+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aspirations for the future

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    What division we’re in is less important to me than just having a team for myself and my son to go and watch that is a pleasure to watch and not a chore and an embarrassment.

Even though it went wrong at the end, to be battling away at the right end of the table for a change last season was great, with some big games and large crowds. Looking forward to going to games is sometimes as important as the games themselves.

I should add that it would be lovely to have some of our own good young players come through to the first team, but that doesn’t appear possible anymore.
    Without a decent(ish) academy you won't.
    Clubs in Lg 2 look at failed youngsters from bigger clubs, because running one is expensive.
    God knows what ours costs now, but under Doughty it was 1 M a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    There are also other issues that come into play because I'm sure our Meadow Lane lease is affected if we become a non-league club? So could the council revoke it? Perhaps others have more knowledge about this.
    It's protected as long as we don't go below the fifth tier

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    My current aspiration is for Hurst to be announced today as our new manager. He's a strong guy with a sound background at this level and doubtless has the player contacts to strengthen the club come the New Year.
    If it's Nolan, we are screwed.

This ^^^^^^^
    Last edited by SwalePie; 19-11-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Currently to hopefully select the Right Man for the Managers post who can sort out this Rag Tag Bunch of could not Give A Flying F 00 k players out it would appear from their performances, before they can take us to the National League.
    We are stuck with this bunch of Nolans losers until January. By that time we could well be cut adrift at the bottom of the league and looking at a future of none league football. Of those who were on the pitch against Cheltenham with the exception of Fitz and Turley the rest can go and rot in the reserves.
    I would send Davies back to Swansea, he was dire. I would send Thomas back to Sheff Utd, he doesn't look interested. Duffy, Brisley and Ward must be the worst ever centre backs to wear the shirt. They want sacking for impersonating a footballer. I would bring Bird back from Grantham to partner Turley in the centre of defence.

Here's a few aspirations from me, aside from the usual "I'd like to see us promoted and not relegated" etc

1) To see Notts run as a successful business

I'm guessing in football terms that would mean we'd need to be L1 or Lower Championship due to the size of our stadium and the state of football generally. But i'd like to not worry about Notts going out of business every time we have a poor season (which is at least half of them).

2) To see us sell a few players up the leagues for decent money

Another controversial one I know. But whereas clubs like Exeter thrive off this, we're awful at it. The likes of our younger talents like Hewitt, Husin etc could be sold up the pyramid for at least a few hundred grand after a couple of good seasons or nurturing. But it's much more likely they'll all leave on free transfers right now.

3) To have a normal-size squad with decent cover for positions

We had this last season. We thought we had it at the beginning of this season too, but it's all gone terribly wrong and now we have about 3 teams worth of players.

4) A decent cup run

Partly to lift our spirits and partly for the coffers. I'm not counting the paint trophy here.

5) To watch a team on the pitch who look like they care

Sigh!

Some great replies on this thread guys and if it proves nothing else it shows that as football fans we aren't really asking for much and shouldn't actually be that difficult to please!

1. To have a team that competes, week in and week out, with players who look like they care. Also, that look like they know how to pass a football.

2. To get crowds of 8,000 and be a community club, with that also reflected in the stands.

3. To have players the fans sing chants about (other than “You’re not fit to wear the shirt”). I watch most games on iFollow so don’t hear the pre-match singing, these days but I can’t remember the last player who had their own chant. Lee Hughes?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    What would your aspirations be for the future of our club?
    Appoint a manager and give him the rest of the season to keep us in the league. If he does, then there should be no further managerial changes unless we find ourselves in the same peril (i.e. actually in the relegation zone) by this time next year. Otherwise, be patient and build slowly and stop the nonsense about five year plans to be in the Championship. The only we'll ever get that high is by doing it gradually and not panicking when we have bad runs of form. We've tried constant chopping and changing and aside from the odd "new manager bounce" it has only taken us in one direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I agree.

Too many Notts fans think we are bigger than we really are.
    Players that come to the club, managers that come to the club, all day the same thing. Bla bla sleeping giant, bla bla should be a Championship club etc...
    The only thing that is Championship standard is the stadium... 20k all seater. That is it. Nothing else. We don’t have the attendances, the finances, the players, the youth set up to be considered anything other than League 2. We may even compete in League 1. But competing and hoping to stay in it is not enough for some fans, even on this forum, who would challenge the clubs ‘ambition’.
    It’s not as though AH and RT before him have queues of businessmen and consortiums wanting to invest heavily.
    We are what we are, and we are in the League we deserve to be in (for now).
    I said this on my very first post in the forum a number of years ago. Our 'natural position' is roughly about a mid table League 1 side if you go off attendances and finances. We have definitely been under achieving for a while now. I'd be happy if in 3 years we reached our 'natural position' and maybe we can start over achieving after that to balance it all out.

3 points on Saturday
    I just cant bare to look any further yet !!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast