+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is being Retired Better than Working?

Is being Retired Better than Working?

Daft question probably. I have been retired for 18 months now and I am enjoying it hugely.

But i used to enjoy my job and really enjoyed the banter with the mates. Between age 16 and 60 I don't think I would have retired, even if I had been able to but I think the time was just about right when I knocked it on the head.

I shudder at the thought of having to wake up before 7 on a cold, dark morning and do the commute thing.

I have plenty of interests to keep me busy...and you lot have taken over from my work mates for having long drawn out discussions about stuff that we know little about.

I think most of us have retired so what do you think?

I have been retired now for almost 10 years and I am very happy with life.

I still get up early and rarely go to bed on the same day that I got up. I still drive around 22000 miles per year mainly just for my own pleasure but I do also do a lot of charity work and have to use my car for visiting clients.
    I have done 2 world cruises and this has enabled me to take my wife to a lot of places which I had visited when I was in the RAF.

I was lucky because I enjoyed all my working life with the various jobs I had, however, you can't beat retirement because you can just do what you want, when you want and nothing stops you.

I have always enjoyed the cut and thrust of commercial business and continue to do so because I'm still earning huge.

I read this morning that our austerity driven government may well force up the retirement age to the seventies.

If you have adequate pension provision and retirement suits you, crack on and carpe diem!
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 19-11-2018 at 02:10 PM.

I was lucky enough to retire from the Fire Service at 55, my aunt, brought up in a different era, asked what I was going to do next.
    Climb every hill in the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales I told her, plus visiting every racecourse in the North of England. What about a job she asked. I'm retired Aunty I told her, she was appalled, a fit able bodied man of 55 choosing not to work, it just didn't compute with her.

Bollox to that, if you enjoy your job then you might well want to carry on working, I enjoyed mine, but being free of it is ten times better. The day I walked out of Nelson Fire Station with the bonus of ten years extra free time all to myself was the best day of my life.
    Last edited by sinkov; 19-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Heres a bloke who is just about to start a new job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-46252871

The BBC 'celebrating' pirate radio stations. You have to smile, they weren't so keen on it back in the day.

Aye Sinkov.

i bet this chap put a serious dent in their ratings

I used to love Caroline, Luxembourg etc.

I remember listening to Luxembourg in bed at night with one of those tinny transistor radios with an earphone.

The signal used to come in and out and many times I would doze off only to be awakened by a deafening rendition of "Won't get fooled again" by the Who, or some other noisy buggers.

Great memories.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to retire early.I only ever had one employer and started at 16 but in the final few years I did not enjoy the job at all,it had totally changed.My Company sent me on a two day retirement course,it was quite enjoyable.The first day was all about pensions etc but the second day was more about how you could spend your time.It depends on the individual,I did not need telling how I could spend my time because I knew what I was going to do.It is now almost 20 years since I finished work and the time has just flown and I wonder now how I found the time to work,I find myself without the time to do some of the things I imagined I would be doing,but do I enjoy it OH YES.

I retired at 51 , never looked back since.Everyday is a holiday .. Especially between March and November ..

People who say they don't like retirement should be put down and their pensions shared amongst those who do..
    Last edited by alfinyalcabo; 19-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Aye Sinkov.

i bet this chap put a serious dent in their ratings

I used to love Caroline, Luxembourg etc.

I remember listening to Luxembourg in bed at night with one of those tinny transistor radios with an earphone.

The signal used to come in and out and many times I would doze off only to be awakened by a deafening rendition of "Won't get fooled again" by the Who, or some other noisy buggers.

Great memories.
    Yes I was the same 59/60, I have a vague memory of some chap called I think Horace Bachelor, spelling out K E Y N S H A M, Bristol. I think it might have had something to do with football pools. In these days of wall to wall music, it's hard to believe how difficult it was to listen to the good stuff back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)