+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EFL signs new 5 year deal with Sky

EFL signs new 5 year deal with Sky

Five year, £595m agreement represents a 35% increase on the current arrangement and it will continue to see Sky Sports broadcast live the Sky Bet EFL, Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet Play-Offs through until May 2024.

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/novemb...e-season-deal/

Kieran Maguire, lecturer in football finance at Liverpool uni, estimates it'll be worth an extra £650k a year to a championship club.

From what I read yesterday this isn't the best deal for the Championship and it could cut adrift the 2 leagues beneath.

In effect the bigger clubs could do much better with their own deals. They reckon that the 5 year deal is too long especially with the speed that the media companies are oving. A shorter deal could be better with better offers coming in when Amazon and Netflix get in on the act.

A great move for sky yet not so good for the clubs beneath the Prem.

Derby, Villa, Leeds (leading the way) and another 12 teams from Championship that are not happy about money they receive are wanting to produce another league between Prem and championship.

Ffs the EFL wants to get a grip on teams that think they are superior 😡

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Derby, Villa, Leeds (leading the way) and another 12 teams from Championship that are not happy about money they receive are wanting to produce another league between Prem and championship.

Bloody hell pal the Wendies have be thinking like that for years.I do think their bubbles truly burst this time.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post

I’ve been wondering about this for awhile now since my dad told me about this other day. What happens if they do split off from efl surely just splitting up and creating your own league don’t give you the right to put it in between championship and premiership. They would need the support from the FA to do this if they didn’t then the new league would go below league 2 if not lower?

If FA don’t support it no club from the new division could be promoted to premiership since the ones from championship would be promoted like always.

I like Rotherham football pioneer Herbert Chapman's idea from 1926 to relegate half the league.

"At present clubs know when they descend into the lower division that nothing but good luck and good fortune will get them back to the top class,” he said. “If 11 clubs were to go down the stigma would not be felt nearly so keenly. Clubs would have the comforting satisfaction of knowing that there would be an even chance of climbing back again within 12 months. A club would be very poor indeed which, having failed, did not succeed in getting back to its rightful class in less than three seasons."

https://www.theguardian.com/football...sive-but-merit