+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perth Australia U16's academy team in England

Perth Australia U16's academy team in England

Not earth shattering news, I know, but my grandson will play for the U16 Perth Glory academy team against U16's Barcelona in Spain in a few days time then onto England two days later for a couple of weeks where they will play against U16's Man City, Middlesborough and Sunderland.

Perth Glory is the only professional football team in Western Australia and plays in the Australian "A" league against teams from the other Australian states.

I rate the "A" League as somewhere between lower Championship and League 1 standard in England.

It's not often a young team from Australia gets the chance to play abroad.

Early this year he and his team were in Singapore playing in an U16's seven a side comp against Man Utd, Liverpool Fulham and Valencia to name but a few and one of his team is now contracted to Fulham.

Last year his "Glory" team won the U18's Perth NPL (National Premier League).

Will be a big learning curve and just sorry I wont be there to watch.

Good luck to your grandson Blue, I hope he does well and most of all enjoys the trip. I wouldn't normally wish any Aussie sportsman well, but in this case I'll make an exception.

I bet you are over the moon Heeler, shame you could not get to see him

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Good luck to your grandson Blue, I hope he does well and most of all enjoys the trip. I wouldn't normally wish any Aussie sportsman well, but in this case I'll make an exception.
    But he carries a British (EU?) passport as my wife and I and his Mum are English--does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I bet you are over the moon Heeler, shame you could not get to see him
    Yes, dead right Altobelli.

But we were in England last November then Alaska last month and New Zealand next Feb so time and money beat us!

The lad is quietly determined to become a professional so maybe he can make it.

But as we all know its not just about ability but also luck and being in the right place at the right time.

Trouble is Australia is so far away that it takes planning and funding to try and make the grade outside of Australia where

opportunities are limited.

But what the heck--he's having a go.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    But what the heck--he's having a go.
    And its great he's up to a standard and has the chance to shine, and hopefully he does, its having to console them if and when it comes tumbling down, hopefully it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    And its great he's up to a standard and has the chance to shine, and hopefully he does, its having to console them if and when it comes tumbling down, hopefully it doesn't.
    Whilst I'm not certain this is the right course of action we have talked about what he wants to do if professional football doesn't work.

He is level headed and has an alternate plan--but I doubt he really thinks that way.

Every football wanabee has parents and extend family right in his corner.

It couldn't even begin to work without that.

Training 4 times a week at 6.30 am before school with the Academy; gym on Tuesday night and playing on a Saturday--try telling them it might not work.

I wish I had had his talent!

Just a hack amateur was I--but loved every minute.

Now just an armchair old fart.

Good luck to your grandson Blueheeler,hope he's a CLARETS fan.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Good luck to your grandson Blueheeler,hope he's a CLARETS fan.
    He humors me with the Clarets and does take the trouble to watch them on the Internet and discuss them with me--but sadly he is a Man Utd fan.

Whilst over in England he will catch Man Utd against Young Boys in the Championship league .

But he would snap your hand off for a Burnley trial!!

I would hope that Burnley permanents throughout my family--and it does!

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    But he carries a British (EU?) passport as my wife and I and his Mum are English--does that help?
    I suppose it depends on how he sees it himself Blue, does he want to play for Australia or England ? Australia might be the better bet, we do seem to have a whole shedload of world class youngsters coming through over here at the moment. But whatever, I wish him well, good luck to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)