players, it's as big a mess as us without the financial backing.
    He has since taken two clubs up and if he's healthy enough and still up for it after his heart problems and if we can't attract Hurst or someone of that ilk then please folks name me someone better.
    I couldn't have put it better myself, Optipez. In case anyone hasn't realised, we are a club who are sitting in the League Two relegation zone, we've sacked two managers by November, and our players look like they've given up already. These are not the kind of things that tend to get a long list of good quality managers queueing at your door.

Paul Hurst, I'm delighted to say, has declared an interest in the job publicly, and if we can get him, then for me it's a no-brainer. The guy has had a short, difficult spell at Ipswich, but prior to that his record with Boston, Grimsby and Shrewsbury was stellar. He's still young, yet he's also experienced, and I don't doubt he's very eager to re-establish his reputation, so he would be my first choice for manager by a country mile.

However, if he decided not to take the job and we have to look at the rest of the field, and especially the characteristics we need in this position and with the despair that the club is currently in, Martin Allen for me is the kind of personality we need. Only last season he nearly achieved the impossible of keeping Barnet up with a stunning turnaround in form, and over his career his managerial record is more than respectable. Beyond Hurst, there aren't to my mind any better candidates out there who would want the job. Shaun Derry I suppose pulled off a similar great escape to Martin Allen, but fans never liked Derry's style of football, whereas Allen actually got us playing some very attractive stuff.

The only previous manager I would have back is Cotteril.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Have a quick Google of the amount of players Allen’s brought in at Chesterfield this season. I think only Salford are spending more on wages in that league. The vast majority of the players who’ve left there have been because he wanted them to to make way for his own players. The target there was an instant return to FL and they’re around 20th. I really liked Allen when he was here and agree he built a good team/shouldn’t have been sacked but he’s definitely not what’s needed now.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    The only previous manager I would have back is Cotteril.
    No Warnock then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast